ADVERTISEMENT

Fuqua 28, Fishburne 22

I know it is really early in the season, and most private schools haven't had much time to gel yet, but Fishburne didn't look very sharp today. I'll credit Fuqua for some of that though, they seemed like the more polished team, but I guess they are in about midseason for after starting a little earlier. Fuqua got some good play from their QB ( I think #5), RB/WR/DB #7, and RB #30, and of course none of that is possible without the boys up front.

Fuqua was actually up 20-0 at halftime, as the Caissons came out really flat, couldn't move the ball, couldn't stop anybody, and found a way to commit some turnovers (halfback pass), but they did manage to get one break by recovering a fumble on the 1 yard line to halt one Falcon drive, but ultimately couldn't capitalize. They came out in the second half, #4 Quasean Napier scored 2 touchdowns and got himself an INT to setup a touchdown for the QB #9, The Caissons converted on 2, two point conversions and were up 22-20 at one point in the second half, but #7 (Joshua Davis I think) stepped up and gained big yards to help setup the games final touchdown and two point conversion (he didn't score but he got a chunk of the yards), and they also picked up some yards on a late hit penalty. Fishburne had a chance to tie the game and possibly take the lead as they were on the one yard line with 3 seconds, but fumbled on 4th down. Fishburne's last drive was aided by a HUGE 4th down pass interference call.

I was not very impressed with Fishburne and to me, they look like a shell of last year's team. They haven't found any identity on offense (it is week 1 for them though) and actually used a 3 QB system... Not a whole lot of size on this squad, and they showed qualities of a bad team today (lollygagging out of the huddle, fighting with one another in the huddle and on the sidelines, lack of effort especially by one of the best players on the team, fumbles)... Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a kid who thinks he is the next 5 star recruit take plays off when he doesn't get the ball, or not try on defense. I will not mention a name or number, but it was irritating. I will say #4 quasean napier is a solid athlete and he made some really good plays, as did the Qb #9, #17 (who is a tank), and one of the wide recievers ( I think he was 31). Still a lot of football to be played, but Fishburne has a long way to go if they want to compete in VISAA d2 this year... Bishop Sullivan would have beaten todays squad by 60 easily, just based off the effort and skill combined.

Neither team looked great today but Fuqua definitely deserved the win. Neither team is blessed with a lot of size or skill, but they have a couple players who have some talent.

I will say this, it was an exciting 2nd half (the exact opposite of the Lee/Wilson game), and the Caisson student section is phenomenal! They did lots of cheering and they ran the caisson flag around the field pretty much the entire game. They are my favorite student section to this point, but Lee High had a pretty good one tonight as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT