ADVERTISEMENT

Impact underclassmen & Transfers?

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
Seems like things have been pretty quiet with regards to the kids coming into programs as underclassmen & transfers which are expected to make major contributions for their teams in 2017.

Matt, you may not have all your surveys back from the various teams but if you can expand on this, I'd appreciate it.

Seems like things have been pretty quiet with regards to the kids coming into programs as underclassmen & transfers which are expected to make major contributions for their teams in 2017.

Matt, you may not have all your surveys back from the various teams but if you can expand on this, I'd appreciate it.
If you think it has been quiet then you haven't been paying attention. Bayside lost several high profile players to Bishop Sullivan and IMG. Several other schools had kids transfer to Bishop also. Kids have been putting up their "commitments" on twitter all spring.

Henrico lost a top player to BS just a week or so ago.

Last edited:

As far as top underclassmen, not to go into full throttle 'sell' or 'promote mode' but I think fans will want to check out our All-Underclass Teams we released in the spring. The 6A one is at the link below.

See 6A All-Underclass Football Teams Here

Of course, as mentioned earlier in this thread, a few of the players have transferred to different schools.

Many people felt Bayside would be a Championship caliber squad if they had kept the likes of Armani Chatman (VT commit now at Bishop Sullivan), RB Michael Martinez (Bishop Sullivan), LB Teradja Mitchell (Ohio State commit who is at Bishop after starting his career at Bayside) and DB Jayden Curry (IMG Academy).

Nonetheless, I think Jon White is a very solid football coach and the Marlins could surprise some people. First two games will be tricky with Cox and Landstown out of the gate.

Some of the top underclassmen to know though...

Josh Sarratt - DB/WR - Colonial Forge - Jr.
Cam Kelly - ATH - Oscar Smith - Jr.
Tayvion Robinson - ATH - Cox - Jr.
Chris Tyree - RB/DB - Thomas Dale - Soph.
Ryan Coll - DL - Battlefield - Jr.
Tre Maxwell - LB - Centreville - Jr.
Brendon Clark - QB - Manchester - Jr. (Wake Forest commit)

... Lot of content coming to the site soon, so be sure to check it out and recommend subscribing if you're not a member yet to get the insight on many of the teams and players around VA.

This is a somewhat and difficult question to answer, but Matt and others, please take a stab at it.

What is the quality of the educational experience these kids are getting at Bishop Sullivan? Their football program is similar to what can be expected in college, so are given tutors, and special assistance. Are they truly being educated, or are they just going through the motions academically?

Once again the BS recruiting machine is at it again. They have decimated the Beach schools and are targeting other local schools within the 757 and the state of Virginia. The pre-season roster shows a little more than 60 kids and 40 of them were new transfers from other public schools. The remaining kids were recruited last year and there is only 1 young man that came up through the Catholic Elementary school systems that is on the team. I hope the TCIS, VISAA and VHSL are watching..........

Nothing new in NOVA...lots of private schools going after football and basketball players.

Question for you about this. If "they" are watching, so what? I don't mean for that to sound rude, but the VHSL has no authority, involvement, or real interest. I don't know which league they are in, if any, but private schools can recruit. And have to by their very nature.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like public school kids getting pulled away either. I just hope when they do make the choice to go to a private, and specifically BS, that they are properly educated, and groomed to get an athletic scholarship.

Your other point is also one of my biggest gripes. Parents are loyal to a private school, paying a ton of money for Sally and Johnny to attend since they were knee high. And yet the school builds a program that all put guarantees that they will never get on the court or the field. Something is just wrong with this way of running a school.

But alas, it is a choice, not a gotta!

This is a somewhat and difficult question to answer, but Matt and others, please take a stab at it.

What is the quality of the educational experience these kids are getting at Bishop Sullivan? Their football program is similar to what can be expected in college, so are given tutors, and special assistance. Are they truly being educated, or are they just going through the motions academically?

That is a difficult question to answer. A lot of players - and their parents - have flocked to the program.

As far as the quality of the education they are getting - I'm not really sure. I personally find it hard to believe that each of the transfers (22 from 13 different schools by my count that I know... but I could certainly be leaving some out) are going for the sole reason of academics.

Could some or a certain percentage? Absolutely. But all? Highly doubt it.

People are always going to be upset about transfers, no matter what the circumstances are. That being said, if some of the athletes (and their parents) were honest about why they left and didn't use a less than truthful, it might be a bit easier for some folks to swallow.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Matt, I agree with your assessment of Bayside and their high quality players who have left for BS. If there was a team to challenge for the 6A South title, I'd put them near the very top before the moves.

Last edited:
That is a difficult question to answer. A lot of players - and their parents - have flocked to the program.

As far as the quality of the education they are getting - I'm not really sure. I personally find it hard to believe that each of the transfers (22 from 13 different schools by my count that I know... but I could certainly be leaving some out) are going for the sole reason of academics.

People are always going to be upset about transfers, no matter what the circumstances are. That being said, if some of the athletes (and their parents) were honest about why they left and didn't use a less than truthful, it might be a bit easier for some folks to swallow.

Sadly, it sounds like Bishop Sullivan High School has lost it's way and Catholic Identity. I can tell you that the purpose of a Catholic school is not to build a powerhouse football program. I question if these transfers are really learning about the "Fruits of the Holy Spirit", lives of the Saints, and Christian virtues. Are these young men enrolled in high level core academic classes that Catholic schools are known for?

Dinwiddie, to answer your question BSCS has created a remedial/ reduced educational curriculum to provide support for the kids that come over and can't handle the rigorous academic environment. This is where Chris Scott was placed when he came over to oversee the football and basketball players as part of the this program but I heard rumor that Chris is moving over the Theology department to be closer to the priest that is running the school now. I am not saying that some of kids that have transferred couldn't handle the current program, as a few have done a great job, but a lot of the kids that are being recruited for basketball and football end up in the this program. Also the majority of the teachers that I have spoken with are not happy with the direction the school is heading in and that is one of the reasons why the newly appointed principal left before he even started the job. It was an amazing coincidence that he left right after having a meeting with new priest that is heading up the school. From what I was told it was a huge issue on where the priest and the football program was heading including various other issues.

Question for you about this. If "they" are watching, so what? I don't mean for that to sound rude, but the VHSL has no authority, involvement, or real interest. I don't know which league they are in, if any, but private schools can recruit. And have to by their very nature.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like public school kids getting pulled away either. I just hope when they do make the choice to go to a private, and specifically BS, that they are properly educated, and groomed to get an athletic scholarship.

Your other point is also one of my biggest gripes. Parents are loyal to a private school, paying a ton of money for Sally and Johnny to attend since they were knee high. And yet the school builds a program that all put guarantees that they will never get on the court or the field. Something is just wrong with this way of running a school.

But alas, it is a choice, not a gotta!

BSCS plays within the VISAA (kinda like the VHSL) and within the local TCIS conference (which they are suspended from right now). Within the VISAA By-Laws there are very specific rules about recruiting that we know today that BSCS has violated. You can talk to coaches and parents within the 757 and they will tell you that there kids have been contacted by Chris or another member of his coaching staff to come over and they will provide them money (in terms of academic assistance through the school or outside financial assistance from various benefactors) to get into BSCS. But I always wondered how they get through the same entrance exam test that every other transfer kid has to take to get into the school? The reason why that concerns me is that it is common knowledge within the school that some football players graduated last year that shouldn't have.........As far as parents that want to send their kids to a prepatory college academic program and play sports as much as this pains me to say this I would have them attend another school such as Greenbrier Christian Academy, Nansemond-Suffolk Academy or Norfolk Academy.

Matt, in regards to BSCS can we just call it recruiting instead of transfers???? Also based on the recruiting that is going on at BSCS do you see the Beach District ever getting out of the regional playoffs again to get to a state title? Also I have to give a big hand to the Oscar Smith kids as they have been denying the recruiting efforts from BSCS for the past two years. All you have to do is watch the tweets the kids are posting to know what is going on.......and based on the tweets I didn't know you could commit yourself out of middle school or within high school to BSCS or at we call it Bishop Sullivan University? Must be a new trend.

Matt, in regards to BSCS can we just call it recruiting instead of transfers???? Also based on the recruiting that is going on at BSCS do you see the Beach District ever getting out of the regional playoffs again to get to a state title? Also I have to give a big hand to the Oscar Smith kids as they have been denying the recruiting efforts from BSCS for the past two years. All you have to do is watch the tweets the kids are posting to know what is going on.......and based on the tweets I didn't know you could commit yourself out of middle school or within high school to BSCS or at we call it Bishop Sullivan University? Must be a new trend.

Based on the raw numbers, it would be hard to dispute that claim.

Yes, I do see the Beach District getting out of the regional level and to a state title one day. That day just likely won't be any time soon, at least while things are as currently constructed. But none of us can say we have a good idea how the landscape will look in 2020, 2025, etc.

There are enough athletes coming through places like Bayside, Landstown and Ocean Lakes that very well one day one of those programs, or possibly someone else, could make a push to the Championship game. Of course, that is provided all the players zoned for those schools go there an don't transfer elsewhere. Oscar Smith is a team clearly standing in their way as well. A team such as Cox can make a good push to say the second or third round of the playoffs this year and they're well-coached under Bill Stachelski, won't make a lot of mistakes... however, athlete-for-athlete, they don't match up as well with someone like the Tigers if they were to meet to get to the State Semifinals.

If you look at the latest enrollment numbers, which can be found on the VHSL's web site, you'll see most of your larger enrollment schools in 6A are in the Northern VA area. That I think plays in their favor come State Playoff time as they have more depth often than some of the Tidewater area teams do.

I found the following material on another website, and I think it is certainly pertinent to this discussion. Credit goes to a man named Andy Hilton, from recruit757. I haven't seen it posted on Preps yet, but I could be wrong.

Want to know the most important part of this piece? The last 3 lines.

by Andy Hilton, recruit757

recruit757 will not take a formal stance on transferring. There are plenty of times where an athlete decides to transfer from one high school to another. Sometimes, the parents move. Sometimes, the parents drive the decision. In other cases, the student-athlete begs to move and it’s not always for good reason. I’m not here to offer a judgment on any teenager’s situation. That’s not what we’re about. I will throw this out there, and it originated from a professional contact of mine, Cory Bailey at Coastal Carolina. Cory is the recruiting coordinator and defensive line coach for the Chanticleers, a program that just moved into the Sun Belt and moved up to Division I FBS. Before his tenure at Coastal Carolina, Coach Bailey was the head coach at Assumption College. Cory tweeted on May 8 about transfer students and it has gotten a lot of attention.

Random Rant..Transferring to get recruited based on the school you're at = crazy. Dominate where you are… we will find you! Show loyalty.
— Cory Bailey (@CoachCoryBailey) May 8, 2017

In six weeks, it’s gotten about 2,000 likes and over 1,000 retweets. Maybe most of the likes have come from high school coaches who have lost transferring players. I know that I liked the tweet when I first saw it. Oddly enough, Coastal Carolina just received a verbal commitment about a week ago from a local player who’s transferring for the second time in his high school career. The commit is heading to Bishop Sullivan after playing for two years at Portsmouth Christian, and for a season at Greenbrier Christian prior to that. Coastal Carolina found him, recruited him, and got a commitment from him before he has played a down of football for his newest team. But again, this isn’t about a specific player. I can guarantee you this. If you’re talented, I will find you. If you’re talented, college coaches will find you. Part of my job is helping college coaches connect to you and to your high school coach. While some high school football programs are better than others and some high school coaches are more skilled at different aspects of football, there is practically always a place for a high school varsity starter to play college football.

There’s something to be said for making the commitment to stay in the same high school football program for your entire high school career. It demonstrates character and commitment. It shows a college coach that you can stick to your decisions. It also allows you to experience high school and high school sports with the friends that you grow up with. I will state this very clearly. As much as I love high school football, it is still an after-school, extra-curricular activity. Winning a state championship will not complete your life, nor will it make you a better person. If you think that winning a title in high school is going to make you a legend, think again. Most people can’t tell you who won a high school championship two years ago, let alone five, ten or twenty years ago. Playing college football is less like an extra-curricular activity and more like a job. High school is a time to enjoy playing football. By the time you reach college, you better be playing because you love it, or you may not play for much longer.

With all that being said, there are good reasons to transfer. Players may sometimes want to play for a different coach, or for a person they see as a more talented coach. They may want to play against better competition. In that case, you certainly want to make sure that there’s room for you in the new program you are headed to. There’s only one ball and there are only 11 spots on the field at a time. You better be good enough to beat out the other guys who are already in the program and competing for the playing time that you think you’re going to get.

As with any big decisions in life, there are pros and there are cons. Transferring works out for a lot of kids, but it’s not without risks. Take a good long look at the potential impact of your decision before you decide to make a move. Parents should be involved as more than a rubber stamp of approval. Look at all of the implications before you leap.

The grass is always greener where?

Not on the other side.

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Some rather harsh indictments in the comments above. But you know the old saying? If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck.

The truth is, I'm not a fan of schools like BS, but they have a right to exist. Just like parents have a right to put their kids in a school like this. If parents believe this is the best choice for their kid, so be it.

Just like Andy Hilton eluded to above, ethics and values come into play when considering a choice like BS. Is it more important to seek an allegedly better program than to stay put and give 100% to improve the program you are in? I know what my opinion is, but I respect anyone that doesn't share my ideas.

I was on the school board at a private school back in the late 1980's until around 1995. This was a small school, but we faced similar questions that I'm sure BS and others face. The question was, "what have we got to do to grow our school?" Even in our small school with less than 200 students, there was a strong contengient that wanted to recruit football and basketball players as a way of bring noterity to the school.
It had that affect, but in the negative.

The school was vilified by public schools in the area.

Parents that had their kids in the school for 10 years revolted when their little Johnny and little Sally sat the bench for a player than was just recruited.

Questions arose about the ever increasing tuition, when the school was giving "financial aid" to recruited students?

And as a side note, some wanted to recruit black athletes. At the time there were virtually no black kids enrolled in the school. That same contingent thought, "gee, we can show that we are not raciest, and get some good athletes at the same time!" The racist parents, of which there were many, raised hell. The poor black kids that accepted the offers were outcast in their black communities. That was not a pleasant time period.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Some rather harsh indictments in the comments above. But you know the old saying? If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it is a duck.

The truth is, I'm not a fan of schools like BS, but they have a right to exist. Just like parents have a right to put their kids in a school like this. If parents believe this is the best choice for their kid, so be it.

Just like Andy Hilton eluded to above, ethics and values come into play when considering a choice like BS. Is it more important to seek an allegedly better program than to stay put and give 100% to improve the program you are in? I know what my opinion is, but I respect anyone that doesn't share my ideas.

I was on the school board at a private school back in the late 1980's until around 1995. This was a small school, but we faced similar questions that I'm sure BS and others face. The question was, "what have we got to do to grow our school?" Even in our small school with less than 200 students, there was a strong contengient that wanted to recruit football and basketball players as a way of bring noterity to the school.
It had that affect, but in the negative.

The school was vilified by public schools in the area.

Parents that had their kids in the school for 10 years revolted when their little Johnny and little Sally sat the bench for a player than was just recruited.

Questions arose about the ever increasing tuition, when the school was giving "financial aid" to recruited students?

And as a side note, some wanted to recruit black athletes. At the time there were virtually no black kids enrolled in the school. That same contingent thought, "gee, we can show that we are not raciest, and get some good athletes at the same time!" The racist parents, of which there were many, raised hell. The poor black kids that accepted the offers were outcast in their black communities. That was not a pleasant time period.

This is an issue that will never go away. I see positives and negatives to both sides.

The biggest knock I have against it is how are schools supposed to become better programs if the best programs actively recruit that program or kids leave willingly because they don't want to play for a team that might not contend for a championship.

Recruiting won't go away because there are no governing bodies that have any enforcement authority. Additionally, There can be and maybe $$$ involved which invites corruption and exploitation of these families.

Bellevue HS Football scandal seemed to have involved all the above. Money could very well be involved in the BS situation too but our local media glosses over the local recruiting issues for some reason? I think they fear being denied access to coaches if they DARE conduct investigative reporting!

The real story won't come out, but one has to wonder how long before BS has enough of being Suspended by TCIS or their coach simply starts his own Academy after his son graduates from BS? My bet is on the later.

As for sanctioning coaches, I'd have to think until coaches' teaching credentials can be challenged or suspended over the recruiting issues, nothing will change. I think I did find a state which has revoked a teaching certification because of the embarrassment he caused their school district! (Alabama or Mississippi comes to my mind for some reason)

Based on the raw numbers, it would be hard to dispute that claim.

Yes, I do see the Beach District getting out of the regional level and to a state title one day. That day just likely won't be any time soon, at least while things are as currently constructed. But none of us can say we have a good idea how the landscape will look in 2020, 2025, etc.

There are enough athletes coming through places like Bayside, Landstown and Ocean Lakes that very well one day one of those programs, or possibly someone else, could make a push to the Championship game. Of course, that is provided all the players zoned for those schools go there an don't transfer elsewhere. Oscar Smith is a team clearly standing in their way as well. A team such as Cox can make a good push to say the second or third round of the playoffs this year and they're well-coached under Bill Stachelski, won't make a lot of mistakes... however, athlete-for-athlete, they don't match up as well with someone like the Tigers if they were to meet to get to the State Semifinals.

If you look at the latest enrollment numbers, which can be found on the VHSL's web site, you'll see most of your larger enrollment schools in 6A are in the Northern VA area. That I think plays in their favor come State Playoff time as they have more depth often than some of the Tidewater area teams do.

Matt, thanks for you honest assessment

This is an issue that will never go away. I see positives and negatives to both sides.

The biggest knock I have against it is how are schools supposed to become better programs if the best programs actively recruit that program or kids leave willingly because they don't want to play for a team that might not contend for a championship.

As it pertains to BS they can't compete or attain a conference or state independent schools championship because they have been suspended.

Recruiting won't go away because there are no governing bodies that have any enforcement authority. Additionally, There can be and maybe $$$ involved which invites corruption and exploitation of these families.

Bellevue HS Football scandal seemed to have involved all the above. Money could very well be involved in the BS situation too but our local media glosses over the local recruiting issues for some reason? I think they fear being denied access to coaches if they DARE conduct investigative reporting!

The real story won't come out, but one has to wonder how long before BS has enough of being Suspended by TCIS or their coach simply starts his own Academy after his son graduates from BS? My bet is on the later.

As for sanctioning coaches, I'd have to think until coaches' teaching credentials can be challenged or suspended over the recruiting issues, nothing will change. I think I did find a state which has revoked a teaching certification because of the embarrassment he caused their school district! (Alabama or Mississippi comes to my mind for some reason)

We have been asking for an investigation to done by the Richmond Diocese, VISAA and local press but nobody wants to touch this issue as they are afraid what may come out of it. The problem is you can't trail the money if it never ends up at the school and goes directly to the kids family to pay tuition. These guys know how to use the system to their advantage as they did it in public school and will continue to in the private arena. We will just have to see how this flushes out over the next couple of years.

One local reporter editorially pleaded that BS hadn't done anything wrong and that the 3 year TCIS suspension be lifted before their fall sports began.

So, here they are just weeks away from the start of the school year. It sounds as the recruiting IS not going away for their football program. They got a National Ranking but EVERY sport is adversely affect by their football program.

Are they getting large donations from having a powerful football program and if so, Is greed their problem? I think there's a devine book that helps teach people about that, not sure. My public education didn't allow scripture to be taught.

I kept saying that unfortunately this is the future and it is here now. HS football is becoming big money with ESPN, Bleecherreport etc games streamed and televised. What kid doesn't want to play on ESPN? Now BSCH is poaching kids out of Richmond. Don't worry one of the 804 schools will soon jump into this game. Too much money not too.

Monacan has lost several football players to local private schools in the richmond area who would be impact players. Now I won't say that it is the same situation as Bishop Sullivan. Monacan has lost players to Benedictine and St. Christopher's etc but honestly the players have flourished both athletically and academically. It is different than BSCH bc they are getting our players much earlier in the game. A lot before they ever even end up at the high school or very early in their HS career. Recently it is starting to happen later in their HS careers. It would be nice if they weren't getting pouched but those are very good schools and it is up to the parents and student athletes. I realize this also happens to other schools in Richmond as by definition private schools are filled with students who should be at "x" public schools.

So I am ok with what is going on in the Richmond area even though we lost IMPACT players. But what is going on with Bishop Sullivan is just the Wild West. It is pretty much indefensible.

Also, the 757 has always been doing this even before the private schools got involved. Schools coming out of nowhere as powerhouses. All of those Hampton teams from the 90's were essentially all-star teams. And no repercussions whatsoever. Only regarded as the most storied football program in the history of VA. Luckily the light was never shined on what was happening back then.

It has gotten to the point now "statewide" that if you are not fortunate enough to get some timely transfers you are not going to have a good chance to win a state championship especially at the 5A-6A level. You can't really win constantly with the neighborhood boys anymore. Let's all take off our blinders and realize it is not a level playing field a lot of times. I don't complain bc I think it is just the nature of the beast. Kids want to play at successful programs. Its just that simple. Not sure it can be corrected.

Damnit mbonape, does that mean we have to give back all of the players we recruited this summer?

I kept saying that unfortunately this is the future and it is here now. HS football is becoming big money with ESPN, Bleecherreport etc games streamed and televised. What kid doesn't want to play on ESPN? Now BSCH is poaching kids out of Richmond. Don't worry one of the 804 schools will soon jump into this game. Too much money not too.

Monacan has lost several football players to local private schools in the richmond area who would be impact players. Now I won't say that it is the same situation as Bishop Sullivan. Monacan has lost players to Benedictine and St. Christopher's etc but honestly the players have flourished both athletically and academically. It is different than BSCH bc they are getting our players much earlier in the game. A lot before they ever even end up at the high school or very early in their HS career. Recently it is starting to happen later in their HS careers. It would be nice if they weren't getting pouched but those are very good schools and it is up to the parents and student athletes. I realize this also happens to other schools in Richmond as by definition private schools are filled with students who should be at "x" public schools.

So I am ok with what is going on in the Richmond area even though we lost IMPACT players. But what is going on with Bishop Sullivan is just the Wild West. It is pretty much indefensible.

Also, the 757 has always been doing this even before the private schools got involved. Schools coming out of nowhere as powerhouses. All of those Hampton teams from the 90's were essentially all-star teams. And no repercussions whatsoever. Only regarded as the most storied football program in the history of VA. Luckily the light was never shined on what was happening back then.

It has gotten to the point now "statewide" that if you are not fortunate enough to get some timely transfers you are not going to have a good chance to win a state championship especially at the 5A-6A level. You can't really win constantly with the neighborhood boys anymore. Let's all take off our blinders and realize it is not a level playing field a lot of times. I don't complain bc I think it is just the nature of the beast. Kids want to play at successful programs. Its just that simple. Not sure it can be corrected.

Cannot be corrected and there is no going back...

The scary thing would be if BS and some of the other powerful private schools could somehow become members of the VHSL. I know there are a thousand reasons why that can't happen. But be reminded, there were 1000 reasons why LCA would never be a member of the VHSL.

One local reporter editorially pleaded that BS hadn't done anything wrong and that the 3 year TCIS suspension be lifted before their fall sports began.

So, here they are just weeks away from the start of the school year. It sounds as the recruiting IS not going away for their football program. They got a National Ranking but EVERY sport is adversely affect by their football program.

Are they getting large donations from having a powerful football program and if so, Is greed their problem? I think there's a devine book that helps teach people about that, not sure. My public education didn't allow scripture to be taught.

I read the article and I am sure some of the coaches around the area just laughed at the article. We haven't even started talking about how many kids have reclassified to repeat the same grade which I know is not allowed within the TCIS. I guess the story will fold out as the season progresses as they have a very tough first game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT