ADVERTISEMENT

My Boys 1A State Predictions and Analysis

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Just my opinion as always. I look forward to a great state tournament.

State Quarterfinals

Surry vs. Riverheads

Riverheads will need to slow the game down and make it an ugly affair. When they are on, they can really shoot the ball. They will need to really be on against Surry. Grant Painter will have to have his usual big game. Defensively, Riverheads probably hasn't seen a team with the athleticism of Surry, other than East Rockingham. Surry is aggressive on defense and explosive on offense. Montez Pope is the catalyst from his point guard position, but I'm not sure that Riverheads has anyone who can contend with Slade down low. He dominated the 4th quarter against Rappahannock and was the difference in that game down the stretch.

Prediction: Can Riverheads make Surry play at their pace? Will Surry after a scare from Rappahannock, bounce back in a big way? I say Surry indeed does. Surry 76 Riverheads 55

Carver Academy vs Rappahannock

Carver is essentially a Region A team that plays in Region B to even the number of teams out. Carver other than one hiccup against Charles City, were unbeatable in the Tidewater District. Their point guard, Jaaber is very good, and has great genes, as his dad won not only a state title but was the point guard for Virginia Union when they won the national championship in 2005. Down low they have good height with Mosher at 6'6 and Shelton at 6"5. Shelton had 21 rebounds against Riverheads. Rappahannock will spread the ball around, but the motor that makes them go is Savion Epps. He picked up 2 fouls in the first quarter against Surry, but stayed in the game and I believe only got one more foul the rest of the game. They will also need a big contribution from Delante Butler down low. He's not as tall as the Carver guys but he is a big guy who can move. Rappahannock has been in a ton of close games this year and have won a lot more than they lost.

Prediction: I think this could be a game where both teams score in the 40s. The point guard matchup will be one to watch. In the end, I think Rappahannock is a bit more battle tested and pulls it out. Rappahannock 49 Carver 43

Auburn vs Eastside

Auburn got over the hump that was George Wythe and beat them in the regional championship game after losing to them twice in the regular season. Now comes last year state runners-up in Eastside. This Eastside team is way different than last year. Last year it was about their size down low. This year led by Ethan Powers they are about speed. Credit to Coach Damron for losing two major players from last year and making it back to states. Auburn will need a big game from freshman Ethan Millirons as he's been the catalyst for them. Contributions from other players like Ford and Newcome are essential as well. Eastside however isnt just Powers. They have other good players in the form of Livingston, Kilgore, Blevins, among others. This on paper looks to be a great game.

Prediction: What role players for each team will step up? Can Auburn contain the shooting of Powers? Can Eastside contain Millirons?
Eastside 64 Auburn 59

JI Burton vs George Wythe

Another game that I think will be close. Burton got here after yet another hard fought win over Eastside. George Wythe was upset by Auburn. How do they bounce back after that loss? Burton is a very balanced team. Caleb Williams and Houston Thacker probably get the most attention, but other players like Culbertson, Allen and Zac Campbell are key contributors as well. Wythe will be led by their point guard Farrow but will need McMillan, Reeves and others to step up as well.

Prediction: How will Wythe respond to losing to Auburn? How will Burton respond after their grueling stretch of games with Eastside? In the end, I say Burton finds their way back to another matchup with the Spartans.
Burton 74 Wythe 64

State Semifinals:

Surry vs Rappahannock

I was admittedly wrong by thinking Surry would blowout Rappahannock in the regional championship. It was a game that went down to the wire and if not for a few key plays, Rappahannock would have been regional champs. But now, Rappahannock has Surry's attention. But the Raiders also now know that they can play with the Cougars and win. Will the Raiders have an answer for Slade this time. He had over 20 points and numerous rebounds and blocks in the regional championship. Delante Butler will have to have another big game of his own to counter the play of Slade. Rappahannock will have to do a better job at the free throw line as well. I could see this being another tight game but I could also see it being a case of Rappahannock awaking a sleeping giant. Prediction: Can Rappahannock once again prove they can go toe to toe with Surry? Will Surry come out with their foot on the accelerator? Surry 74 Rappahannock 60

JI Burton vs Eastside

This would be the 6th meeting of the season between these two teams. Eastside holds a 3-2 advantage. All but one of the games was decided by 5 points or less. It just doesn't get anymore evenly matched than these two teams. I think this one will be yet another classic, but this one will see one teams season come to an end. In games of this magnitude, it usually comes down to the little things. Free throws, rebounding, turnovers, etc. Whomever does these things the best will prevail. Prediction: Can Eastside get back to the state championship game? Will Burton even the season series and take the most important game? I say they do, in yet another down to the wire game. Burton 76 Eastside 75 OT

State Championship

Surry vs JI Burton

Burton has scored over 90 points on I believe 7 occasions this year. They definitely like to get out and run. But for them to have a chance in this game, I think they need to slow the pace down. Surry loves to get up and down as well, and have the better overall athletes. If Burton can control tempo and get Thacker and Williams going then they have a shot. Will they have an answer on the defensive end though. Surry obviously has Slade down low, but they also have Pope and others who can make you pay from the outside, not to mention Slade can step out and hit the three as well. Prediction: Can Surry prove why they've been considered the best in 1A all year? Can Burton be the first 1A team to beat Surry all year? Surry 78 Burton 62

Last edited:
Just my opinion as always. I look forward to a great state tournament.

State Quarterfinals

Surry vs. Riverheads

Riverheads will need to slow the game down and make it an ugly affair. When they are on, they can really shoot the ball. They will need to really be on against Surry. Grant Painter will have to have his usual big game. Defensively, Riverheads probably hasn't seen a team with the athleticism of Surry, other than East Rockingham. Surry is aggressive on defense and explosive on offense. Montez Pope is the catalyst from his point guard position, but I'm not sure that Riverheads has anyone who can contend with Slade down low. He dominated the 4th quarter against Rappahannock and was the difference in that game down the stretch.

Prediction: Can Riverheads make Surry play at their pace? Will Surry after a scare from Rappahannock, bounce back in a big way? I say Surry indeed does. Surry 76 Riverheads 55

Carver Academy vs Rappahannock

Carver is essentially a Region A team that plays in Region B to even the number of teams out. Carver other than one hiccup against Charles City, were unbeatable in the Tidewater District. Their point guard, Jaaber is very good, and has great genes, as his dad won not only a state title but was the point guard for Virginia Union when they won the national championship in 1999. Down low they have good height with Mosher at 6'6 and Shelton at 6"5. Shelton had 21 rebounds against Riverheads. Rappahannock will spread the ball around, but the motor that makes them go is Savion Epps. He picked up 2 fouls in the first quarter against Surry, but stayed in the game and I believe only got one more foul the rest of the game. They will also need a big contribution from Delante Butler down low. He's not as tall as the Carver guys but he is a big guy who can move. Rappahannock has been in a ton of close games this year and have won a lot more than they lost.

Prediction: I think this could be a game where both teams score in the 40s. The point guard matchup will be one to watch. In the end, I think Rappahannock is a bit more battle tested and pulls it out. Rappahannock 49 Carver 43

Auburn vs Eastside

Auburn got over the hump that was George Wythe and beat them in the regional championship game after losing to them twice in the regular season. Now comes last year state runners-up in Eastside. This Eastside team is way different than last year. Last year it was about their size down low. This year led by Ethan Powers they are about speed. Credit to Coach Damron for losing two major players from last year and making it back to states. Auburn will need a big game from freshman Ethan Millirons as he's been the catalyst for them. Contributions from other players like Ford and Newcome are essential as well. Eastside however isnt just Powers. They have other good players in the form of Livingston and the Whited brothers. This on paper looks to be a great game.

Prediction: What role players for each team will step up? Can Auburn contain the shooting of Powers? Can Eastside contain Millirons?
Eastside 64 Auburn 59

JI Burton vs George Wythe

Another game that I think will be close. Burton got here after yet another hard fought win over Eastside. George Wythe was upset by Auburn. How do they bounce back after that loss? Burton is a very balanced team. Caleb Williams and Houston Thacker probably get the most attention, but other players like Culbertson Allen and Zac Campbell are key contributors as well. Wythe will be led by their point guard Farrow but will need McMillan, Reeves and others to step up as well.

Prediction: How will Wythe respond to losing to Auburn? How will Burton respond after their grueling stretch of games with Eastside? In the end, I say Burton finds their way back to another matchup with the Spartans.
Burton 74 Wythe 64

State Semifinals:

Surry vs Rappahannock

I was admittedly wrong by thinking Surry would blowout Rappahannock in the regional championship. It was a game that went down to the wire and if not for a few key plays, Rappahannock would have been regional champs. But now, Rappahannock has Surry's attention. But the Raiders also now know that they can play with the Cougars and win. Will the Raiders have an answer for Slade this time. He had over 20 points and numerous rebounds and blocks in the regional championship. Delante Butler will have to have another big game of his own to counter the play of Slade. Rappahannock will have to do a better job at the free throw line as well. I could see this being another tight game but I could also see it being a case of Rappahannock awaking a sleeping giant. Prediction: Can Rappahannock once again prove they can go toe to toe with Surry? Will Surry come out with their foot on the accelerator? Surry 74 Rappahannock 60

JI Burton vs Eastside

This would be the 6th meeting of the season between these two teams. Eastside holds a 3-2 advantage. All but one of the games was decided by 5 points or less. It just doesn't get anymore evenly matched than these two teams. I think this one will be yet another classic, but this one will see one teams season come to an end. In games of this magnitude, it usually comes down to the little things. Free throws, rebounding, turnovers, etc. Whomever does these things the best will prevail. Prediction: Can Eastside get back to the state championship game? Will Burton even the season series and take the most important game? I say they do, in yet another down to the wire game. Burton 76 Eastside 75 OT

State Championship

Surry vs JI Burton

Burton has scored over 90 points on I believe 7 occasions this year. They definitely like to get out and run. But for them to have a chance in this game, I think they need to slow the pace down. Surry loves to get up and down as well, and have the better overall athletes. If Burton can control tempo and get Thacker and Williams going then they have a shot. Will they have an answer on the defensive end though. Surry obviously has Slade down low, but they also have Pope and others who can make you pay from the outside, not to mention Slade can step out and hit the three as well. Prediction: Can Surry prove why they've been considered the best in 1A all year? Can Burton be the first 1A team to beat Surry all year? Surry 78 Burton 62
Your posts are excellent.....really enjoyed them all through the year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT