ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead to next year

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Who are some of the teams that will be in the hunt for a state championship next year? A few off the top of my head are Auburn and Grundy who return all 5 starters, Riverheads who returns most of their key players lead by Painter, Eastside who returns Powers and has already proven they can lose players and adjust, Surry who will lose 4 starters but have a really good freshman class this year, Colonial Beach who returns some key pieces from this years team. Who else do you have? I'm doing this off the top of my head, so I'm sure I'm missing some others.

Norton, a state semi-final contender, loses quite a bit. Eastside has proven they can always reload, but Grundy may be best of Region D next year.

Norton, a state semi-final contender, loses quite a bit. Eastside has proven they can always reload, but Grundy may be best of Region D next year.
I agree that Grundy will be one of the best next year. Their two best players are only sophomores, so they'll be in the hunt for at least a couple more years

Riverheads could be tough too if they can convince Beason Fulton to come back and play next season.
Yeah without him, they'll still be in the mix, but with him they are a legit state championship contender and possibly preseason number one next season. Even without him, they should be in the preseason top five.

I am glad I am not the only one who would like to see Fulton return and go out with a bang his senior year. I hope someone is making an actual pitch to see it happen instead of us just talking about it on here.

He didn't play this year to concentrate on baseball since he's a Division 1 recruit. I remember seeing longtime post that awhile back.
I don't think he's transferring anywhere though. He was all state in basketball as a sophomore, I believe.

You are correct kwhs. It is of course his business and I suppose if too many people tried to talk to him about it, it could be counter-productive. His take is that he wants to concentrate year round on baseball and apparently there are enough opportunities out there for him to do it.

My take, and keep in mind I am just a spectator who never played ANY sports, is that if you are a gifted athlete who can play almost any sport (and by the way he had an incredible eighth-grade year on the football field but never came back) then you should enjoy your talents and make the most of them, and let the skills that you develop in each one of those sports help you become a better overall athlete. But I guess he doesn't see it that way.

The thing that amazes me the most about him is that if you were to watch him in action on the basketball court, and keep in mind that is where you get the closest look at anyone's raw talent, you would think that basketball was his main passion. I say that because he was an intense competitor and was fundamentally one of the soundest players I have ever seen. You know one of those that does a lot of things that don't show up in the stats.

You are correct kwhs. It is of course his business and I suppose if too many people tried to talk to him about it, it could be counter-productive. His take is that he wants to concentrate year round on baseball and apparently there are enough opportunities out there for him to do it.

My take, and keep in mind I am just a spectator who never played ANY sports, is that if you are a gifted athlete who can play almost any sport (and by the way he had an incredible eighth-grade year on the football field but never came back) then you should enjoy your talents and make the most of them, and let the skills that you develop in each one of those sports help you become a better overall athlete. But I guess he doesn't see it that way.

The thing that amazes me the most about him is that if you were to watch him in action on the basketball court, and keep in mind that is where you get the closest look at anyone's raw talent, you would think that basketball was his main passion. I say that because he was an intense competitor and was fundamentally one of the soundest players I have ever seen. You know one of those that does a lot of things that don't show up in the stats.
A lot of kids today have become interested in playing and concentrating on one sport. However, if you talk to college coaches, they prefer multi sport athletes to ones who concentrate on just one sport. Matter of fact, it is usually one of the first questions that they ask.

I can see both sides to that. Someone told me recently that Frank Beamer had a habit of going to see his potential recruits playing another sport other than football and that he would sometimes base his decision on that athlete by factoring in what he saw watching them compete in their "other sport."

Reactions: kwhs95fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT