ADVERTISEMENT

Magna Vista 35 Gretna 34

hawknation92

VaPreps Varsity
Dec 16, 2005
This was real good game. Gretna took 34-28 lead with 6 minutes to go in game but couldn't hold Magna Vista and the extra points was the difference. Good showing for Hawks who I thought would lose this game playing an undefeated division 3 top team. Gretna was without its starting QB and two LB that are teams top two leaders in tackles from start of game. With all that Gretna should have won this game but made way to many mistakes.Some delay of games because have so many players out confused on who supposed to be on the field. Had call I've never seen before. Gretna scored first then stopped MV on third to force punt on MV first possession. A defensive lineman for Gretna helmet came off and they through 15 yard penalty on Gretna which gave MV its first score. After getting clarification from coach the ref said because he didn't stop play when his helmet came off that's a penalty. Never heard of that especially since the OL is the one that ripped his helmet off. Then I seen worse sportsmanship ever. Magna Vista whole team came to track on Gretna side flipping our fans the middle finger and screaming cuss words. The most surprising part was coaches that were with them doing it. Never seen a team act that bad after a game.

Great showing by Gretna. On that penalty, inthink they call it illegal participation and I seen that one early this year at Woodstock when we had linemen get helmets ripped off but basically be told to stop moving mid play, lol. Kind of silly

Reactions: 1976Hawk
Yes....spot on hawknation92.
And the Hawks nearly pulled it off with backup lineman in most of the second half. The two games we lost we had the ball both times with a little over a minute to go in the game and tried going deep early instead of just moving the chains. This team is loaded with offensive weapons. Oh and I failed to mention with a sophomore backup QB starting. More food for thought....both of these teams which the Hawks were very close to beating are both still undefeated (Jefferson Forest which I think are 4A and Magna Vista 3A)

Next week is going to be a tough matchup...rival week and a good Altavista team.

GO HAWKS !

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
As a Magna Vista fan, this was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. There were many unsportsmanlike penalties that should have been called both ways. And the main penalty should have been for the Gretna coach being allowed to stay on the field the entire game having private talks with the white hat ref. I really thought I was at a parks and recreation flag game where coaches are allowed on the field. Both teams were hyped up and the refs didn’t take control of the game at all, so that’s why the unsportsmanlike behavior was allowed from both teams the entire game. Refs got to do better and the Gretna coach got to know he can’t coach from the field. MV was without their all state lineman and their starting RB only played a couple of downs before getting injured. So with the missing Gretna players this game was an even game other than the poor officiating and poor leadership from the Gretna coach. If staying on the field was a strategy for the Gretna coach good job but it wasn’t enough because MV still got the W. Good luck to Gretna in the remaining games of their season. Let’s go Warrriors!!!!

As a Magna Vista fan, this was the worst officiated game I have ever seen. There were many unsportsmanlike penalties that should have been called both ways. And the main penalty should have been for the Gretna coach being allowed to stay on the field the entire game having private talks with the white hat ref. I really thought I was at a parks and recreation flag game where coaches are allowed on the field. Both teams were hyped up and the refs didn’t take control of the game at all, so that’s why the unsportsmanlike behavior was allowed from both teams the entire game. Refs got to do better and the Gretna coach got to know he can’t coach from the field. MV was without their all state lineman and their starting RB only played a couple of downs before getting injured. So with the missing Gretna players this game was an even game other than the poor officiating and poor leadership from the Gretna coach. If staying on the field was a strategy for the Gretna coach good job but it wasn’t enough because MV still got the W. Good luck to Gretna in the remaining games of their season. Let’s go Warrriors!!!!
I agree 💯 with you lancerfirst...several head scratching calls during the game such as the fumble by DR which MV recovered just to have the ball marked 5 yards short of the recovery, then to be overturned by a incomplete pass when the ball never came up past the #9's waist when he was trying to mimic Simeon's tip handoff to #3. Lol...like you said, MV hasn't had its full squad since opening game when Spriggs had the WR roll up on his knee from behind and linemen missing...but games go on and you have to play what you have on given days! I do want to say that Gretna is much better than what they played like last night, but that also goes for MV. Gretna's RB is one of the best backs I think MV will face all season...that young man is very special!

Gretna Hawks are a special team this season! If they can clean up their penalties, I think they can go deep in the playoffs. I like their hype during the game but it got away from them by personal fouls and unsportsmanlike behavior...but talent wise, I want to see who puts them out in 2A cause that team better pack a lunch!!! Graham may be the only team athletically that can match them athlete for athlete...haven't seen Union or Radford (although I hear nothing but the sky is the limit for Radford QB) but whomever gets the Hawks in their draw...get your popcorn ready!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT