ADVERTISEMENT

How many kids transferred to Bishop Sullivan Catholic

babY_d757

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jul 28, 2008
so far I know a couple kids from OLHS and Bayside ILB Mitchell have transferred there but who else has gone there ? I see they play pretty tough schedule with private school Our Lady of good counsel, MD coming to the Beach to play BSC.

Are they providing full tuition assistance for the athletes they recruit? What does it cost to send a kid there, (to the upper grades)?

I looked back and saw your post from months ago. I was thinking you, or someone had listed something like six kids that were known to be transferring, but I must have been confused.

The four kids (Alex Oates, Jake Low, CJ Scott, Tank Land) that were Freshman last year & were involved in Chris Scott's suspension at OL all followed him to BSC. BUT Khalan Laborn already left & is in North Carolina with his father. Eric Crosby decided not to transfer despite being heavily recruited by BSC (Their principal was quoted stating they don't recruit athletes). Terada Mitchell, Tylan McElhenie, Noah Knapp, Tahj Capehart. I am sure there are more.

Speculation is/was that all the top talent will transfer to BSC to form a National powerhouse team. Hasn't happened yet but it could. Mostly the Pop Warner Mustang Kids still following Scott like they did at Ocean Lakes.

BSC football left the TCIS to join the Virginia Catholic School League. Not sure why but speculation is that the new league won't prohibit reclassification like TCIS does.

Tuition is $13.5K with 18 scholarships given to students. Their website states 110 students received financial aid. Who knows how many are football players. If there's a lot of donor $$$ coming in, the sky could be the limit for them.

Man with that current roster I don't see that team winning against power house schools untill next year . They still don't have enough players go there keep up big boy schools heavily recruited they need more guys trenches help out but either way they should good season 7-3 at best. But who knows time will tell I could be wrong lol

BSC football left the TCIS to join the Virginia Catholic School League. Not sure why but speculation is that the new league won't prohibit reclassification like TCIS does.

Didn't the TCIS say that they'd be kicked out of the league completely if they reclassified football players?
http://pilotonline.com/sports/high-...cle_65f2fd27-b5ba-532a-8475-842df8b0bdbc.html

My understanding is that the Catholic League is just a scheduling arrangement and not an actual league for now. The Northern VA schools dropped out of the WCAC for football precisely because they weren't interested in playing "national powerhouse" type schools, so I doubt they're interested in playing Bishop Sullivan long-term if they become a "national" program.

The listed cost about $13,500. There is financial aid and "scholarships" available. Not sure how that is going to work out over the long haul. I wonder what happens when Player A goes to Bishop and is paying $$ and does not get the playing time that he and his parents, advisers, etc. think that he should get.

The listed cost about $13,500. There is financial aid and "scholarships" available. Not sure how that is going to work out over the long haul. I wonder what happens when Player A goes to Bishop and is paying $$ and does not get the playing time that he and his parents, advisers, etc. think that he should get.

Not as bad when little Johnny started in pre-kindergarten, with the parents paying the whole tuition. And Johnny doesn't get any playing time, or maybe even make the team, because of kids that came in on " full financial aid" to play football!

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
VA Beach , Norfolk & Chesapeake has enough talent that they will still contend for State Title Games. The only difference is that the Middle School Club teams (757Colts & VA Beach Mustangs) are funneling kids to BSC instead of Ocean Lakes. The tail wags the dog in the Southern 757.

VA Beach , Norfolk & Chesapeake has enough talent that they will still contend for State Title Games. The only difference is that the Middle School Club teams (757Colts & VA Beach Mustangs) are funneling kids to BSC instead of Ocean Lakes. The tail wags the dog in the Southern 757.
Question as someone not familiar with how lower/younger leagues work in 757. You refer to them as middle school club teams. Are they middle school teams that play other area middle schools? Are they truly club teams that travel and play in surrounding areas? How are they funded? Just trying to get a better feel of the pipeline landscape in the 757 now. Thanks.

Question as someone not familiar with how lower/younger leagues work in 757. You refer to them as middle school club teams. Are they middle school teams that play other area middle schools? Are they truly club teams that travel and play in surrounding areas? How are they funded? Just trying to get a better feel of the pipeline landscape in the 757 now. Thanks.

It depends on which part of 757 you are referring too. In Virginia Beach public school there are Middle School football teams for each middle school. The Virginia Beach Middle Schools only play other Virginia Beach Middle Schools. There are also POP WARNER, AYFL, Recreations Leagues, etc. These usually play within their own groups and leagues but have been known to venture outside on occasions. What some high school coaches and their staffs have done is get involved in some of these leagues and use them as a feeder programs into their respective high schools as mentioned above in 757Fridays post. That is just for the public school landscape. On the private school side of the house they have Junior Junior Varsity (JJV) programs that include grades 6-8 (sometimes 9th). Schools such as NSA, Norfolk Academy, BSCHS (all Catholic Middle Schoolers), Portsmouth Christian, Broadwater Academy, HRA, Norfolk Christian, etc. There are some I missed but they play each other or sometimes JV or other middle school teams from around the state. The real question for BSCHS is will they continue to have a JJV program or will one of these feeder programs that Chris has been a part of come in and take over???? Also what happens to Middle School Football players for all the parish schools such at St. Gregory's, St. John's, St. Matt's, Christ the King, St. Patrick's and Star of the Sea? These are the questions that the BSCHS administration will have to answer.

It depends on which part of 757 you are referring too. In Virginia Beach public school there are Middle School football teams for each middle school. The Virginia Beach Middle Schools only play other Virginia Beach Middle Schools. There are also POP WARNER, AYFL, Recreations Leagues, etc. These usually play within their own groups and leagues but have been known to venture outside on occasions. What some high school coaches and their staffs have done is get involved in some of these leagues and use them as a feeder programs into their respective high schools as mentioned above in 757Fridays post. That is just for the public school landscape. On the private school side of the house they have Junior Junior Varsity (JJV) programs that include grades 6-8 (sometimes 9th). Schools such as NSA, Norfolk Academy, BSCHS (all Catholic Middle Schoolers), Portsmouth Christian, Broadwater Academy, HRA, Norfolk Christian, etc. There are some I missed but they play each other or sometimes JV or other middle school teams from around the state. The real question for BSCHS is will they continue to have a JJV program or will one of these feeder programs that Chris has been a part of come in and take over???? Also what happens to Middle School Football players for all the parish schools such at St. Gregory's, St. John's, St. Matt's, Christ the King, St. Patrick's and Star of the Sea? These are the questions that the BSCHS administration will have to answer.

With all of the comments above the real questions are:

1. Will the TCIS allow BSCHS to recruit and have 5th Year Seniors and stay within the TCIS? Or will the TCIS allow them to bow out for football only?
2. Will the VISAA allow BSCHS to recruit these athletes and not enforce their own rules of recruiting?

If the TCIS kicks BSCHS out then all sports will no longer play for a conference championship (because the Virginia Catholic League is folding due to team leaving because of BSCHS recruiting). If the VISAA enforces their own rules then BSCHS should be sanctioned and not allow to play for a state championship. So all these athletes that are coming over may have no conference championship or state championship ring to hang their efforts on because last time I checked there was no High School National Champion.

Thanks for the info.

With all of the comments above the real questions are:

1. Will the TCIS allow BSCHS to recruit and have 5th Year Seniors and stay within the TCIS? Or will the TCIS allow them to bow out for football only?
2. Will the VISAA allow BSCHS to recruit these athletes and not enforce their own rules of recruiting?

If the TCIS kicks BSCHS out then all sports will no longer play for a conference championship (because the Virginia Catholic League is folding due to team leaving because of BSCHS recruiting). If the VISAA enforces their own rules then BSCHS should be sanctioned and not allow to play for a state championship. So all these athletes that are coming over may have no conference championship or state championship ring to hang their efforts on because last time I checked there was no High School National Champion.

1) refer to the above articles from the pilot- the TCIS was very clear that they will not allow Bishop to have players reclass if they plan on staying part of the TCIS.
2) As always recruiting is hard to prove. Would like to see if anyone has the transcript of Eric Crosby's interview on ESPN 94.1 High School Show. Shouldn't be hard considering it is sponsored by virginiapreps if I'm not mistaken.

As for the feeder leagues you left out the final level. The Thoroughbreds. I wonder how many guys playing for them have transferred this off season?

To be honest I'd prefer that BSC plays national level plays bigger schools couple private schools state. I love to see the 757 all star team play big private school in my home state of California , Bishop Norman Las Vegas , Florida best public and private schools , TX teams etc. Time will tell

I thought BSCHS Left TCIS to join the Viginia Catholic League for Football? bscatholicfootball BUT if that league has already folded, THEN, what are they going to do?

Regarding the Catholic league, this is what Joe Wootten told the Washington Post in January:

O’Connell Athletic Director Joe Wootten characterized the talks as “very preliminary,” rooted in the common thread of each Catholic school’s membership in the Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association.

“It was an exploratory committee of sorts to see if, as we move forward with our scheduling for next season, is it worth looking into a Catholic football league in Virginia?” Wootten said. “Is it a possibility? No doubt. But it definitely would not be happening next year. This is more so something to look at two or three years down the road as each school becomes a consistent part of everyone’s football schedule.”

Last edited:
What is the motivation for the coaches of the 757Colts & VA Beach Mustangs to funnel their kids into teams like I. River, BSCHS, etc over Smith, Cox, Bayside, etc?

1) refer to the above articles from the pilot- the TCIS was very clear that they will not allow Bishop to have players reclass if they plan on staying part of the TCIS.
2) As always recruiting is hard to prove. Would like to see if anyone has the transcript of Eric Crosby's interview on ESPN 94.1 High School Show. Shouldn't be hard considering it is sponsored by virginiapreps if I'm not mistaken.

As for the feeder leagues you left out the final level. The Thoroughbreds. I wonder how many guys playing for them have transferred this off season?

Link with the Crosby interview can be found in his commitment story here.

Reactions: gwb16
Nobody has really heard from the TCIS or they haven't made it public if just the football team or the entire schools sports program have been removed from competing in TCIS (conference) championships/ playoffs. I heard deals were being made but only few people know the truth.
They also have issues at the State Level as their are very few teams that are willing to play them because of the alleged recruiting. It is even difficult for them to join any less cal 7 on 7 programs but I am sue they will find one or just host their own.
It will all flush out by August on who has transferred, if they have 5th year seniors and if the recruiting allegations are substantiated. Another year of drama in VHSL and VISAA football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT