ADVERTISEMENT

Larry Bowman Returns to the Sidelines

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
Larry Bowman didn't stay away for long.

A coaching veteran of over 30 years with 783 career victories, Bowman stepped down as the Head Girls Basketball Coach at First Colonial High School in Virginia Beach following the conclusion of the 2014-15 season.

But Bowman will be back on the sideline. After a brief one-year hiatus from coaching, he has accepted the position as the Head Girls Basketball Coach at Tallwood High School in Virginia Beach, he confirmed to VirginiaPreps.com on Thursday.

"When I left First Colonial, I thought I was retired. After four or five months, I started going to some summer league games, some future league and I guess I realized I really missed it," Bowman said.

"With the year off, it got me re-focused, the passion and energy back. The Tallwood job became available, made a few inquiries and here I am. Right now, I feel like I can coach another 10 years and missed practice probably more than anything."

Bowman, 68, began his coaching career in 1983 at Green Run. He coached at a pair of private schools, Bishop Sullivan and Norfolk Collegiate. Perhaps the highlight of his storied coaching career came in 1994, leading Salem to a Group AAA State Championship in Girls Basketball.

Besides coaching Girls Basketball, Bowman has coached Softball, guiding Green Run and Salem to a combined five State Championship game appearances.

Though Tallwood finished just 5-17 overall last season, Bowman has successfully orchestrated re-building efforts before. met with the team and told them they are a "sleeping giant ready to explode."

"My major goal is to try to turn it around," noted Bowman, who told the team he believes they are a sleeping giant ready to explode.

"I went to First Colonial when they were way down and we got lucky there. I'd like to try to do it again. It's going to be a real challenge that's for sure, but it'll be fun. I'm ecstatic about this opportunity and glad to be back.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT