VaPreps Hall of Famer
Nov 9, 2001
Spotswood beats Parry McCluer 52-34 to improve to 4-0

The game was never close

Last edited:
Parry McCluer 4 7 6 17 34
Spotswood 12 13 15 12 52

Spotswood 52, Parry McCluer 34

PENN LAIRD -- Stephanie Ouderkirk led all scorers with 14 points as the Trailblazers built a halftime lead and cruised to victory over the Fighting Blues.

Bug Gray added 11 points and Abby Branner chipped in 10.

Tristen Clark led Parry McCluer with seven points.

PARRY MCCLUER (1-1)

Patterson 2, Mohler 4, Huffman 5, Coleman 6, Smith 4, Dunlap 1, Clark 7, Baker 5.

SPOTSWOOD (4-0)

Bennington 2, Freeze 9, Gray 11, Branner 10, Ruth-Shifflett 4, Hansborough 2, Ouderkirk 14

Parry McCluer;4;7;6;17;--;34

Spotswood;12;13;15;12;--;52

3-point goals -- Parry McCluer 3 (Baker, Clark, Huffman), Spotswood 3 (Branner 2, Freeze).

JV -- Spotswood won.

Where does Spotswood stack up in 3A

I know they scrimmaged both William Monroe and William Fleming - both very good teams - but don't know the results.

Otherwise they have rolled in their first 4 games - and they're traditionally a very good team.

And for what it's worth - Maxpreps has them ranked #3 in 3A girls - behind Hopewell and Christiansburg (who lost to Pulaski last night)

I'm very surprised by this score I reguard PM as one of the top programs across all divisions.
I'm told spotswood will be a legitimate 3A final 4 program and they have been for sometime. Still with this kind of win over PM it's a little shocking.
The Box score shows some of PMs better players held in check. I'm wondering if foul trouble or injury attributed to this?
PM has another tough game on my rankings list coming up. It will be interesting to see what's going on with the group.

I'm very surprised by this score I reguard PM as one of the top programs across all divisions.
I'm told spotswood will be a legitimate 3A final 4 program and they have been for sometime. Still with this kind of win over PM it's a little shocking.
The Box score shows some of PMs better players held in check. I'm wondering if foul trouble or injury attributed to this?
PM has another tough game on my rankings list coming up. It will be interesting to see what's going on with the group.

I agree the Lady Blues are a top notch program - but once you get into the higher classifications - especially 5A and 6A, I really think they would not match up with some of the better teams.

But for 1A program, they should be considered the heavy favorite to repeat this year - but I'm sure will have some competition along the way.

I'm not sure what happened with the PM Spotswood game but I do not agree with the statement that 1A can't compete.
I watched several games last year one of them being PM vs LB ( the eventual 3A state champ ) PM lost by 3 but could have very easily won that game.

I've only seen Surry 1 time in all my years of watching but it looks like they can handle themselves.

Watching several games last year in all the divisions and multiple matchups I'd say there's very little difference in some of the top tier programs
I will say that most years thats probably not the case but the current top 1A team PM is not at all a normal 1A team. Surry may fit that assessment as well.

Results are all that really matter though and PM was beaten bad the other night. I have to assume foul trouble on a couple big time players or maybe even injury but maybe it was just a bad loss. There are multiple match ups this year that will help debate this point.

I'm not sure what happened with the PM Spotswood game but I do not agree with the statement that 1A can't compete.
I watched several games last year one of them being PM vs LB ( the eventual 3A state champ ) PM lost by 3 but could have very easily won that game.

I've only seen Surry 1 time in all my years of watching but it looks like they can handle themselves.

Watching several games last year in all the divisions and multiple matchups I'd say there's very little difference in some of the top tier programs
I will say that most years thats probably not the case but the current top 1A team PM is not at all a normal 1A team. Surry may fit that assessment as well.

Results are all that really matter though and PM was beaten bad the other night. I have to assume foul trouble on a couple big time players or maybe even injury but maybe it was just a bad loss. There are multiple match ups this year that will help debate this point.

You need to watch the Princess Anne girls basketball team if you think a 1A team can compete with them.

They are a 5A traditional power and to be honest, would be an unfair matchup for them against a lower (1A) classification.

It's hard to try and rank different classifications in the same poll - especially when there's small chance of them playing each other, although there are a few matchups here and there.

What PM is in 1A which is a rare 1A team
Princess Anne is in 5A a rare group.
I don't think 1A or 2A teams would compete with many top Tier 5A or 6A teams. There aren't suppose to but I do think divisions 1A -4A are closer than many think

I will be honest there aren't a lot of 5A or 6A teams in southwest Va and that's where I've spent most of my years. Those are also the places I see most games now. 5A William Fleming is a very good group about 45 minutes north of me and I'm very familiar with Carrol County 4A.
Carrol County is a final four 4A team year many years and I've watched many 1A 2A 3A teams beat them.

But your correct it's extremely hard to rank all the divisions and I wouldn't dare touch the East and west. Since there's only a few 5A and 4A good teams in the west it mskes it a little easier on me.
It's good fun and at least brings up debate which is why we are here

Last edited:
Reactions: pizzzzza
Do the two teams have a rematch if they do this will help tell I think PM very good team this why I’m a little shocked at box score

How any PM girls could conceivably play ODAC next year? Spotswood and east rock typically puts 3-4 seniors per year in the odac.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT