ADVERTISEMENT

In for the shooter!!

DMSpartan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 22, 2002
Had a game last night where the subsitutes for both teams that were going in for the free-throw shooter told me - either directly or indirectly - that they were going in for the shooter. Not a inadvertent horn all night! What a dream!

i have never liked subbing for shooter. wait until next dead ball after he shoots FTs. if I were on line shooting, I would not want to be thinking' "I'm going to bench"

I agree with you! For the reason you stated and also I like to see the game keep moving. If a routine basket is scored at most times during the game ball remains live and no sub is allowed. Let coach call time out if he wants to sub in at that point.

I especially hate when a coach has subs with a 1-and-1. I've seen a sub before first shot, between shots, and after made basket. Three stoppages for subs in that same 1 minute span.

One I saw the other week was a coach pull his top player before the first shot of a 1-and-1, rest him for the two FT's, and sub him back in for the shooter after FT shooter made both baskets. I'm pretty sure time has to run off the clock in order to sub back in but no one caught it until I brought it up. (There may have been a TO in there between FT shots or after both shots.)

some coaches sub too much on FTs. I wouldn't mind seeing a rule where you cannot sub on FTs except for the player who committed the foul, and this only because if he's in foul trouble he needs to sit

You're going to say I'm crazy but I've seen players "iron one" to stay in the game a little longer.

I've had that happen too, but usually the officials will step in at some point and stop the "traffic" to get the game back underway.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT