ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Nugget Local product Deloatch Signs With NSU

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
5a3cf896070a6-DSC06364.JPG

Norfolk State University baseball program has had three straight winning seasons and their recruitment of local talent is one of the reasons for their success. The 2018 class includes a player in their own backyard. Granby senior James Deloatch signed a letter of Intent in November to become a Spartan.

"When I talked to the coaches, I asked a lot of questions and they expressed that I was one of their top prospects and I was the #1 player on their board," Deloatch said. "They made it known that they wanted me there and didn’t make it seem like I was just a normal player. It felt like home to me."
With the high expectations from a local product, the Spartans are hoping Deloatch will make contributions on the diamond as early as possible.

"They expect me to come in and be a key player right away but it will all depend on my development and how hard I work when I get there," Deloatch said. "The coaching staff said they want me to pitch and play in the outfield. I'm just ready to help out anyway I can."

In his junior season, Deloatch was selected 1st team All-Monitor Merrimac Conference while also adding 2nd team All-Region honors after helping Granby to a 13-7 record and a tie for the Conference regular season title. The Comets lost to Oscar Smith in the Conference playoffs. He hopes to help the team advance much further in the playoffs during his senior season.
"My goal is to win a lot of games and go out with a bang. We have 10 seniors and this is our last ride together so we want to reach the State championship. Personally, I want to be more of a leader and repeat what I did last year and make All-Conference and All-Region."

Granby Coach Robbie Butler has been instrumental in shaping Deloatch to become a better baseball player as well as helped him grow into a leader both on and off the field.

"When I came there my sophomore year he helped me to look at baseball in a totally different mindset. I learned be more business-like. I was talented enough to play the game and I just needed to go out and play to the best of my ability."

5a3cf91e491a3-DSC07352.JPG

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News