ADVERTISEMENT

Freedom/Colgan 112-16 Final

Gridiron1960

VaPreps Varsity
Jul 23, 2019
Bluefield VA
112-16 Final Freedom

What the holy heck? Wonder how many of those 112 were scored by JV? That’s just crazy especially on a running clock. Did Freedom run up the score or is Colgan just that bad?

Last edited:
112-16 Final Freedom

What the holy heck? Wonder how many of those 112 were scored by JV? That’s just crazy especially on a running clock. Did Freedom run up the score or is Colgan just that bad?
...anytime the score is north of 70, I tend to wonder what a coach is thinking... and whether a little bit of grace would be more appropriate.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
...anytime the score is north of 70, I tend to wonder what a coach is thinking... and whether a little bit of grace would be more appropriate.
If I was the superintendent of that school district(Freedom) I would have the coach in my office first thing tomorrow morning and we would be discussing whether he should continue in his position and, if I decided to allow him to continue, exactly what steps he would be taking to apologize to his team and the opposing team as well as ensure we would not be discussing a similar situation again in the future. I cannot fathom any situation where 112 points, really anything north of 70, constitutes anything other than lousy coaching and sportsmanship on the part of the winning team. I also have no doubt karma will be a bitch.

I suspect the subs were in early (at least I hope they were) and it is difficult to tell them not to play hard. However, as others have said, at some point you just have to do things like take a knee, get a short gain and go down or run out of bounds, take all but a few seconds each play to snap the ball, etc. There is absolutely nothing to gain by running up the score like that, and even the subs have to understand that as well and not score any more as hard as that may be for them.

Fifth most points scored in a game by one team in VHSL history. Most since 1967.

And it didn't take long for the offended apologists to come out of the woodwork. Remember that most of this game was still played with a running clock.

Last edited:
I suspect the subs were in early (at least I hope they were) and it is difficult to tell them not to play hard. However, as others have said, at some point you just have to do things like take a knee, get a short gain and go down or run out of bounds, take all but a few seconds each play to snap the ball, etc. There is absolutely nothing to gain by running up the score like that, and even the subs have to understand that as well and not score any more as hard as that may be for them.
What's the point in being a sub if you work hard, get your brains kicked in by the first team, and then are told you can't score in a game?

If I was the superintendent of that school district(Freedom) I would have the coach in my office first thing tomorrow morning and we would be discussing whether he should continue in his position and, if I decided to allow him to continue, exactly what steps he would be taking to apologize to his team and the opposing team as well as ensure we would not be discussing a similar situation again in the future. I cannot fathom any situation where 112 points, really anything north of 70, constitutes anything other than lousy coaching and sportsmanship on the part of the winning team. I also have no doubt karma will be a bitch.
Actually, the superintendent is the same for both schools as they are both in Prince William County.

And this is not necessary. If you want to act fake offended, go join the Women's March or make up some fake pronouns.

The only thing offensive is the losing school having a building with a pool that cost over $100 million to build and still state academic results continue to falter across the board.

Nothing fake about it. As a guy who has followed VaHS football for probably longer than you have been alive I find 91 - 0 at half to be pretty telling despite your red herring of a running clock. You can shove your women's March and pronoun BS where the son doesn't shine as well.

Reactions: PhoenixHS
In my opinion, I see nothing wrong with this if Freedom played their JV in the 2nd half. If I’m a head coach I would try to get my JV as much run at the Varsity level as possible.

Also, I did see Martinsburg score 84 in the 1st half of a playoff game in 2019. They played a shortened 2nd half with a running clock. Nobody scored in the 2nd half of that game.

By my calculations, that’s a TD about every 110 seconds in the first half.
LOL, knowing how old most of the game officials are these days, my heart goes out to them! And the poor chain gang.

• Haha
Reactions: 804 Football Fan
Nothing fake about it. As a guy who has followed VaHS football for probably longer than you have been alive I find 91 - 0 at half to be pretty telling despite your red herring of a running clock. You can shove your women's March and pronoun BS where the son doesn't shine as well.
Roughly 42 years I've been following high school football in Virginia. Probably not acceptable for you though. But go ahead and assume. Hey maybe you can write a letter to the Prince William.School Board about how you are appalled at what happened. That might make you feel better about yourself.

• Sad
Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Roughly 42 years I've been following high school football in Virginia. Probably not acceptable for you though. But go ahead and assume. Hey maybe you can write a letter to the Prince William.School Board about how you are appalled at what happened. That might make you feel better about yourself.
You are only 20 years short but there is hope you can still grow up one day. I feel fine about myself. A little sad for you at the current time.

Reactions: MascotMemorizer
Maybe instead of firing the coach who posted 112 points, perhaps the coach that allowed 112 points should be questioned instead? This score makes sense at the 1A level where you might have a squad trotting out with 13 kids on the team, at the 6A? Come on Colgan HC, put a better product on the field.

Fifth most points scored in a game by one team in VHSL history. Most since 1967.

And it didn't take long for the offended apologists to come out of the woodwork. Remember that most of this game was still played with a running clock.
Running clocks only start after the 1st half... unless each coach agrees to start it sooner. Both coaches can elect to shorten the quarters too... but those things require sportsmanship.

Unless Colgan was doing some stupid stuff, too, I can't see how a coach can justify this score. agree that he shouldn't be allowed to continue as a coach after this.

Maybe instead of firing the coach who posted 112 points, perhaps the coach that allowed 112 points should be questioned instead? This score makes sense at the 1A level where you might have a squad trotting out with 13 kids on the team, at the 6A? Come on Colgan HC, put a better product on the field.
Colgan has a new coach this year, they have won two games after going 0-16 in the spring and fall of 2021. Gap between the haves and have-nots in PWC football is enormous.

I tend to agree with you. I grew up with a father that taught me that if you didn’t like the way something turned out, then do something about it. It especially applied to getting my ass beat.

I tend to agree with you. I grew up with a father that taught me that if you didn’t like the way something turned out, then do something about it. It especially applied to getting my ass beat.
I just find it pathetic that the first thing we have to hear when something like this happens is "fire the coach".

Did Colgan request the running clock to be started in the first half? What were they up to to be down that much to begin with? Throwing the ball every down? I'm interested to know more about this one.

Reactions: FoxesPride
I think Oscar Smith still beats them. Probably a little closer than the margin they beat James Madison by last season (25). Probably something like a 34-21 if I had to predict now.
Honestly, I'd love to see this matchup! i'd feel better with the guys from last years team though!!

That's part of the problem, your reading comprehension. "Fire the coach" was not what was said. There is a big difference between "discussing whether he should continue" and actually firing him. Moreover, that discussion also entails getting a full understanding of the events in the game from the coach's perspective. There is also the matter that these two schools are under the jurisdiction of the same superintendent. Posters did not read or comprehend what was originally said and just immediately flew off calling out "apolgists" and hurling other personal insults. There are plenty of folks, particularly from older schools that have a different perception of sportsmanship and what is involved in beating an opponent.

That's part of the problem, your reading comprehension. "Fire the coach" was not what was said. There is a big difference between "discussing whether he should continue" and actually firing him. Moreover, that discussion also entails getting a full understanding of the events in the game from the coach's perspective. There is also the matter that these two schools are under the jurisdiction of the same superintendent. Posters did not read or comprehend what was originally said and just immediately flew off calling out "apolgists" and hurling other personal insults. There are plenty of folks, particularly from older schools that have a different perception of sportsmanship and what is involved in beating an opponent.
"agree that he shouldn't be allowed to continue as a coach after this." -- Maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension. You're not the only one posting in this thread.

I don't agree with firing the coach unless he purposely kept his starters in the game the entire game. In the six meetings between the schools the final scores have been 64-34, 50-7, 84-0, 55-0, 84-20, 112-16. I agree with many of you about slowing things down, but what is more embarrassing. Keeping the ball on the ground with dives and scoring with subs vs. taking a knee or not trying. Kids are not ignorant they know when a team is laying down. Honestly, I would rather take the butt whipping than having a team belittling me by taking a dive.

I believe my post was the first to mention his position. You said the first thing we hear is "fire the coach". Since my reading comprehension needs work perhaps you can show me where firing was first mentioned?

Starters for freedom were out of game early on. Freedom had JV team in. Would hand ball to JV running back off guard/tackle, and he would run untouched that very play directly up the middle. When you get to the point where you are advertising your running back getting the ball directly up the middle who is a JV running back with JV QB and JV offensive line, and he still scores straight up the gut from anywhere on the field against the other teams varsity, not much you can do.

The two coaches should have agree on stopping the game, and this is where both of them should be called in the office and talked to. The losing coach is just as stubborn for not stopping it as the winning coach.

Salem scored 77 in the first half vs Hidden Valley about 6 yrs ago. They scored 0 in the second half because they didn't want to.

Reactions: HooSprings
Starters for freedom were out of game early on. Freedom had JV team in. Would hand ball to JV running back off guard/tackle, and he would run untouched that very play directly up the middle. When you get to the point where you are advertising your running back getting the ball directly up the middle who is a JV running back with JV QB and JV offensive line, and he still scores straight up the gut from anywhere on the field against the other teams varsity, not much you can do.

The two coaches should have agree on stopping the game, and this is where both of them should be called in the office and talked to. The losing coach is just as stubborn for not stopping it as the winning coach.
Apparently it was 91-6 at the half. Great time to call the game. Not to mention Freedom scored 84 last season vs them.

I don't agree with firing the coach unless he purposely kept his starters in the game the entire game. In the six meetings between the schools the final scores have been 64-34, 50-7, 84-0, 55-0, 84-20, 112-16. I agree with many of you about slowing things down, but what is more embarrassing. Keeping the ball on the ground with dives and scoring with subs vs. taking a knee or not trying. Kids are not ignorant they know when a team is laying down. Honestly, I would rather take the butt whipping than having a team belittling me by taking a dive.
It could have been played differently and without just laying down. At some point in the 1st quarter, the coach knew this game was a wrap 47-0. I see no reason to keep starters in at this point. Nah we will leave the starters in the entire first half and score over 90 points. That's the problem I have with it. The 2nd and 3rd string players were able to still score 21 points. They may have scored 35 playing all 3 quarters. That would have left the score at 82. Real similar to last yr.

IMO, starters should have been pulled in the first half and both coaches should have agreed to run the clock and shorten quarters, not end the game. If ever there was a situation to do this, it was this game. This is an opportunity for certain players to get in the game and gain experience. BOTH coaches share the blame for what happened.

Colgan has a first year coach, so like the Hokies, it's going to be a rough season, but they have had some successes. Freedom is dominating on a level I haven't seen in awhile. Keep your foot on the gas, but use opportunities like these to develop younger players. It will pay dividends in the postseason and beyond.

Reactions: SFUWO and cutnjump
I can promise you, there is going to be more than one letter sent to the Prince William County school board regarding this. I will actually be highly surprised if the coach is not given a one game suspension. If you actually think that the northern Virginia liberals are going to deal with kids getting embarrassed like this, you are sadly mistaken. Say what you want but nothing good that came out of this game. 13 touchdowns in the first half and you’re telling me that the coach can’t adjust his playcalling to keep this from happening? Looks to me like that Coach needs to learn some class!

Reactions: CHUKNOW and SFUWO
I just find it pathetic that the first thing we have to hear when something like this happens is "fire the coach".

Did Colgan request the running clock to be started in the first half? What were they up to to be down that much to begin with? Throwing the ball every down? I'm interested to know more about this one

The sportsmanship issue for me revolves around this issue that both coaches can agree to do a lot of things to prevent this exact scenario! Not 100% sure but I believe they can shorten quarters, start the running clock early, etc. BUT, If Freedom's Coach and ANY other School admin like AD / Principal didn't request a meeting with the Colgan coach during this game, they all should face the district school board and explain why this happened.

Reactions: SFUWO and PhoenixHS
I think Oscar Smith still beats them. Probably a little closer than the margin they beat James Madison by last season (25). Probably something like a 34-21 if I had to predict now.
Smith just struggled with a less than impressive IRiver team. They aren’t exactly world beaters that are gonna breeze through the Regional. Dale is much better than last year and Smith is definitely not as good as last yr.

Last edited:
I kind of forgot the politics where this occurred. No offense, but with the radical lefties up that way, someone is getting in major trouble for this. I can assure you someone has already been hospitalized for an anxiety attack up there because their "safe space" was violated with the lob sided score and I'm sure some fans were "triggered" for an anxiety/panic attack. No question though, running up the score is wrong, but I've seen many of these situations where it's the losing coach that refuses to shorten the game or cancel the game, and has the "die on the sword" mentality that is equally as damaging to the winning coach who has his own ego problems to begin with. Sad situation all around.

6w73u3.jpg

Reactions: obguthr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT