ADVERTISEMENT

James Madison’s D vs Oscar Smith’s O

Madison’s D is the real thing. They execute their assignments and end up with a lot of helmets in the ball. Solid up front and great linebacking core. However, Oscar Smith, of all teams in the state, can make great defenses look average. They are a threat to score as soon as they get to the line of scrimmage regardless of field position. I think Madison can keep it close for a while, but 48 minutes of Oscar Smith will get to them. In my opinion, Smith will separate by at least 2 to 3 TD’s. 35-10 Oscar Smith….for what it’s worth.

The last time a vaunted Madison team went down south to play a team from the old Eastern Region it didn't go that well. Ronald Curry and Hampton smashed them 76-14. Expect another blowout just not that bad

The last time a vaunted Madison team went down south to play a team from the old Eastern Region it didn't go that well. Ronald Curry and Hampton smashed them 76-14. Expect another blowout just not that bad
Ummm... That was 1996... in the semi-final... on their home field...
(The game is up on YouTube for those who are nostalgic...)

That was so long ago... (how long ago was it?) ... that the Warhawks helmets were based on the Philadelphia Eagles wings...

Pulled that film pretty quick. Home field must have made all the difference. Lol
...link was sent to me a few weeks ago by a college classmate from down Tidewater way... saying the same thing as your post... and the whole NoVa teams don't stand a chance (historically have never stood a chance; even 25 years ago) because Oscar Smith (or Hampton back in the day) is better than anyone else since they have played in so many state championships and thumped South County last year... they're bigger, faster, more athletic, better coached, better conditioned, stonger, better fans, more D1 recruits, better stadium, title game is in Norfolk, etc., etc., etc.,...

It is just sooo... tiresome...

Let the kids play.

P.S. 757FridayNiteZ I am NOT referring to you...

Last edited:
Yep good luck to them. TC Williams, West Potomac, Centerville, Chantilly did pretty good vs. the east back in the day so not that dominate

Reactions: SPL311U
The excitement for me about this game is that both teams are heavy with seasoned Seniors that are battle tested, ready for this game! Both are executing on a high level and have top notch Coaches.. THIS is the game that should have been played last Spring!!!

How about Smith's defense? Probably a bigger issue for Madison IMHO.... 13 games vs VHSL teams = 46 points (3.5 PPG). Deep Creek had a crazy, elusive QB that had a good half vs Smith but once they started shadowing him, that was shut down. Except for SJB, no team has run well vs them.

Yesterday, Smith played the Northern VA style of D yesterday during the 1st half.. They played off the WR's, challenging Battlefield to make long drives.. Obviously it worked because Smith had more possessions. With a comfortable lead in the 2nd half, the D Line got aggressive, had some success & began batting down their QB's low release throws! 5 interceptions, think most all in the 2nd half!!!

To me, Madison & Battlefield appear be mirror images of each other.. Madison executes better so, I expect a closer game.. But, if they can't run vs Smith, it's going to be a rough day for them..

Reactions: VolNation85
I heard the same thing in 2005, when Oakton traveled to Hampton and played Landstown and star wide receiver Percy Harvin. That Cougars squad featured 30 seniors. Oakton dominated from beginning to end. Harvin maybe had 30 all-purpose yards. The final was something like 27-7, and the 7 Landstown scored was a fluke, a pass deflection caught be their center who was tackled around Oakton's 5. What was funny was when I arrived at the stadium, and pulled my Oakton hoody out of the trunk, two guys who parked behind me was laughing and talking trash, like, "You made the trip all the way down here to watch Percy put the hammer on Oakton, blah, blah, blah... They were long gone after the game and by the time I got to my car. Point being -- anything can happen...

Reactions: SPL311U
I heard the same thing in 2005, when Oakton traveled to Hampton and played Landstown and star wide receiver Percy Harvin. That Cougars squad featured 30 seniors. Oakton dominated from beginning to end. Harvin maybe had 30 all-purpose yards. The final was something like 27-7, and the 7 Landstown scored was a fluke, a pass deflection caught be their center who was tackled around Oakton's 5. What was funny was when I arrived at the stadium, and pulled my Oakton hoody out of the trunk, two guys who parked behind me was laughing and talking trash, like, "You made the trip all the way down here to watch Percy put the hammer on Oakton, blah, blah, blah... They were long gone after the game and by the time I got to my car. Point being -- anything can happen...

Not saying that Madison has no chance. I have been to most of Smith's State Title games. After watching things not go their way multiple times, I know things can go the exact opposite from what I had hoped for.

This game will be a contrast in styles. OS will 100% out athlete Madison. OS will have way more team speed! Madison is ball control running with play action passing. Defensively Madison is relentless and brings pressures. They have suffocated offenses in the Northern Region all year. Madison will compete, but OS speed and athleticism will be tough to overcome.

Yep good luck to them. TC Williams, West Potomac, Centerville, Chantilly did pretty good vs. the east back in the day so not that dominate
Lets remember the Northern Region beat Oscar Smith as recently as 2015, 2016 and 2017 (Westfield) and 2019 (South County)...... Oscar Smith deserves credit for sustained excellence. This should be a great game between the two best teams in 6A.

Last edited:
I'd love to be a fly on the wall as these 2 teams conduct their film prep on each other! It has to be tempting for Madison to watch the SJB game & think, that's all we have to do!! But duplicating that team is not going to be easy.

Madison shouldn't count on Smith providing opportunities for them the same way as Northern VA football teams have enjoyed in the past. South County made that mistake last Spring. No one on the Smith team has played vs Westfield & they were all underclassmen vs South County in 2019. They're all Seniors now as 3 & 4 Star Recruits and playing highly disciplined, assignment football.

Reactions: Shamrock.Mike
FGR6BtzXwBAvZ18

Class 6 state football:
Kevon King 96 yard TD run. He now has 13 carries for 266 yards and 3 TDs. Oscar Smith 35, Madison 17, 3Q

Class 6 State Championship:
Even when things are bad for Oscar Smith, they make chicken salad. Field goal snap goes over head of holder (Elijah Thompson) who scoops up the ball from 30 yards out , finds his blockers and runs 50 yds. for a 14-yd TD. OS 42, Madison 17 - 4Q 6:23

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
I think Smith was stopped on their 1st Drive. But I don't think they punted until their was about 1 min left in the game..

17 points were the most put on Smith's Defense by any VHSL team this year. Their coach was right about moving the ball, but boy did they have problems finishing their drives.

Class 6 State Championship:
Even when things are bad for Oscar Smith, they make chicken salad. Field goal snap goes over head of holder (Elijah Thompson) who scoops up the ball from 30 yards out , finds his blockers and runs 50 yds. for a 14-yd TD. OS 42, Madison 17 - 4Q 6:23

He did the exact, same vs James River! THAT was a hard fought, dynamic run that left several players grasping for air right at the goal line!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT