ADVERTISEMENT

Fredericksburg Christian 53 North Cross 6

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Fredericksburg Christian scored on every offensive possession in the 1st half taking a 34-6 halftime lead and they cruised to a 53-6 win over North Cross. The Eagles will host the d3 state championship game next week where they will face Christchurch.

The Eagles were simply more physical and more athletic than North Cross. Junior Blair Lawson exploded thru the Raiders defense reaching paydirt his first two touches from scrimmage scoring from 41 and 40 yards out for a 13-0 lead. He added a third touchdown on a pass reception from quarterback Darius Carter which Lawson took to the house for a 35-yard touchdown and a fourth touchdown on a 16-yard run in the third quarter to end the scoring.

Carter, a first year quarterback from Spotsylvania High School, ran for two touchdowns on quarterback sneaks and he passed for two touchdowns. In addition to the pass to Lawson, Carter completed a 53-yard touchdown pass to tight end Logan Sharp. He finished 3 of 3 passing for 133 yards.

Fredericksburg Christian was also dominant on defense forcing four turnovers and limiting North Cross to only six points. Lineman Byron Cosby put pressure on North Cross quarterback and defensive backs Jon Hall and Blair Lawson covered the Raiders receivers like glue.

North Cross scored their only points in the second quarter on a 4-yard run by Max Revercomb. The big play was a 67-yard pass from Revercomb to Ryan Dent who was dragged down at the 5-yard line.

The Eagles will now face Christchurch for the D3 State championship on Saturday.

1617151.jpg

This post was edited on 11/9 10:43 AM by wgarlick

I have seen both Fredericksburg and Christchurch play this season. Fredericksburg would be in the running for a D2 championship if they were in that division. Physical, strong, fast, fundamentally sound team on both sides of the ball. I expect to see them dominate when they host Christchurch as well. They had a great group of athletes come into the school this year to add to the talent already there. From what I read, at least a half dozen kids transferred in from local public schools this year.

Rocketballz, I have to strongly disagree with the idea that Fredericksburg Christian is going to dominate Christchurch this coming Saturday.

My reasoning comes down to one key factor: the battle in the trenches. I have also seen both teams play this season, including both playoff games, and my take is that both teams have phenomenal Athletes, both teams have big offensive and defensive lines, and both teams are superbly coached. However, Christchurch's line is much, much quicker and their linebackers plug holes much, much faster than FCS's O-Line gets off the ball. Christchurch's team vs. North Cross is a much different team than the one who went through three QB's against Shores on Friday and still won against a team that I think deserved to be in the title game as much as FCS or CCS. Any matchup between those three is a toss-up, and it would come down to a few points between Shores and FCS as well.

That being said, this game will not be a blowout on either side, in fact, I am not sure who will win.This will be an excellent game, one of the best we'll see in Private School ball and I see it being a one possession game for sure. The X-factor will be if Fredericksburg Christian can diversify their portfolio offensively like they did early in the season, or will they rely on Lawson and Carter all game? Only one way to find out. Looking forward to a great matchup Saturday.

I ve seen both teams play ...

Fredericksburg should be at least a 3 touchdown favorite over Christchurch .

North Cross traveled the same day to Christchurch , had them down 20 -14 at half with a TD called back .

NC came out flat in 2nd half, had a couple of injuries to key players ,endured cramping and basically

self destructed and lost 30 -20 .

Fredericksburg has to have the most physical overall team in D III.

Fundamentally sound , huge OL ,very good skilled players bodes well for them ..

Look at their schedule and who they have played ..

This year ,they very well could've been competitive in D II and maybe D1

But having said the above , we still lace them up and let it play out .

...And Christchurch came out flat in the first half against a North Cross team that, while they have good athletes, did not match up well with CCS's O-line or D-line. That's what showed in the second half. Cramps happen, CCS had a few kids cramping that game as well, and some key players hurt on both sides of the ball (2 starting linebackers, a significant contributor at tight end, and their kicker who since coming back is near perfect on kicks and PATs)

The losses against Trinity and STAB go deeper than the scoreboard for Christchurch, I can promise you that.

In terms of FCS's schedule, here is my take: St. Stephen's St. Agnes is not exactly a competitive D1 team this season, and having seen some D1 teams play this season (Collegiate, FUMA, and St. Chris to name a few), if FCS played a legitimate D1 team (Sorry to St. John Paul the Great, but the current system got them into the playoffs, not their team), they would compete for a quarter or two, but would fall short due to depth. Not saying they couldn't compete, just saying that their schedule wasn't exactly a stalwart (minus NSA, and the two average D1 teams who simply had more numbers, not more or even equal talent). I'll throw in Sidwell Friends from D.C. as a somewhat quality win as well. They undoubtedly have phenomenal athletes and a massive line, but hey, statistically speaking so does CCS athletes wise, and size wise they are almost equally large, and in my humble opinion more athletic up front.

Let me be clear, to avoid any serious conflict: Fredericksburg Christian is a darn good football team. They have earned every win they got this year, all ten of them. If they win Saturday by a hefty margin, I will be the first person eating my words publicly on this forum and tipping my hat to them.

I am not saying Christchurch will win on Saturday; I am simply saying that it will be one heck of a football game, and, as previously stated, will be won in the trenches.

I am looking forward to seeing these two teams battle for the right to be champions!

No, I saw both of the CCS and Shores games, and I saw Fredericksburg play Nansemond Suffolk and GCA.
This post was edited on 11/10 10:23 PM by rocketballz

You are right, North Cross line did not match up well with CCS line, but let me tell you, Fredericksburg line is the real deal. They are big, physical, fast, and fundamentally sound. Them boys play fast and hit hard. How many players did NSA lose to injury after their loss against Fredericksburg? Several is the correct answer. Fredericksburg is good in every aspect of the game. Some backs are quick and shifty and some are punishing bulldozers. QB is solid and fast the move as well as his WR's in the open field. Defense is by far one of the best man for man I have seen this year. Kicking and punting game is solid, even with a 280 pounder doing the kicking. I hope it is a good game, but my honest opinion is that Fredericksburg is by far the best team in D3 and then the next 4 teams are pretty closely matched, several notches behind Fredericksburg

Prediction is: Fredericksburg 35 CCS 7

I hope your prediction is off a little but you have seen FCS more than I have. I do agree their line is physical and has more size than most of the teams CCS has played, save ASCS. Size wise they appear very similar to ASCS but they are well coached and fundamentally sound on the O line. I don't know all the teams they have played against so I don't know if they can handle a D line that is very similar in size and strength to themselves. I do see that against similar opponents both FCS and CCS have had similar results. FCS's swarming defense looks the most impressive to me. I am expecting the game to be closer to the CCS/ASCS games barring a lot of self inflicted mistakes.

Oh, and don't kid yourself, I strongly disagree that there are 4 teams below FCS in DIII that are very close. North Cross would be a stretch to compare to ASCS and CCS, but beyond that they aren't close. North Cross is a good, well coached team but the fact is that the size and physicality of CCS wore them down. Make no mistake about it, North Cross earned some of their 20 points on offense (1 TD was a pick 6) but then they wore out.

Agree with that, they are well coached and play hard. Too bad Revercomb isn't bigger. Kid is a heckuva football player. I did hear ODFC schools are looking at him. Hope he does well.

Re: How is CCS doing today against Fredericksburg

Final was 70-19

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT