ADVERTISEMENT

Hermitage over Meadowbrook 25-21 in 54 Seconds of Confusion

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
Hermitage beats Meadowbrook 25-21 in 54 Seconds of Confusion![/B]

When writing these game reports I always find myself during the game thinking about what the storylines will be. So much can change through the course of a game and this one was the perfect example of that… Every time I had a thought of what the theme would be, something changed. There can be no bigger story than how this one ended
Meadowbrook won the coin toss and they drove 63 yards with Justin Miller running the ball and two Hermitage penalties. Hermitage did not fare so well on their first possession but with another crack at the offense, the defense came up big when Nigel Wilder intercepted the first Meadowbrook pass by D'Angelo Amos. Hermitage took advantage of the field position with passes from Rashad Robinson as well as the running of Johntae Wilson but it was a five yard pass to junior Ty Bates that got Hermitage on the board. Jesus Rodriguez who is usually money on special teams had his PAT blocked and that would not be the last time that happened on this night.

On Hermitage's next possession Robinson would throw for another touchdown on a 38-yard drive. Kaelin Snead was the recipient of this touchdown pass from ten yards out. Rodriguez's PAT was blocked again by Meadowbrook but they had taken the lead 12-7. Meadowbrook's struggles on offense continued after that initial scoring drive. Their second possession was a bust with Amos being sacked, their next possession the ball was fumbled and Suliaman Kamara recovered it. Hermitage however was not without turnovers as Khylil James intercepted Robinson's pass. Meadowbrook made good of the interception marching 55 yards with Justin Miller picking up the bulk of that yardage, 41 yards to be accurate for Miller on this drive. Miller might have been the workhorse on this drive but it was quarterback D'Angelo Amos who punched it in from four yards out and with the PAT, Meadowbrook retook the lead 14-12.

Hermitage got the ball back at their own 23 yard line and with a big pass to Johntae Wilson for 21 yards and Robinson running for another 20, the Panthers kept moving towards another score. The Panthers were however running out of time so they went with the field goal attempt but Rodriguez's kick much like his PAT was blocked and Meadowbrook took a 14-12 lead into halftime.

Like the first half, the second half did not start so hot for the Herm. Sure they marched down the field grinding out 63 yards with both the run and passing game but faced with a 4th & 5, Robinson's pass fell incomplete with Joseph Medina knocking it down. Herm was not about to give up, Jaden Miller, the Glen Allen transfer intercepted Amos pass on third down after Meadowbrook had been called for holding and stalled at their own 31-yard line. Just as they did with their first interception, Hermitage made the most of it. Marching 66 yards, Hermitage continued to mix it up with the run and pass band this time it was the run game scoring with Johntae Wilson punching it in from nine yards out. The Panthers went for the two point conversion attempt with Robinson running the ball but he was stopped short of this and Herm held an 18-14 lead with 3:32 to go in the third quarter.

Jaden Miller picked off another Meadowbrook pass when intercepted Amos again after Amos had lost eleven yards scrambling before Nic Jones got to him. Unlike previous interceptions, Hermitage could not take advantage of it and was forced to punt. Two holding calls against Herm really set them back on this possession and for the next couple of possessions, the two teams traded punts. Meadowbrook finally had something going but a fumble on second down cost them that down and the Panthers defense stopped Miller from advancing and Dallas Carter brought Amos down after six yards, one yard short of Amos getting the first. While Meadowbrook came up short on that drive, their next one after forcing Hermitage to three and out was much more productive. The Monarchs were hit with a flag for false start so the Panthers started from the 49 and within 3 plays Justin Miller was punching it in from 25 yards out! Meadowbrook lead 21-18!

Now for the crazy! With 1:30 to go in the game, Hermitage had the ball at their own 35 and after two incomplete passes they were hit with a holding call making it 3rd & 25. Robinson put it in the air and Amos intercepted the pass with 54.3 to go in the game. I was in the midst of texting and tweeting that Amos interception sealed the win when I notice that Meadowbrook instead of taking a knee is calling plays. I am still at a loss on that one. They did not take the knee and on 4th & 20, Amos took the ball and ran into the endzone for a safety… or so we thought. The scoreboard showed safety but the refs decided there was no safety. There must have been a penalty that negated the safety but if there was I never saw a flag. Meadowbrook repeated fourth down and punted and Hermitage started from the Meadowbrook 41. With two passes to Wilson and overcoming a penalty, the Panthers got the ball to the Meadowbrook 3 and from there Robinson punched it in. Making the final 54 seconds more zany is the fact that the ball came loose but from my vantage point I could not tell if it was before or after Robinson was in the endzone. The score stood and with the PAT, Hermitage led 25-21 with 4 seconds to go, the game was over and Hermitage begins the season 1-0 while Meadowbrook is left to wonder what happened.

SCORING SUMMARY

1st QTR-
Justin Miller 13-yard touchdown run, PAT good;(7-0 Meadowbrook)
Ty Bates 5-yard touchdown pass from Rashad Robinson, PAT blocked;(7-6 Meadowbrook)
Kaelin Snead 10-yard touchdown pass from Rashad Robinson, PAT blocked;(12-7 Hermitage)

2nd QTR-
D'Angelo Amos 4-yard touchdown run, PAT good;(14-12 Meadowbrook)

3rd QTR-
Johntae Wilson 9-yard touchdown run, 2-point conversion fails;(18-14 Hermitage)

4th QTR-
Justin Miller 25-yard touchdown run, PAT good;(21-18 Meadowbrook)
Rashad Robinson 3-yard touchdown run, PAT good;(25-21 Hermitage)

AFTERTHOUGHTS

I thought this game would be close but I could not have imagined the sort of game I witnessed. Both have talent, Hermitage maybe more than Meadowbrook and both teams clearly are hungry to win and won't give up no matter what. I don't really feel this game was a good indication of what either team has or will be like this season, I think what we see in Week 2 will give a better indication of this. Both being in 5A, I would love to see a rematch between these two and we might very well get it.

PLAYERS OF THE GAME

Hermitage Offense- QB Rashad Robinson 9 carries for 40 yards 1 TD; 11 for 113 passing 2 TD's.
Hermitage Defense- Nic Jones, roughly six touchdowns on the night.

Meadowbrook Offense- RB Justin Miller with 2 touchdowns and roughly 206 yards on 28 carries…
Meadowbrook Defense- LB Demond Bailey with roughly five touchdowns on the night.

EXTRA POINTS

Closest game played between the two schools.

With the win tonight, Hermitage extends win streak in series to three.

They kneeled on first down. Hermitage had all three timeouts. If they had kneeled on all plays, then 4 seconds would have come off the clock. By running plays, the thinking was to take more time off the clock. The call was an inadvertent whistle. The ref blew the play dead when the QB crossed the goal line, which should only happen on kick offs and punts. The refs screwed the call up. Again, MBK was looking to run time off the clock, which is why they were running plays. They had to replay the down.

The only confusion in this final minute is why the Meadowbrook coaching staff gave this game away.

You just finished a TD drive to take the lead, ramming Justin Miller down their throats. Give the ball to Miller, get one first down, get on the bus, and Patrick Kane and company go home 0-1 with their timeouts used, but useless.

One of the worst cases of clock mismanagement I've ever seen. Could cost them seeding, or even a playoff berth, in 5A South, as they will likely begin 0-2 after the Manchester game Friday. I've seen both the Monarchs and Lancers and, being at home, see Manchester as a touchdown favorite.

And Hermitage? They have plenty to worry about, too. People who think they are #2 in the Richmond area right now are voting on reputation, not performance. Last Friday's performance wasn't pretty at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT