ADVERTISEMENT

News Jason John Departs Colonial Forge for Colgan HS

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
1788117.jpg

Jason John
, who guided Colonial Forge to back-to-back 6A State Championships in 2014 and 2015, has decided to leave his post with the Eagles to become the Head Basketball Coach of the new Colgan High School opening in Prince William County.

John, 35, graduated from Bloomsburg University in Pennsylvania. He's been a teacher and coach in Stafford County dating back all the way to 2003.

His decision to leave a program that has established itself as one of the premier basketball programs in the state during his tenure was one that required extensive thought.

"The hardest part was talking to the kids today. It was very important throughout this process that they would hear it from me," John told VirginiaPreps.com.

"All the relationships I've built over time with players, coaches and staff will be missed. But on the other side is a new opportunity and a new adventure. I'm at the point in my career where I just need to put myself in the best possible situation. I'm definitely excited to open a new school and take on a new challenge."

In his five seasons at Colonial Forge, which had not reached the State Playoffs in basketball prior to his arrival, John compiled a record of 90-37 overall. Maybe most remarkable is the fact they began just 20-26 before winning 70 of their final 81 contests under his reign.

"Jason is a phenomenal coach who has turned us into a state powerhouse in basketball. His kids play the game of basketball the way it should be played, plus carry themselves the way young men should both on and off the court. I think anybody would want their son to play for Coach John," commented Colonial Forge Athletic Director Jeff Berry.

"I love coming to the gym to watch him teach practice because it's awesome. They do the little things very well and that has everything to do with what Jason has instilled in them as far as being very technically sound."

Before he came to Colonial Forge, John got to experience what it was like to be at a brand new school when he served as an assistant coach under Kevin Brown at Mountain View when that school opened in 2005.

"It was an absolute incredible experience. We took our lumps early on, went 0-23 our first year and I think 7-16 our second year, but we had a core of young kids that by the time they were juniors and seniors we won two district Championships and made it to the State Tournament in the old AAA format," John relayed.

Colgan will be a member of Group 6A in 2016-17, and according to John, is expected to play in Conference 4. Starting in 2017-18, conferences across the state will dissolve.

Patience and getting the right people on board are two main keys John outlined.

"The first piece to this puzzle is going to be assembling a staff. That's something we're going to start on immediately," John noted. "I'm looking for guys who have a strong work ethic, have a similar vision of the game that I do and are willing to put in the time along with building relationships with kids."

** Photo Courtesy of Bob Lanum (BobLimages.com) **

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT