ADVERTISEMENT

Highland Springs versus Thomas Dale???

HooSprings

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 13, 2018
Was anybody at the scrimmage that can give any details? I know the entire second half was nothing but second string, and third string. I also know the score at halftime was 14-7 Highland Springs leading, using the first strings. Can anybody give me any details of the first half, because I really don’t care about the second half.

Reactions: springer76
I was there, HSHS has a very big front line offensively. HSHS offense started a little slow in the 1st quarter but picked things up and looked dominant in the second quarter. Kristian Martin threw an interception in the 1st quarter forcing the ball into double coverage in the 1st quarter. Then Dale QB threw a perfect 40 yard dime to his wr and Dale went up 7-0 to end the first quarter. HSHS defense was stingy in the 1 half only giving up the one td. Dale has a massive o line but HSHS stuffed the run throughout and there only issue was allowing Dale qb to scramble a couple of times and break containment. Kristian Martin was almost perfect in the second half leading HSHS to 2 straight td drives. 1st one was a 45 yard bomb to the wr up the seam and the second td was a 40 yard run by Jaymon Lewis safety/rb. HSHS has a few things to clean up on both sides of the ball but they look poised to make another state run.

HSHS got dominated by Dale. Neither team could play with the Huguenot Falcons! They don’t want this smoke. Coach Scott better than HSHS and Dale coach! They not on his level! Watch this Huguenot team go 10-0!
Coach Scott has not had a winning team since he coached the 12 and under team with the hurricanes. Huguenot has a few good players,but will be lucky to finish 5-5, and even make the playoffs. The only smoke Huguenot has is the gas coming out of that coaches mouth. You need to worry about Dinwiddie and Varina before you step up to this monster at Highland Springs. Huguenot is a few years away from having anything remotely close to what those three teams have. Unlike the Huguenot Coach, the Highland Springs coach plays nationally ranked teams, and actually beats them. Maybe he should stick to playing TJ! Js

Also….Not sure which game you were watching,but with the starters in,Highland Springs led 14 to 7. Dale dominated the second and third string in the second half. 🤫🤫🤫

I was there, HSHS has a very big front line offensively. HSHS offense started a little slow in the 1st quarter but picked things up and looked dominant in the second quarter. Kristian Martin threw an interception in the 1st quarter forcing the ball into double coverage in the 1st quarter. Then Dale QB threw a perfect 40 yard dime to his wr and Dale went up 7-0 to end the first quarter. HSHS defense was stingy in the 1 half only giving up the one td. Dale has a massive o line but HSHS stuffed the run throughout and there only issue was allowing Dale qb to scramble a couple of times and break containment. Kristian Martin was almost perfect in the second half leading HSHS to 2 straight td drives. 1st one was a 45 yard bomb to the wr up the seam and the second td was a 40 yard run by Jaymon Lewis safety/rb. HSHS has a few things to clean up on both sides of the ball but they look poised to make another state run.
If you were there then you saw HSHS score both tds on the Grey team (2nd team) They didn't get a first down against the Maroon team (1st Team) They (TD) subbed the entire 11 on defense every other series. Now, TDs run game needs some work for sure, but Minter wasn't doing his usual being the QBs were off limits. It was a scrimmage so take it for what it's worth. Both teams look to make some noise. HSHS fans have fun ripping this post apart, yall got it.

Reactions: HooSprings
If you were there then you saw HSHS score both tds on the Grey team (2nd team) They didn't get a first down against the Maroon team (1st Team) They (TD) subbed the entire 11 on defense every other series. Now, TDs run game needs some work for sure, but Minter wasn't doing his usual being the QBs were off limits. It was a scrimmage so take it for what it's worth. Both teams look to make some noise. HSHS fans have fun ripping this post apart, yall got it.
I can agree with the fact that both teams look completely different in a live game, because both quarterbacks in the open field have ridiculous skills. It’s easy to defend the read-option When you know the quarterback is not going to carry the ball. The Last thing I want is for Martin to take an unnecessary hit in a meaningless scrimmage game. I’m sure Dale fans feel the same about Minter. These games are about getting your timing down versus another face. These two very good teams need to face different faces. I said the same last week when the HS defense shut out Dinwiddie and Glass. The ACTUAL starting D never played all 11 at a time. The starting offense never played a single down either. These coaches are seeing who they can depend on in case of injuries. They already know what the REAL starters can do. HS has 4-5 transfers and I’m sure they need to see their chemistry with the returning players. Maybe these 2 will see each other in the playoffs.

Reactions: Dripping
HSHS 13 to 7 first half last year. But it was a great Benefit game
That’s right! I’m thinking the year before, when Martin was in his first year of being a starter. Thank u! I wasn’t able to make last year‘s game because of health issues.

Reactions: Dripping
Just a thought. It's interesting they decided to still scrimmage each other considering they're both in the same region now. That probably had something to do with some of the decision making also.

HSHS got dominated by Dale. Neither team could play with the Huguenot Falcons! They don’t want this smoke. Coach Scott better than HSHS and Dale coach! They not on his level! Watch this Huguenot team go 10-0!
Hey bro I believe Richmond Funnybone has amateur night every Wednesday night, you really should take your act up there because you're funny asf. No one takes you serious. Huguenot hasn't been good since McFee left. It will take Scott a couple years to build that squad into something decent.

I'm not going to rip this apart I was at the scrimmage, both teams left their starters in on both sides through the 1st half, I don't know where you got your info from. One of my guys is a o line coach for TD.

Just a thought. It's interesting they decided to still scrimmage each other considering they're both in the same region now. That probably had something to do with some of the decision making

Just a thought. It's interesting they decided to still scrimmage each other considering they're both in the same region now. That probably had something to do with some of the decision making also.
Johnson in the past would not have played a playoff opponent in the regular season or scrimmage but at this point I don't think he cares. Don't forget they have Manchester 2nd game of the season and Manchester will definitely be a playoff contender. At this point I don't think Johnson cares anymore because he believes his program is that dominant.

Reactions: GoBlue2109
Johnson in the past would not have played a playoff opponent in the regular season or scrimmage but at this point I don't think he cares. Don't forget they have Manchester 2nd game of the season and Manchester will definitely be a playoff contender. At this point I don't think Johnson cares anymore because he believes his program is that dominant.
Yea that Manchester game is huge. Feels like they're flying under the radar somehow. I think they're a real threat to win the region.

I'm not going to rip this apart I was at the scrimmage, both teams left their starters in on both sides through the 1st half, I don't know where you got your info from. One of my guys is a o line coach for TD.
Which one? There are 2 OL & 1 DL

How about my info came from my guy who is a defensive coach. What do I know. But you got it 👍

Last edited:
Hey bro I believe Richmond Funnybone has amateur night every Wednesday night, you really should take your act up there because you're funny asf. No one takes you serious. Huguenot hasn't been good since McFee left. It will take Scott a couple years to build that squad into something decent.
No one takes me serious? If Coach Scott was head coach at Thomas Dale dey would have won 10 state championships by now! Period. Yo coach don’t even get kids in school.

Yea that Manchester game is huge. Feels like they're flying under the radar somehow. I think they're a real threat to win the region.
Springers' schedule is no joke this year! You could
say "battle tested"?

20238/25Miramar, FLHomeHighland SpringsVictor W. Kreiter StadiumLoren Johnson
20239/1ManchesterHomeHighland SpringsVictor W. Kreiter StadiumLoren Johnson
20239/8MauryAwayNorfolkPowhatan FieldLoren Johnson
20239/15I. C. NorcomHomeHighland SpringsVictor W. Kreiter StadiumLoren Johnson
20239/22RiverbendHomeHighland SpringsVictor W. Kreiter StadiumLoren Johnson
202310/5HenricoAwayHenricoChappell StadiumLoren Johnson
202310/13Potomac, MDHomeHighland SpringsVictor W. Kreiter StadiumLoren Johnson
202310/21HermitageAwayRichmondChester E. Fritz StadiumLoren Johnson
202310/28VarinaHomeHighland SpringsVictor W. Kreiter StadiumLoren Johnson
202311/3HanoverAwayMechanicsvilleLoren Johnson

What's up @springer76? I hope all is well with you. That is a very tough schedule and the Springers will need their depth to get through. They have the talent to run the regular season table, but they cannot have a bad week. I like Highland Springs size, speed, depth, and coaching. Martin needs to maintain his consistency and keep the turnovers down like last year. From the video I watched of the scrimmage I think the missing elements are the bruising, ball control running game to keep teams honest and interior line play on the defense. The pieces are there and I have full confidence in Coach Johnson's ability to make things work. Can the Springers win the region and class 6 title? Yes, but this may be their toughest overall test yet.

On a side note, Highland Springs is extremely fortunate to have a very talented athletic director. Coach Daniels continues to impress me with his hard work, dedication, and unselfish promotion of RVA sports. Good luck to the Springers.

A little insight for the Huguenot faithful... They seem to want to elevate the Falcons above and beyond everybody else, but these sites the actually do rankings don't think the same way. They think a little more like I believe where they belong. Behold Maxpreps rankings of Huguenot HS Richmond, VA... #246 in State of Virginia. #50 in Class 4A. Lol! Who are these buffoons that think they are #1?

What's up @springer76? I hope all is well with you. That is a very tough schedule and the Springers will need their depth to get through. They have the talent to run the regular season table, but they cannot have a bad week. I like Highland Springs size, speed, depth, and coaching. Martin needs to maintain his consistency and keep the turnovers down like last year. From the video I watched of the scrimmage I think the missing elements are the bruising, ball control running game to keep teams honest and interior line play on the defense. The pieces are there and I have full confidence in Coach Johnson's ability to make things work. Can the Springers win the region and class 6 title? Yes, but this may be their toughest overall test yet.

On a side note, Highland Springs is extremely fortunate to have a very talented athletic director. Coach Daniels continues to impress me with his hard work, dedication, and unselfish promotion of RVA sports. Good luck to the Springers.
I'm doing well BN! Looking forward to football season to get started! I've been making some nice changes around the homestead and taking much better care of myself!

Reactions: BleedingNavy
Which one? There are 2 OL & 1 DL

How about my info came from my guy who is a defensive coach. What do I know. But you got it 👍
Defensive coordinator, said he was doing the exact same thing a Highland Springs was doing in the first half , and that was rotating one or two players out on every play to work on the depth with the majority of the first string remaining on the field at all times. Nine of the starters were out there when both scores occurred. The running back that scored for a Highland Springs on the long run, was actually the back up running back, working with the rest of the first string. This is what scrimmages her for.

I appreciate the constructive criticism. The bruising RBs are there. One has a Navy offer and the other has committed to VT as a Safety. The OL has 2 NEW faces,from another school,and despite both of them holding offers,they’re taking time to gel with the other 3 returning starters. I’m seeing the new faces are getting used to our program. The lack of confidence in the depth concerns me,but Johnson has 2 weeks to work on them before they start the gauntlet. It’s a tough division and anyone coming out of our region will have to beat 4-5 really good teams to win the state. Seeding may become very important.

I appreciate the constructive criticism. The bruising RBs are there. One has a Navy offer and the other has committed to VT as a Safety. The OL has 2 NEW faces,from another school,and despite both of them holding offers,they’re taking time to gel with the other 3 returning starters. I’m seeing the new faces are getting used to our program. The lack of confidence in the depth concerns me,but Johnson has 2 weeks to work on them before they start the gauntlet. It’s a tough division and anyone coming out of our region will have to beat 4-5 really good teams to win the state. Seeding may become very important.
I wasn't really being overly critical. The Springers are super talented, but need to sure up a few things like everybody else. The top six teams in Region A are all solid and the regional semis and final are going to be fun to follow. I love the idea of HSHS creating a new rivalry with Oscar Smith. 757vs. 804. Let's dominate!

I wasn't really being overly critical. The Springers are super talented, but need to sure up a few things like everybody else. The top six teams in Region A are all solid and the regional semis and final are going to be fun to follow. I love the idea of HSHS creating a new rivalry with Oscar Smith. 757vs. 804. Let's dominate!
I'm excited to see HS in full action, full speed! I know they are going to be hard to beat along with everyone else wants a piece of HS's a$$! Let's rumble!! I'll be watching you guys this weekend and God bless your kids and show them what Virginia's best is all about!

The proper phrase should’ve been analysis not constructive criticism! My bad!

It's all good @HooSprings. I didn't take offense to your comment at all. I just love to talk football and root for everything 804. I will never forget the excitement of beating three straight 757 teams in the 2013 playoffs and Navy Nation chanting "804". A few General fans visited HSHS when you played Chambers the first time and we cheered our butts off. Same for Hopewell and Varina when they played in the final. We have to stick together.

It's all good @HooSprings. I didn't take offense to your comment at all. I just love to talk football and root for everything 804. I will never forget the excitement of beating three straight 757 teams in the 2013 playoffs and Navy Nation chanting "804". A few General fans visited HSHS when you played Chambers the first time and we cheered our butts off. Same for Hopewell and Varina when they played in the final. We have to stick together.
Yes we do need to stick together! I hope we can all get together again soon. I called DP today, didn't get an answer. Hope hope he's ok.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT