ADVERTISEMENT

Massaponax

@HooSprings the game was definitely up for at least a few days, I watched it the same weekend it was played. Avalon did well attacking the edges but was way too pass happy.
They tried to run left behind their 5-star,6’7-360lb left tackle until HSHS switched their 4-star DE to that side,after the first drive. After that...there was no consistent running at all. Both DEs were all-state as juniors last year. They forced Avalon to throw at the best secondary in the state. All 5 DBs are D1!

Ponax should have settled any doubts tonight. Maybe their players read the board. 45-0 in the 3rd qtr over 6-1 Mountain View. MV lost to Forge 24-13 last week. I tried to tell y'all. I expect most to tuck their tails and run instead of admitting they were wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: FoxesPride
How'd they do against Martinsburg? They've won several consecutive championships in WV's largest class (AAA I believe).

They went toe to toe with Martinsburg, ran around them. Martinsburg plays 4A Salem later this season.
I just heard some more details on that Ponax/Martinsburg scrimmage. Ponax actually dominated, led 35-7 at one point. Martinsburg's coach even wanted to extend the scrimmage to give themselves a chance to score more.

I just heard some more details on that Ponax/Martinsburg scrimmage. Ponax actually dominated, led 35-7 at one point. Martinsburg's coach even wanted to extend the scrimmage to give themselves a chance to score more.
That's impressive. Mburg has ruled the state of WV for a number of years. Best of luck. I'm betting on your guys this weekend... LOL

That's not what the Martinsburg fans reported.
http://www.wvtailgatecentral.com/forum_tgc/index.php/topic,17247.msg196356.html#msg196356
http://www.wvtailgatecentral.com/forum_tgc/index.php/topic,17247.msg196357.html#msg196357
http://www.wvtailgatecentral.com/forum_tgc/index.php/topic,17247.msg196360.html#msg196360

Thanks, yeah that's the opposite of what a coach told me. Said they couldn't stop the triple option at all.

I was way wrong on tonight's game! Forge is dominating, props to them! I thought Ponax would start scoring in bunches eventually but they haven't. Next week against Highland Springs should be a great one!

It said in the write up that Martinsburg scored 1x to 0 in the first half and Martinsburg scored 5-7 times against 0 for Ponax....

It said in the write up that Martinsburg scored 1x to 0 in the first half and Martinsburg scored 5-7 times against 0 for Ponax....
I was there and Martinsburg dominated both Patrick Henry & Massaponax. LionsNation540 is delusional. He must have something against teams that win multiple state championships!!! Martinsburg would destroy Louisa...Ask Salem who is a much more respected program than Louisa how things worked out for them??? Win something and then you can chirp!!!

@BulldogSoccer you're delusional if you think Martinsburg or anyone else would "destroy" us this year. We have a 41-5 record over these past 4 seasons, 3 of those losses in 2016 with a young and injured team (that won at Sherando week 1), and haven't been blown out since 2015. We beat two teams in the 2017 playoffs that were better than Martinsburg (Monacan, Dinwiddie). Martinsburg is a great team, but we are a heck of a lot better than Salem, and especially Sherando, on both sides of the ball, and more physical this year. We just sent a 5 star linebacker to Penn State and the defense has barely dropped off, if at all. We're literally loaded at every position on both sides and have no real weaknesses. We have a ton of team speed and your outside runs and cute screens would not work against us. You would have to attack us with a strong power running game with TEs, not just near the goal line, to move the ball on us. You would need extra blockers to protect your QB. I'm done talking about hypothetical matchups, so go ahead and keep making blank statements without seeing us play. If we make it to the state final and happen to play Broad Run, you're welcome to check us out live or on NFHS.

Last edited:
@BulldogSoccer you're delusional if you think Martinsburg or anyone else would "destroy" us this year. We have a 41-5 record over these past 4 seasons, 3 of those losses in 2016 with a young and injured team (that won at Sherando week 1), and haven't been blown out since 2015. We beat two teams in the 2017 playoffs that were better than Martinsburg (Monacan, Dinwiddie). Martinsburg is a great team, but we are a heck of a lot better than Salem, and especially Sherando, on both sides of the ball, and more physical this year. We just sent a 5 star linebacker to Penn State and the defense has barely dropped off, if at all. We're literally loaded at every position on both sides and have no real weaknesses. We have a ton of team speed and your outside runs and cute screens would not work against us. You would have to attack us with a strong power running game with TEs, not just near the goal line, to move the ball on us. You would need extra blockers to protect your QB. I'm done talking about hypothetical matchups, so go ahead and keep making blank statements without seeing us play. If we make it to the state final and happen to play Broad Run, you're welcome to check us out live or on NFHS.
All you do is talk hypothetical matchups... You chirped the same crap on the 5 A board...talking about what Louisa would do to : HighLand Springs, Manchester etc... Those folks over there think you are delusional also. The Fun Fact of the day is The Mighty Louisa Lions have 0 State Championships!!! You beat a mediocre 6 A Massaponax by blocking a FG. WOW!!! Man please don’t give up your day job because your comedy act is weak!!! I hope you make it out of your region because Broad Run will smash the Mighty Lions. You don’t want any part of those NOVA Big Boys...Believe That!!!

@BulldogSoccer I don't care what anyone thinks of me on here, sir, in case I haven't made it obvious enough. Most of these people come off like they have IQs of 60. You can give zero real reasons why Martinsburg or Broad Run would "smash" us. Go have fun beating more WV cupcakes in the playoffs again.

@BulldogSoccer I don't care what anyone thinks of me on here, sir, in case I haven't made it obvious enough. Most of these people come off like they have IQs of 60. You can give zero real reasons why Martinsburg or Broad Run would "smash" us. Go have fun beating more WV cupcakes in the playoffs again.
Reason: Talent and Great Coaching!!! Knowing how to win championships!!! As for Louisa??? Still waiting!!! BTW... The Cupcakes taste real good!!! I’m sure Louisa would like a taste!!!

@BulldogSoccer and we have plenty of talent and coaching too. I guarantee if you saw our pressure defense this year, you wouldn't say any of this. Louisa would have a ton of WV titles too against those teams. I would love to see your boys face a string of 10-0 Monacan, 10-0 Dinwiddie and 9-1 Lafayette in the playoffs and see if you sniff the state title game in VA, like we did two years ago. And this is coming from someone who has seen Stone Bridge and HSHS live enough times the last few years, ain't nobody scared of the NoVA teams, especially this year's Mighty Lion defense.

@BulldogSoccer and we have plenty of talent and coaching too. I guarantee if you saw our pressure defense this year, you wouldn't say any of this. Louisa would have a ton of WV titles too against those teams. I would love to see your boys face a string of 10-0 Monacan, 10-0 Dinwiddie and 9-1 Lafayette in the playoffs and see if you sniff the state title game in VA, like we did two years ago. And this is coming from someone who has seen Stone Bridge and HSHS live enough times the last few years, ain't nobody scared of the NoVA teams, especially this year's Mighty Lion defense.
Step up to the plate like Salem and play an OOS opponent. Get out of your small fish bowl. All it takes is a phone call. That’s how you find out!

@BulldogSoccer we have Monacan, Dinwiddie, EV, HSHS etc. in our backyard. Those teams are just as good, so it's no need to travel that far. Three of them are in our region, and I bet we'll play HS sooner than later. We want to play Dinwiddie in the regular season but dates didn't match up last time they tried to schedule. If Martinsburg wants to come to The Jungle one day, feel free! Our program is still young, only been good since 2003, the best is yet to come.

Haaaa haaaa haaaa. Ho hohohoho! BWA HAAAHAAA! OMG! Somebody sign this comedian! I know... LionNation, could you come perform your skit for a halftime during a HSHS basketball game? (2004 & 2007 State Champs)
You would have the whole gym rolling on the floor!

Of course!! People like you bring it out of me!! LOL! ...and yes I am old enough to be your dad. That would make you the child!!! Just sayin'...
Still, you should look into being a comedian, you could probably make good money doing it...
This guy sure does chirp a lot about a program that has exactly 0 State Titles... Talks about how Louisa sniffed the state title game 2 years ago.Dude needs some help!!!

Of course!! People like you bring it out of me!! LOL! ...and yes I am old enough to be your dad. That would make you the child!!! Just sayin'...
Still, you should look into being a comedian, you could probably make good money doing it...
And people like you and Bulldog make me glad I grew up around smart and good people that would tell me to take the high road and not tell you what I and many others around here really think of you and your cronies. I'll just leave this here. Peace!

Last edited:
I don't have a dog (no pun intended) in this fight, but I do want to say I have a long history (50+ yrs), as part of the opposition with Mburg football, and I have nothing but the highest respect for their program. Back in the day they played in the CVAL (Cumberland Valley Athletic League), and I've seen many good games against Mburg & Fort Hill (my school in the 60s). Mburg grew in population, and FH shrunk until it was no longer competitive. Mburg has sent many a player on to WVU and other Div-1 schools. They have a great program. I long for the days of the CVAL and the strong competition among Cumberland, Hagerstown & Martinsburg public schools. I'm glad to see the Bulldogs continue play each year at the high caliber they've been known for. Peace to each of you

Reactions: LionNation540
This guy sure does chirp a lot about a program that has exactly 0 State Titles... Talks about how Louisa sniffed the state title game 2 years ago.Dude needs some help!!!
Seems to me you both chirp a lot without really ever giving consideration to the actual reality of either of your teams. Martinsburg has a good team(maybe even great this year) but, those state titles are the product of playing in West Virginia. This year is the first time, in my opinion, that Martinsburg would really be considered a serious state title contender in Virginia in 4a and they would never have been a serious contender in higher classifications. You chirp about Martinsburg playing anyone, anytime, anywhere as if you have actually knocked down a murderer's row of competition and that is just not reality. In 2009, the Bulldogs squeaked by a decidedly mediocre PH-Roanoke squad 14-9 and in subsequent games and scrimmages with them over the years the reality is the matchups have more often than not been competitive as opposed to complete domination. Make no mistake, PH-Roanoke has been no where near sniffing regional or state titles in this century. Again, Martinsburg is a good program with good players but, it is highly doubtful they are sporting that number of state championships let alone the current winning streak if they were playing in any state other than West Virginia. Louisa is another good program with good players and through the years they have been a state title contender(including this year) on several occasions but, they have not been able to finish the job, although if you listened to a FEW(one or two in particular) of their fans here you would think they were a multiple time winner. Martinsburg versus Louisa this year would be a great game, in my opinion, between two very good teams and well worth the price of admission. However, in my opinion, you both need a little more realistic perspective upon where your programs actually fit in the competitive landscape.

I hope Ponax has taken some extra time to work on their passing game over this bye. The triple option is a machine, but if they truly want to reach their ceiling they have to be a tad more balanced. A matchup with Freedom would be very interesting.

Not knowing much about Stonewall Jackson how does Ponax match up in this game? See Stonewall beat the bad teams and put a lot of points up this year. Will Ponax move past the first round with a match up against powerhouse Freedom?

Not knowing much about Stonewall Jackson how does Ponax match up in this game? See Stonewall beat the bad teams and put a lot of points up this year. Will Ponax move past the first round with a match up against powerhouse Freedom?
Stonewall is much better than in past years and is a threat, but they must play extremely well to beat Ponax. SJ has the athletes to give Ponax a game and I would expect it to be a moderately high scoring game, but Ponax has played a better schedule and SJ hasn't seen their offense much, if at all. One thing that does concern me about Ponax is they give up too many points and against an athletic team that could be their downfall.

Reactions: scloufan#
Stonewall is much better than in past years and is a threat, but they must play extremely well to beat Ponax. SJ has the athletes to give Ponax a game and I would expect it to be a moderately high scoring game, but Ponax has played a better schedule and SJ hasn't seen their offense much, if at all. One thing that does concern me about Ponax is they give up too many points and against an athletic team that could be their downfall.

Is SJ's starting QB back in the lineup? That is what really hurt them against Patriot.

Is SJ's starting QB back in the lineup? That is what really hurt them against Patriot.
I don't know, and did not even know he was out. In HS ball, that can be a back breaker. If he is out, I don't expect Ponax to have much trouble dispatching SJ.

I don't know, and did not even know he was out. In HS ball, that can be a back breaker. If he is out, I don't expect Ponax to have much trouble dispatching SJ.

All I know is that he was for the Patriot game and had an ankle injury. They were completely different without him.

Does anyone think Ponax can hang with Freedom?
I think that would come down to Freedom's ability to stop their triple option. With Ponax it comes down to the other defense being able to match up. Freedom looks to have a special team this year, but they've only been tested once. Their defense appears to be pretty good, but look at what Army, Navy, and GT have done to superior teams before. That offense could give them fits.

I think that would come down to Freedom's ability to stop their triple option. With Ponax it comes down to the other defense being able to match up. Freedom looks to have a special team this year, but they've only been tested once. Their defense appears to be pretty good, but look at what Army, Navy, and GT have done to superior teams before. That offense could give them fits.
HSHS scrimmaged them. Freedom has a massive offensive line,an excellent QB,and very good RB. LBs and DLine are good,plus they have tall DBs. Very disciplined team. That was 12 weeks ago keep in mind.

HSHS’s first offense scored twice and Freedom’s offense scored once.

The Panthers can win with long sustained drives and winning the field position battle. The problem is Freedom is likely to score fast and place them in the position of having to throw the ball to stay competitive. Freedom 30 Ponax 14 (and I hope I'm wrong!)

Reactions: LionNation540
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT