ADVERTISEMENT

Freedom Woodbridge vs DeMatha, Friday, September 8th.

Can you imagine the parking lot before the game? It really would have the feeling of an NFL game . Incredible tailgating opportunity. Stadium probably holds 7 or 8,000 but temporary stands could also be erected to push capacity to 10,000. Of course, there is also Fed Ex field a hundred yards away….

Last edited:
Confirmed. Biggest public/private game in decades in the mid Atlantic.
Bosco played at Oscar Smith just last season. At the time that was probably a bigger game than this one. Bosco was ranked top 3 in the nation and Smith was top 50 at the time. Dematha finished 56th and Freedom 100th this season. Still a big game though, especially for Freedom.

No. That was a great OOS team playing a decent VA school. (See my note below) This is about a possibly legendary team playing the top program in the DC metro area for the last 40 years. MD vs VA, public vs private, best vs best.

Freedom is far superior to Oscar Smith-only ‘96 Hampton can be compared and they outscored them. Freedom slaughtered everybody they played and averaged 64 points a game. Virtually everybody is back including their qb who threw 59 td passes.

In the 40 years of USA Today rankings only De LA Salle has had more top 25 final rankings than DeMatha. Bill McGregor started the DeMatha legend now, 40+ years later, this game could cap his incredible career. In the meantime almost 20 DeMatha players have made the NFL, Bill has been nationally honored by the NFL (and many others-he is a legend with a 40 year winning % of .870) and one of his teams made the back of a Cheerios box.

De Matha has been ranked #1 or #2 in the DC area by the Washington Post more than 15 times under him. They have won the WCAC 24 times. Yes, 24!!!

And their three year starting qb and national class rb’s are back. They are loaded.

And DeMatha played Oscar Smith in 2016. And won, 42-7.

This is a special game that comes along once in a generation. Maybe a lifetime.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Senex
Bosco played at Oscar Smith just last season. At the time that was probably a bigger game than this one. Bosco was ranked top 3 in the nation and Smith was top 50 at the time. Dematha finished 56th and Freedom 100th this season. Still a big game though, especially for Freedom.
St. John Bosco (of CA) beat Oscar Smith 49-0 in 2021. Oscar Smith lost to Western Branch 28-14 in the VA playoffs this year. Then Freedom slaughtered Western Branch 69-14 in the state semifinals.

DeMatha vs Freedom is special.

St. John Bosco (of CA) beat Oscar Smith 49-0 in 2021. Oscar Smith lost to Western Branch 28-14 in the VA playoffs this year. Then Freedom slaughtered Western Branch 69-14 in the state semifinals.

DeMatha vs Freedom is special.
You do know that that Bosco game was last year? Smith also destroyed Battlefield 49-10, the team Freedom lost 24-7 too. Smith was down this year you can’t play that year by year card to try to grade this freedom team. Mater Dei & Bosco are on a different level an I know Freedom is good but your implying that Freedom can beat either team that’s definitely not happening. Dematha if I’m correct struggled with a down Phoebus a few years ago I wouldn’t expect it to be so special. I’d dare even say it’ll be overhyped that’s just my opinion tho

DeMatha beat Phoebus 24-20 in 2013 in their opening game. I said SJB won in ‘21. I am only talking about Freedom vs DeMatha in a regular season game next year. I am not talking about Freedom playing anyone else. I am NOT talking about Freedom in 2021. And yes, I believe ‘96 Hampton would have beaten Freedom.

Freedom may be better next year than this. Stone Bridge was Freedom’s closest game this year and they still won by 18 points.

I know nothing about Freedom before the ‘22 season.

I have closely followed DeMatha since 1962.

Not that it specifically matters but who all on the freedom roster are being recruited and highly ranked. The numbers they put up were astronomical but are there any young prospects to keep an eye out for?

Their qb had an extraordinary year but I do not know their individual talent. Can somebody help with info about them?

Their qb had an extraordinary year but I do not know their individual talent. Can somebody help with info about them?
The freedom QB has ZERO OFFERES! He’s only 5’10. His numbers were against a VERY WEAK SCHEDULE! Like it or not,Freedom’s national ranking was THIRD BEST in VA! They have NO highly recruited players. A bunch of Low D1 & D2 players. I believe Overton just got a Duke offer,but that’s about it. They will be drastically outmanned vs a D1 loaded Dematha.

Not that it specifically matters but who all on the freedom roster are being recruited and highly ranked. The numbers they put up were astronomical but are there any young prospects to keep an eye out for?
They had a DL sign with Liberty this year and a DB sign with Ohio. But it seems their RB Jeff Overton Jr. is their biggest prospect right now. He's only a sophomore but has offers from Maryland, JMU, Duke, and VT so far. WR JuJu Preston has on offer from Maryland.

Reactions: Big Drop
They had a DL sign with Liberty this year and a DB sign with Ohio. But it seems their RB Jeff Overton Jr. is their biggest prospect right now. He's only a sophomore but has offers from Maryland, JMU, Duke, and VT so far. WR JuJu Preston has on offer from Maryland.
Deep, deep respect for a degree from Duke. I’m a MD grad (half century ago (!), but a degree from Duke, Stanford, Harvard, Yale and a few others can ensure a successful career.

Reactions: VolNation85
DeMatha beat Phoebus 24-20 in 2013 in their opening game. I said SJB won in ‘21. I am only talking about Freedom vs DeMatha in a regular season game next year. I am not talking about Freedom playing anyone else. I am NOT talking about Freedom in 2021. And yes, I believe ‘96 Hampton would have beaten Freedom.

Freedom may be better next year than this. Stone Bridge was Freedom’s closest game this year and they still won by 18 points.

I know nothing about Freedom before the ‘22 season.

I have closely followed DeMatha since 1962.
If DeMatha played Dinwiddie in 2013 they would have been rolled by about 30-40 points and would have been fortunate to get a field goal. When you match opponents between Phoebus, Dinwiddie and Freedom they are even on the final point spread. With Freedom not having a legacy it is difficult to say where they will fall. Many of the other schools have multiple championships and others have even more finals appearances. This Freedom team was blasting weak opponents. Western Branch/Oscar Smith are even with both teams falling to Freedom and Phoebus by 55/56 points respectively. I do not see the benefit for Freedom in playing DeMatha. It certainly did absolutely nothing for Phoebus in 2013. They lost their best player to Dematha’s recruiting arm.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT