ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs Looking For Game

Very eventful times for Martinsburg right now. They’ve done some swapping in their schedule all while going through a coaching change, granted it’s the coach who built that program to where it is right now returning on his own admission.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Wouldn't mind going back down Charlotte NC, please see if Mallard Creek, Chambers, or Hough will take on HSHS. Athletically those teams will prepare HSHS for a potential match up with Freedom in the semis.

Not going to be many teams left with open dates at that point in the season...I think St. Frances is looking for a game that week but idk if HS would want to play them.

I think Coach Johnson will play HSHS because playing private or prep schools does not benefit HSHS as far as VHSL points whether win or lose. Playing a really good public school benefits them more. New Bern out of NCwould be a good a test for HSHS.

Maryland vs. Virginia!
It’s going down October 13th, 2023 at Highland Springs as
@PHSWolverines will travel down to The Springs to take on the @gohshsfootball. This game will be played at 7pm and we are expecting a packed house for the game. This game completes HSHS schedule.
FwM5-s8XwAE1D-2

Maryland vs. Virginia!
It’s going down October 13th, 2023 at Highland Springs as
@PHSWolverines will travel down to The Springs to take on the @gohshsfootball. This game will be played at 7pm and we are expecting a packed house for the game. This game completes HSHS schedule.
FwM5-s8XwAE1D-2
Ironically enough, I believe this was one of the two teams Martinsburg dropped HSHS for.

Out of curiosity, will the contract for HSHS-MHS be made up in the future, or was nothing ever signed?

I really wished HSHS would have been able to put one of those top caliber NC teams on the schedule instead of Potomac, just for strength of schedule. I think Potomac is a 2A team in Maryland. I know it was late notice though and HSHS had to take what was still available.

Good to see that they were able to fill the date so quickly. HS will likely win this one but Potomac is a respectable opponent given the circumstances. Their enrollment would equate to a small Class 4 school in VA.

I don't see how difficult it is to set the district schedule for two years at a time while locking in home-and-home contracts with the non-district teams. Seems to be more of an issue in Virginia than it actually should be which is discerning since there are over 300 public high schools to choose from to play.

I don't see how difficult it is to set the district schedule for two years at a time while locking in home-and-home contracts with the non-district teams. Seems to be more of an issue in Virginia than it actually should be which is discerning since there are over 300 public high schools to choose from to play.
in central VA districts are not valued in FB and BB for scheduling as in some other parts of the state. Each Region does its own thing.

in central VA districts are not valued in FB and BB for scheduling as in some other parts of the state. Each Region does its own thing.
I respectfully disagree with this reasoning but it's not hard to see why. A lot of these coaches think they are in the NFL and could care less about local (district) opponents.

How about this? How about for these holier-than-thou schools, the VHSL creates a seventh class, or jettison the group to the VISAA or another governing body. An Open/Independent division for Football for all the coaches that think they are NFL coaches. This is for schools that are too good to play local teams and scoff at the importance of district play, and schools that want to schedule a national schedule can feel free to do so. The one condition is that you cannot play any other VHSL school that is outside the Open Division...same if the VISAA handled it. If you're too good to play district opponents, then you're too good to play other comparably-sized VHSL Member opponents around the state.

This way, you create a system where you can have the NFL/AAU wannabe coaches that can have the freedom to schedule as they choose and then the regular, normal VHSL schools can play in the usual, more traditional schedule format that most find worthwhile.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I respectfully disagree with this reasoning but it's not hard to see why. A lot of these coaches think they are in the NFL and could care less about local (district) opponents.

How about this? How about for these holier-than-thou schools, the VHSL creates a seventh class, or jettison the group to the VISAA or another governing body. An Open/Independent division for Football for all the coaches that think they are NFL coaches. This is for schools that are too good to play local teams and scoff at the importance of district play, and schools that want to schedule a national schedule can feel free to do so. The one condition is that you cannot play any other VHSL school that is outside the Open Division...same if the VISAA handled it. If you're too good to play district opponents, then you're too good to play other comparably-sized VHSL Member opponents around the state.

This way, you create a system where you can have the NFL/AAU wannabe coaches that can have the freedom to schedule as they choose and then the regular, normal VHSL schools can play in the usual, more traditional schedule format that most find worthwhile.
maybe you disagree but the regions have the final say. The RVA area do not have district basketball tournaments either for the same reason. They go straight to the regionals.

What they need to do is put schools in their proper classification for district scheduling.

I didn’t realize it was the team’s and school’s fault when teams refused to play them! It’s not being “unholier” when beating a team by 60 every year does nothing to help your team. If a team is more than two levels or divisions down,a team should have the right to not play them. For example: a team in the division six,like Glenn Allen, has absolutely no reason in the world to play Thomas Jefferson which is 3 to 4 levels below them.

What they need to do is put schools in their proper classification for district scheduling.
Some schools have sports they’re much better at than others,and it’s not even close. For example: John Marshall can play at the D6 level in basketball, but that’s realistically the only sport they can do it in. Year in and year out,things fluctuate. Last year I would have put anyone in the states at any level against Hanover in baseball. But I would never put Hanover‘s football team against a division six school.

The VHSL gives the Districts the authority to decide by vote who does or does not play who in the said district. Example per an agreement and approval from the Central District members Dinwiddie was allowed to waive playing Colonial Heights in 2023 so the could travel and play in Ohio. I believe the Capital District has done so with Highland Springs in the past. There is also provision that allows higher classification schools to waive playing schools three levels lower in classification in a said district. Again I believe Thomas Dale and Highland Springs have taken fair advantage of this provision in the past. Example: Thomas Dale (class 6) does not play Colonial Heights (class 3) in district football. I hope this clears up some confusion about why some teams do not play every team in their district. It's not about being high and mighty. Realistically, it can be about fair play.

Basically what I am saying is if you took 6 to 8 of the smallest schools in the richmond area and create a new district its would help out every school involved.

Basically what I am saying is if you took 6 to 8 of the smallest schools in the richmond area and create a new district its would help out every school involved.
The schools have ALL declined it! One even called it “back to segregation”. Staying close to the district they are currently in helps them financially to travel during the seasons.

The schools have ALL declined it! One even called it “back to segregation”. Staying close to the district they are currently in helps them financially to travel during the seasons.
and some the the big money games for the small school are at the bigger schools.
and
this is NOT all about football.
Some of the biggest money makers for JM hoops is at the big western Henrico schools. The new Sports and Event Center is gonna be a boon for hoops

The current situation does not help schools like Thomas Dale, Highland Springs, Manchester etc....

and some the the big money games for the small school are at the bigger schools.
and
this is NOT all about football.
Some of the biggest money makers for JM hoops is at the big western Henrico schools. The new Sports and Event Center is gonna be a boon for hoops
Football “drives the bus”! For JM b-ball IS the moneymaker but understand,those West End Henrico schools care far more about the clubhouse sports than they do b-ball. There were less than 200 fans at the JM vs JRTucker football game. It’s less traveled but I venture to say it would be a better game if John Marshall traveled further down and played Colonial Heights or Petersburg.

Football “drives the bus”! For JM b-ball IS the moneymaker but understand,those West End Henrico schools care far more about the clubhouse sports than they do b-ball. There were less than 200 fans at the JM vs JRTucker football game. It’s less traveled but I venture to say it would be a better game if John Marshall traveled further down and played Colonial Heights or Petersburg.
but Tucker-JM hoops was sold out so that is bus they are driving.

but Tucker-JM hoops was sold out so that is bus they are driving.
There’s a huge difference financially from 2000 people in a football stadium to 300 people in a basketball gym. Those schools have stated they do not want their own district!

I don‘t necessarily agree with you, but I do understand your frustration. The thing that is so scary about what you are saying is many of us diehard traditional fans fear that little by little, NIL, and the rising number of high profile “national” games, are going to create an opportunity and environment for AAU type organizations to draw kids from the public school ranks and basically create a “league” that competes with the VHSL.

I don’t like what I see happening to high school athletics. And what’s so frustrating is that there is almost nothing that can be done stop this evolution from purely innocent amateur sports to something that functions more like an opportunistic business/club level activity.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
I didn’t realize it was the team’s and school’s fault when teams refused to play them! It’s not being “unholier” when beating a team by 60 every year does nothing to help your team. If a team is more than two levels or divisions down,a team should have the right to not play them. For example: a team in the division six,like Glenn Allen, has absolutely no reason in the world to play Thomas Jefferson which is 3 to 4 levels below them.
Colonial Heights is a classic example of this problem. CH being forced to play their Central District opponents in football serves no purpose.

I’ve said this many times, my hat is off to those kids at Colonial Heights that come out and go through the rigors of working out and preparing for a football season that they know is going to result in them getting their brains beat out in more than half of their games, NO MATTER HOW WELL THEY PREPARE.

Does this serve a purpose?

In football and football only, I believe that there should be an easy way to allow a school in a situation like CH to substitute opponents that are more appropriate to their abilities.

Having said that, CH has had the opportunity to modify their schedule A little. Thomas Dale and CH agreed to not play each other because of the disparity in Class level. CH is a Class 3 and Thomas Dale is a Class 6. Sheerly from fate, CH had a second game that allowed them to schedule another more appropriate opponent. This came about when Dinwiddie was offered the opportunity to play a game in Ohio. (A big thank you goes out to CH for working hard to find an opponent that allowed Dinwiddie to take advantage of this opportunity.)

So, by fate, CH has been able to partially do what I propose should be the norm for football season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT