ADVERTISEMENT

Let's rank ahead of the post season ( Girls 1A )

Nov 20, 2018
hello everyone I've been gone to PA for a little while so I thought upon my return we could rank our girls teams ahead of post season. I've done the best I could and tried to show some respect to our East counter parts but information is limited so please feel free to make your own predictions without taking mine to personal

1 PM how can you not place them here for now

2 Surry same as PM returning many and was the previous runner up

3 Honaker will be ready this year

4 Galax could win it all

5 PH Glade Spring deserves this spot based on their season so far

6 George Wythe is always solid

7 Riverheads According to my research has a good strength of schedule and is #1 in Region B

8 Grundy hard fighting group saw them once this year

9 Eastside very well coached and always a good team

10 West Point I honestly don't know much about them but I needed a number 10 so I thought I'd add a East bound team.

My prediction is Honaker over Surry in the State Championship game. Yes I know this is a long shot but it's what I'm going with. Haven't you all watched the NCAA tournament? Sometimes the best teams don't win. Honaker may not be the most talented but I just have a feeling it's upset time. How do you all see it working out? What changes would you make to the top 10?

hello everyone I've been gone to PA for a little while so I thought upon my return we could rank our girls teams ahead of post season. I've done the best I could and tried to show some respect to our East counter parts but information is limited so please feel free to make your own predictions without taking mine to personal

1 PM how can you not place them here for now

2 Surry same as PM returning many and was the previous runner up

3 Honaker will be ready this year

4 Galax could win it all

5 PH Glade Spring deserves this spot based on their season so far

6 George Wythe is always solid

7 Riverheads According to my research has a good strength of schedule and is #1 in Region B

8 Grundy hard fighting group saw them once this year

9 Eastside very well coached and always a good team

10 West Point I honestly don't know much about them but I needed a number 10 so I thought I'd add a East bound team.

My prediction is Honaker over Surry in the State Championship game. Yes I know this is a long shot but it's what I'm going with. Haven't you all watched the NCAA tournament? Sometimes the best teams don't win. Honaker may not be the most talented but I just have a feeling it's upset time. How do you all see it working out? What changes would you make to the top 10?

So your trying not to disrespect the East but you have 3 Region C teams I believe all in front of a number 1 seed region B team ?
I believe I'm correct in saying that PM, Galax and GW are all from the same region C. I assume PM is ranked 1 in that region while maybe Galax Is 2? Where GW is ranked I'm not sure are they a 3 seed there ? Are they worse than that ?
Riverheads is a number 1 send in the Region. I'm not suggesting placing them in front of PM but with the Gladiators strength of schedule and the number 1 ranking you could argue that there's no way 3 teams from 1 Region should be ranked in front of a number 1 seed.
I'm not suggesting that I'm informed enough to do a top 10 but I think simple logic places Riverheads in the top 4. I think Riverheads can represent the East. I also think Honaker is severely over ranked on this list.
I won't try 10 but I will go with 5

1 PM Defending Champ
2 Surry Region A best
3 Riverheads Region B 1 seed and best
4 PH Region D best
5 Galax

As I originally stated your entitled to your opinion and feel free to make your own list. Your top 5 may just be right on. Does anyone else other than Toetheline believe that upsets are on the agenda this year. Although we disagree about how good our teams are we also both have upsets in our prediction. You see Toetheline there seems to be common ground between us.

I know nothing about the girls side of things but just because a team is the top seed in their region doesn't automatically mean they are top 5 in the state. For example, on the boys side, Carver Academy is seeded first in Region B, but I'd take at least a dozen or so other teams ahead of them. The regions definitely aren't always equal. Not saying that's the case with the girls, but just giving an example

Reactions: champrankings
I have NO clue on this, but unless there is some underlying issue with you guys, no need for the hostility.

All that it is is bias, and not the bad kind. When you see teams in your area, you will have biases. I am guessing from the posts I have read, champrankings is a Honaker person and toetheline a Riverheads person. No reason to feel disrespected because someone else has seen a different set of games.

If the question is who has the best chance to be in Final 4, then it makes sense for the top team in each region to be in top 4, but I didn't think that was the question. If the 3 best teams are in 1 region, well that just means 2 aren't getting there. If that is your criteria, well I read that as Top 4 should be 1 team from each region, then next 4 1 from each region. I don't think that is how rankings should be. That's like saying UVA and Duke and UNC can't be ranked all in top 10 since they are all in ACC

I have NO clue on this, but unless there is some underlying issue with you guys, no need for the hostility.

All that it is is bias, and not the bad kind. When you see teams in your area, you will have biases. I am guessing from the posts I have read, champrankings is a Honaker person and toetheline a Riverheads person. No reason to feel disrespected because someone else has seen a different set of games.

If the question is who has the best chance to be in Final 4, then it makes sense for the top team in each region to be in top 4, but I didn't think that was the question. If the 3 best teams are in 1 region, well that just means 2 aren't getting there. If that is your criteria, well I read that as Top 4 should be 1 team from each region, then next 4 1 from each region. I don't think that is how rankings should be. That's like saying UVA and Duke and UNC can't be ranked all in top 10 since they are all in ACC

There's not really any hostility I'm just well informed about SWVA and very uniformed about the East. Toetheline just keeps me on my toes ( get it )
anout leaving the East out. We've been back and forth a while .

I still stand by my rankings while I understand that the last 4 will include 2 from the East and 2 from the West I also still believe the better teams come from the West. Besides it's just for fun guys I was just getting a thread started that could generate some interest. Ranking teams always bring up good conversation. I look forward debating with Toetheline and I hope Riverheads could somehow play Honaker for the State Title. I think we both would love that.

I’ll stick to just the west ranking: 2,3&4 are so close its hard to put a number on them.

1. PM no question

2. Galax

3. Honaker

4. PH

5. GW Has to beat PM to get out of Regions

Lady Gladiators lost a tough one in OT last night but I still won't change my list. They had a 7 or 8 game win streak going in one of the strongest districts out there. I echo what Champ said I'm not really hostile I'm just trying to prove my point. I also get tired of hearing all about the West when I believe the #1 seeds of Region A & B are as good as anyone.

Lady Gladiators lost a tough one in OT last night but I still won't change my list. They had a 7 or 8 game win streak going in one of the strongest districts out there. I echo what Champ said I'm not really hostile I'm just trying to prove my point. I also get tired of hearing all about the West when I believe the #1 seeds of Region A & B are as good as anyone.
I read somewhere that East Rock and Page will play Thursday to see who gets the number 1 seed for the district tournament. PM beat East Rock 64-35 less than 2 weeks ago so I think it is safe to say that PM might be a little stronger than Riverheads. RHS lost twice to Page and East Rock.

I read somewhere that East Rock and Page will play Thursday to see who gets the number 1 seed for the district tournament. PM beat East Rock 64-35 less than 2 weeks ago so I think it is safe to say that PM might be a little stronger than Riverheads. RHS lost twice to Page and East Rock.

I understand that PM is the favorite I'm just stating that Riverheads district play keeps them in the conversation. I'm not sure PM would come out of Riverheads district undefeated. In Basketball teams have bad games. I'd find it hard to believe PM would beat Eastrock that badly every time they played. Maybe Eastrock had a bad game I didn't see it. I haven't actually watched PM girls play a game. I only watched the boys once this year.

I believe PM would handle your district just fine. Their only losses this season are against some very good schools. They lost to Spotswood by 6 and lost a very close game to Lord Boutetourt. East rock lost by over 30 to Spotswood. PM is a 2 time State Champion team that can play with the best schools in 1A 2A 3A. They have an almost all Senior team. They aren’t getting worse every year. CMON MAN

I believe PM would handle your district just fine. Their only losses this season are against some very good schools. They lost to Spotswood by 6 and lost a very close game to Lord Boutetourt. East rock lost by over 30 to Spotswood. PM is a 2 time State Champion team that can play with the best schools in 1A 2A 3A. They have an almost all Senior team. They aren’t getting worse every year. CMON MAN

https://virginiapreps.forums.rivals...spotswood-52-1a-parry-mccluer-34-final.60830/

They played again at the Rock the Ribbon in Lexington and they lost by 6. And it was close the whole time.

That's great for them - sounds like they played much better the 2nd time around.

They schedule good quality teams like Spotswood and Lord Botetourt - will only make them much tougher come post-season.

I still look for a PM/Surry rematch in the finals.

It sounds like they were on a good roll who did they lose to ? Honaker had a nice win over Grundy the other night. The Tigers are playing their best ball of the season right now. I will stick with my original top 10 for now. I'm also sticking with my upset pick that places the Tigers in the State Game.

To say that the Blues would not be undefeated in the Shenandoah, you do not know how good they are. 1A teams like them do not come around very often. Very special group. Could they lose? Absolutely. But not very likely.

Reactions: Blue.Blue.Blue
To say that the Blues would not be undefeated in the Shenandoah, you do not know how good they are. 1A teams like them do not come around very often. Very special group. Could they lose? Absolutely. But not very likely.

Unlike Toetheline I have watched PM several times. I haven't watched Riverheads or anyone in their district play but I'll say that PM would win the M7 here in SWVA. It's mainly a 2A district and in my opinion the best and toughest district in the state.
That doesn't mean PM can't be upset and that's what I'm hoping for if Honaker gets a shot at them.
But I will agree PM is a very rare 1A team that rarely comes along. Personally I've never watched a single A team any better than this group has been.
But upsets happen just look what happened to number 1 seed UVA last year. Anything is possible

I still don't see PM winning all the games in this district. Or I guess I should say on the Lady Gladiators schedule. I know they are defending state champions but other than Eastrock who do we have to compare to ? How do you think the Lady Blues would do against teams like Gap, Wilson, and Draft on a nightly basis? Have they played teams like that in the past few years ? I haven't been following Riverheads varsity Basketball much until this season. I'm aware that PM put the Gladiators out of the playoffs a few years ago but I assume that was different players than we are watching now and I was told by a guy I work with who had a daughter on that Riverheads team that the Gladiators didn't shoot well that weekend. Sometimes that happens so my question is how to you feel PM would do against teams such as Gap, fort, Wilson or Draft on a nightly basis. Have they played any of these teams lately ?

I like the thought of Riverheads pulling it off in the east, but please don't get everyones hopes up for knocking off PM. They have all but 1 or 2 of the same players that knocked us off down at VA high. They have 9 or 10 seniors on the team this year that all contribute. I remember these girls playing in tournaments up here and in Draft for many years. They would destroy the district up here on a nightly basis. The only losses they have this year are to Spotswood (by 6 points recently) and William Fleming who is a powerhouse 4 or 5a team. They killed East Rock (only game I saw them play this year) and it was not a fluke as others have eluded. This team may not win it all again this year but it will be an absolute lucky game if anyone beats them from this point forward. I would love to see a Riverheads and Parry Mcluer matchup in the state game. (maybe it would be our lucky day)

Pm lost to Spotswood pretty handily and then come back and almost beat them the second time any given night

You are right anything can happen that's why you play the game. But East Rock is not even close to Spotswood, PM beat East Rock by almost 30 and should have won bigger. My only point is PM is in a league of their own and it will take an off night for us or anyone in 1A to beat them.

I understand that PM is the favorite I'm just stating that Riverheads district play keeps them in the conversation. I'm not sure PM would come out of Riverheads district undefeated. In Basketball teams have bad games. I'd find it hard to believe PM would beat Eastrock that badly every time they played. Maybe Eastrock had a bad game I didn't see it. I haven't actually watched PM girls play a game. I only watched the boys once this year.
No disrespect to you tie the line, I saw that game and if they play 10 times it would be the same outcome. PM would be undefeated in Region B as well. They are like Surry, they pressure you from the time the bus stops and don’t let up. It’s frustrating to teams that PM & Surry play. You feel like you are in it and in four or five possessions you down 12 to 15. PM and Surry can have a bad game on any given night. BUT! You better bring your A game if you want to beat these two. Haven’t seen any West teams, and again, no disrespect to Eastside, but last year it was same thing, EHS can handle PM, it wasn’t close, Honaker has a GREAT record, but they MUST play their best to have a chance. Can RHS beat PM, again, ANYTHING is possible

No disrespect to you tie the line, I saw that game and if they play 10 times it would be the same outcome. PM would be undefeated in Region B as well. They are like Surry, they pressure you from the time the bus stops and don’t let up. It’s frustrating to teams that PM & Surry play. You feel like you are in it and in four or five possessions you down 12 to 15. PM and Surry can have a bad game on any given night. BUT! You better bring your A game if you want to beat these two. Haven’t seen any West teams, and again, no disrespect to Eastside, but last year it was same thing, EHS can handle PM, it wasn’t close, Honaker has a GREAT record, but they MUST play their best to have a chance. Can RHS beat PM, again, ANYTHING is possible

I guess PM can't be beat. There's nothing else that needs to be said. Come on man
I've saw many different PM teams play over the years and they've never had a team as good as your describing. I guess these are descendents of the Dream team. Come on man
I wished they were on Riverheads schedule this year. Gladiators may lose but I bet it would be close.

I guess PM can't be beat. There's nothing else that needs to be said. Come on man
I've saw many different PM teams play over the years and they've never had a team as good as your describing. I guess these are descendents of the Dream team. Come on man
I wished they were on Riverheads schedule this year. Gladiators may lose but I bet it would be close.
Riverheads very well may have a decent team. However they they might beat PM 1 out of 200 times. I disagree with your theory that it would be close. Unless your idea of close is staying within 30.

Ill defend The Gladiators to the end of the earth but--- This PM group has a final four as freshman and 2 straight State Titles to back it up. If you haven't seen this set of girls, I would go watch them before making yourself look like you don't understand basketball....

What he said

Reactions: toetheline
1 out of 200 times ?

I agree this is totally crazy sounding. 1 out of 200 times wow. Let's clear this up there's absolutely no chance at all Riverheads would compete with PM this year. There is a zero chance PM would lose.
This is not college basketball where upsets like that happen. Its Highschool and this current PM team is a rare team that comes along very very rarely. it sounds like Riverheads is getting better and on its way . Who knows maybe they will go to final 4 or even more but they will not beat PM.
PM could definitely lose to someone in the playoffs there's a couple teams that could beat them if PM plays awful but Riverheads is not one of them. PM would win by a minimum of 40 and if they chose to press the entire game it would be worse than that

As far as the schedule Riverheads plays PM beat draft last year by 40 Points in a Christmas tourney. PM beat Wilson in fall league by 40 and Fort by 40 as well. I'm sorry if this sounds arrogant but it's just the truth.
Riverheads had a much better team 2 years ago then they do now and PM beat them in the State playoffs by 40. Again good luck to Riverheads you certainly may be on your way to taking over the single A division. Its just not gonna be this year.

Before you take this to personal think about it like this. Your a Riverheads guy pick out a football team that your Riverhead State champ football team beat by 50 points. Is there any possible way that team would beat your football team if they played a thousand times ? The answer is No.

No hard feelings guys believe me I'd love to see Riverheads come out of the East. Good Luck

Reactions: Mike777VSP
PM
Surry
Galax/GW
Honaker
PH
I would have either Galax or GW 3rd just because the teams split there season series against each other. Not to mention GW has a guard don’t knw her name I think she’s wears #10 or something but she’s probably one of the better guards I’ve seen play in SWVA in a LOOOOONG Time. She makes that team go. The reason I would have Honaker and PH below them is because we really don’t knw how tough those to teams are. There schedule was not really that tough this year.

That's awful high praise, SWVA has produced quite a bit of girls talent.

I agree as well SWVA as produced a lot of studs. I’ve seen this kid play on several different occasions. So let me clarify...just to be a Sophomore the kid is really good and the potential and athleticism is there....It will be exciting to see how she develops over the years and into her senior year.

PM will win their 3rd in a row. We should be talking about next year, when other teams will actually have a chance to win it. PM will beat the brakes off every team in 1a. PH, Honaker, RH, W&L will all lose by an average of 30pts+ if they face PM. Galax, Wythe, and Surry might keep it with in 20pts. Wythe will play PM middle of next week and Galax should get two shots at PM. Surry in title game again and next year Wythe vs Surry 2020 state title game!

Yeah I must agree with you here. GW right now are 18-5 and athletic as heck and is a Sophomore lead team. There schedule was brutal. So yes going into next year with everyone on there roster coming back the next 2 years I must say they should be the favorite coming out of this side to get to Richmond for 2 years straight.

Reactions: pcnations
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT