ADVERTISEMENT

Isle of Wight 35, Hampton Roads 0 (FINAL)

Not sure. It was a game won on the field, but the game was shortened because of one team's lack of players. Either way, I think IWA clinches the #1 seed.

looking over my numbers it does appear IWA may have locked up the #1 seed, Richmond and Roanoke also locked up a spot. My question is would Roanoke get "bonus" points for their loss to Auburn High School? If so that may change the seedings.

I'm so confused. This is the way the rule is written:

Bonus points are awarded to any team who loses to an opponent from a higher division (or an
opponent with enrollment that would set that opponent in a higher division), provided that higher-
division opponent gets at least seven (7) wins and plays at least eight (8) VISAA-recognized games. All
games considered must be played
before the start of VISAA playoffs.

Is Auburn considered a "higher division or an opponent with enrollment that would set that opponent in a higher division"? The reason I can't figure it out is because for points purposes, they only count as 6 points because Roanoke Catholic is Division IV. So do they fall into the category of getting bonus points for losing to that team or not? Also, would Auburn be considered as having at least 8 VISAA recognized games? If anyone knows, that would help a lot.

Also, the IWA-HRA game was one of the weirdest games I have ever seen. I have NEVER seen the officials throw so many flags in all my life. It is not much of an exaggeration to say that a flag was thrown on just about every other play. And after a flag was thrown, the officials would have to take a five minute conference to figure things out. I feel bad for anyone who gets this officiating crew later on in the year. Add to that HRA having to stop the game and you have a very interesting game.

They count as six because all public schools count as six for a D-IV team. If Roanoke Catholic beat Ocean Lakes or Phoebus, those schools would be worth six, but if RC lost, those schools would also definitely yield bonus points.

Most public school opponents yield bonus points to Division IV teams-- Auburn has to Roanoke Catholic several times because Auburn usually finishes with a good record.

Auburn is 6-3 so far, so if they win next week, they will be 7-3 and should yield one bonus point to RC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT