ADVERTISEMENT

Honaker vs George Wythe Girls

2kings4

VaPreps Rookie
Nov 24, 2016
Winchester,VA
Honaker on 12/10 played George Wythe @ Virginia High and lost 39-58. Honaker can't beat the maroons, GW will play PM or Surry for the title next Thurs. It looks like a PM vs GW rematch and PM can't beat them neither. George Wythe was a lot better than I thought they would be this year, those 8 senior girls are all good kids and have worked hard to be successful. They have earned it.
East teams definitely looked fatigued playing the west, I thought Eastside was going to pull it out also. Let me say this, these west teams were just better this year. Could have traveled to the moon and it would not have made a difference.

Last edited:
Good luck to GW....hope PM gets another shot but GW is tough...they play good D like PM....PM should cake walk it the next two years
I know they are losing eight seniors this year, but they will be a hard team to beat the next four years. They should start four freshman and a senior next season. All four of them have the potential to be D1.

I knew you would ask that, Georgia Tech, Georgetown, and Kentucky, are said to be looking at one of them. I am thinking like Maryland type D1, the best of the best play at UConn, right?

Ok before you tell me to take a hike and rightfully so . I will say yes pm put us out and GW kicked our take all year. Ok now that I've admitted that I do have 2 questions.

1 do you think there are any current GW seniors that are D1 players ?

2. What was GW JV GIRLS record this year ?

Honaker on 12/10 played George Wythe @ Virginia High and lost 39-58. Honaker can't beat the maroons, GW will play PM or Surry for the title next Thurs. It looks like a PM vs GW rematch and PM can't beat them neither. George Wythe was a lot better than I thought they would be this year, those 8 senior girls are all good kids and have worked hard to be successful. They have earned it.
East teams definitely looked fatigued playing the west, I thought Eastside was going to pull it out also. Let me say this, these west teams were just better this year. Could have traveled to the moon and it would not have made a difference.
Surry almost spoiled the all West party, especially when according to some they were supposed to lose by at least 20!

1.The seniors are top notch kids that have worked hard and believe in their coach and each other. They have earned their spot. (I was a skeptic this year about the coaching staff. Some of the coaches are not really who you would expect. " First timers so to say" In retrospection the head coach really knew what he had and what he needed and I was wrong. .never was about the players) I am sure they will play for someone, somewhere and I am sure they will contribute to the team they play on. Hopes that answer your first question.
2.JV lost to Honaker, Lord B., Sullivan Co. and Northside first four games I think. (16-4 for the year.) Took a minute for the six 10th grade girls to come off the bench and work with the younger girls. They grew on one another throughout the season.

Last edited:
Surry almost spoiled the all West party, especially when according to some they were supposed to lose by at least 20!
I had Surry by 11, to be honest I was a little shocked they lost. I have seen them play prior and I really think they just didn't adjust well to the gym or travel...or something. Eastside was no better than Mathews, Surry got them by 44.

1.The seniors are top notch kids that have worked hard and believe in their coach and each other. They have earned their spot. (I was a skeptic this year about the coaching staff. Some of the coaches are not really who you would expect. " First timers so to say" In retrospection the head coach really knew what he had and what he needed and I was wrong. .never was about the players) I am sure they will play for someone, somewhere and I am sure they will contribute to the team they play on. Hopes that answer your first question.
2.JV lost to Lord B., Sullivan Co. and Northside first three games I think. (16-3 for the year.) Took a minute for the six 10th grade girls to come off the bench and work with the younger girls. They grew on one another throughout the season.

I agree about your seniors they are a great group of hard working talent.

I commented because your throwing around some bold statements. 4 kids coming up that are D1 players . ACC players ?
If they are D1 recruits they should be starting as sophomores and dominating the league.
But hey I was wrong already this year when I predicted that we would be you guys and go to state. So who knows

For the record your saying that next year GW will be better than this year ? I just want to know before I hibernate for the off season

ACC? They have the talent to be.You can't get better than a team that goes all the way, for the record I think they will be hard to beat. Things change, people change, you never know what the next season will bring, just don't think you can rest on us. For it was a good day, we have celebrated and now some rest, back to work Monday.

This rematch will be interesting. If GW plays with the same intensity they did against Honaker I would have a hard time picking against them. Congrats to the Lady Tigers on a good season! Good luck GW and PM. Glad to see the West representing in 1A this year!!

As far as Surry, after that Eastside game I would have thought PM would have easily beat them. Maybe I'm guilty of not giving Eastside enough credit and maybe Surry didnt play to their potential that game, I don't know.

One correction on George Wythe jv season. They lost to Honakers JV at the VA High tourney 44 to 20. Wasn't even close for those so called D1 players. By the way Honaker started 5 8th graders on a team that went 25 and 0.

One correction on George Wythe jv season. They lost to Honakers JV at the VA High tourney 44 to 20. Wasn't even close for those so called D1 players. By the way Honaker started 5 8th graders on a team that went 25 and 0.
That is great, they should be awesome next season.

You got 2 decent players coming up next year. Have seen them both play AAU. No big player even close to replacing power forward you are losing to graduation. Still will be no match for the BLUES.
Curious about your meaning of big player, and your thinking the BLUES will be winning the next two correct?

Surry will be back. They started the first 16 games of their season starting 3 freshman and 2 sophmores and were 15-1 beating a really good Atlantic Shores team. They were actually faster and played more aggressive without their big.

Surry will be back. They started the first 16 games of their season starting 3 freshman and 2 sophmores and were 15-1 beating a really good Atlantic Shores team. They were actually faster and played more aggressive without their big.
I agree they will be tough again next year.

I agree they will be tough again next year.

Can see GW starting a Senior, Sophomore and three freshmen then? Don't think we will be seeing you in Harrisonburg next year much less Richmond. We basically have everyone back and a terrific coach. Those girls or the coach from GW never knew what hit them with that defense of ours. Gilbert can mix it up.

Can see GW starting a Senior, Sophomore and three freshmen then? Don't think we will be seeing you in Harrisonburg next year much less Richmond. We basically have everyone back and a terrific coach. Those girls or the coach from GW never knew what hit them with that defense of ours. Gilbert can mix it up.
Terrible shooting is what cost them, and your right if they start a senior and a sophomore they won't make it out of the conference. Hopefully the coach will leave with the seniors.

They never changed the offense. GW couldn't throw it in the ocean. Should have penetrated. So what line up are YOU thinking GW will start next season? Definitely the feshman that came off the bench. Didn't see too much playing time of the upcoming senior. They are all thats left. The two upcoming freshman that play AAU ball down this way and what? We will have 9 juniors returning for the sate champs.

They never changed the offense. GW couldn't throw it in the ocean. Should have penetrated. So what line up are YOU thinking GW will start next season? Definitely the feshman that came off the bench. Didn't see too much playing time of the upcoming senior. They are all thats left. The two upcoming freshman that play AAU ball down this way and what? We will have 9 juniors returning for the sate champs.
All four upcoming freshman and the freshman from this years team should start, leaving seven bigs on the bench, 1sr,5jr,1so.

Wow. We have 9 sophomores returning from varsity and a good coach. Going to be along season for GW Can't see a school GW's size having 12 on varsity somebody is staying on JV.

Last edited:
Terrible shooting is what cost them, and your right if they start a senior and a sophomore they won't make it out of the conference. Hopefully the coach will leave with the seniors.
I thought Coach Campbell did a good job, George Wythe had a bad shooting night with the help of a strong D from PM. When you get to the state championship game you had to do something right but Parry McClure was better this day. Who is going to win the conference next year? Remember Fort moves up and Chilhowie is replaced by Auburn

I thought Coach Campbell did a good job, George Wythe had a bad shooting night with the help of a strong D from PM. When you get to the state championship game you had to do something right but Parry McClure was better this day. Who is going to win the conference next year? Remember Fort moves up and Chilhowie is replaced by Auburn

GW did not adjust. Kept shooting outside and never penetrated. Galax is a no brainer to win the conference. PM will win Region and also State.

. You win by the 3 and die by the 3. Galax to win the conference, they didn't even make it out of the first round of the conference Tourney. I would think Rural Retreat should be

. You win by the 3 and die by the 3. Galax to win the conference, they didn't even make it out of the first round of the conference Tourney. I would think Rural Retreat should be

Maybe you don't know the Conference. They had a sophomore forward and a freshman forward make all conference this year along with two honorable mentions. They have an excellent coach I would not count them out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT