ADVERTISEMENT

My State Tournament Predictions And Preview

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
As always, just my opinion. I'd love to hear how everyone else thinks it'll play out

Region A Champion Lancaster vs Region B Runner Up Franklin. This was a game that many folks thought would be played in the state semifinals. However, Altavista had other plans as they knocked off Franklin in the Region B championship. This game will be between 2 great defenses and I think it would favor Franklin if they could keep the score in the 50s. Lancaster has tremendous guard play and can really shoot it. If Franklin can use their length to cause turnovers and easy baskets, then they can pull out the win. If Lancaster handles that defense, I could see them pulling away. Prediction: Lancaster 67 Franklin 55

Region B Champion Altavista vs Region A Runner Up Middlesex. Middlesex has lost 3 games this season, all to Lancaster. Altavista, while being a top 5 team most of the season has quietly gone about their business. But the Colonels are no strangers to the state tournament and are playing exceptionally well. If they control the tempo lead by Hunt, Clay, Paul and others, then they could run away with this. But obviously Middlesex is talented too and I look for their leader Itchi Layne to have a good game and they'll also need a big game out of Jaquan Griffin and Monterl Oakley on both ends as well. Prediction: Altavista 71 Middlesex 59

Region C Champion Auburn vs Region D Runner Up Honaker. The Eagles look to defend their state title and first up is Honaker. Auburn, led by Nick Millirons, Bryce Gill and others were expected to be in contention when the season started. While a talented bunch, probably not many pegged Honaker as a state tournament team. But after a slow start, they got things going once Aidan Boyd returned from a football injury. Boyd is the straw that stirs the drink, but Honaker has plenty of others who are capable of leading them on any given night. Prediction. Auburn 55 Honaker 47

Region D Champion Twin Springs vs Region C Runner Up GeorgeWythe. This game has a chance to be a real barn burner. Twin Springs was a state semifinalist last season and are still lead by the dynamic duo of Connor Lane and Bradley Owens. The key for them might be Ryan Horne, as he gives them a third go to guy. George Wythe has about 5 or 6 guys who could lead them in scoring on any given night. That makes it hard to focus in on one particular player. Prediction: George Wythe 65 Twin Springs 55

State Semifinals: Lancaster vs Altavista. These two played back in mid January and Lancaster won by 15. I'm sure Altavista learned something from that game and I'm sure they won't be intimidated, especially being that if this matchup does happen, the Colonels will have "homecourt" advantage. This was the point where Lancaster was upset last year, when many thought they were on their way to a state title. How will they respond to that and playing in a hostile environment? Prediction: Lancaster 85 Altavista 71

State Semifinals: Auburn vs George Wythe. If this matchup happens, these two definitely won't be strangers. This would be the sixth matchup of the year between the two, with GW holding a 3-2 advantage. Auburn came back in the Region C championship behind their defense. Look for another tight game between these two rivals. Prediction: George Wythe 60 Auburn 57

State Championship: Lancaster vs George Wythe. GW has the athletes to compete with Lancaster and as mentioned before are extremely balanced. Lancaster is also balanced, but in Troy Henderson and Tyson Henderson they have two guys who can takeover a game at any time. Only a sophomore, look for Troy to come up when it matters most. Prediction: Lancaster 76 George Wythe 61

As always, just my opinion. I'd love to hear how everyone else thinks it'll play out

Region A Champion Lancaster vs Region B Runner Up Franklin. This was a game that many folks thought would be played in the state semifinals. However, Altavista had other plans as they knocked off Franklin in the Region B championship. This game will be between 2 great defenses and I think it would favor Franklin if they could keep the score in the 50s. Lancaster has tremendous guard play and can really shoot it. If Franklin can use their length to cause turnovers and easy baskets, then they can pull out the win. If Lancaster handles that defense, I could see them pulling away. Prediction: Lancaster 67 Franklin 55

Region B Champion Altavista vs Region A Runner Up Middlesex. Middlesex has lost 3 games this season, all to Lancaster. Altavista, while being a top 5 team most of the season has quietly gone about their business. But the Colonels are no strangers to the state tournament and are playing exceptionally well. If they control the tempo lead by Hunt, Clay, Paul and others, then they could run away with this. But obviously Middlesex is talented too and I look for their leader Itchi Layne to have a good game and they'll also need a big game out of Jaquan Griffin and Monterl Oakley on both ends as well. Prediction: Altavista 71 Middlesex 59

Region C Champion Auburn vs Region D Runner Up Honaker. The Eagles look to defend their state title and first up is Honaker. Auburn, led by Nick Millirons, Bryce Gill and others were expected to be in contention when the season started. While a talented bunch, probably not many pegged Honaker as a state tournament team. But after a slow start, they got things going once Aidan Boyd returned from a football injury. Boyd is the straw that stirs the drink, but Honaker has plenty of others who are capable of leading them on any given night. Prediction. Auburn 55 Honaker 47

Region D Champion Twin Springs vs Region C Runner Up GeorgeWythe. This game has a chance to be a real barn burner. Twin Springs was a state semifinalist last season and are still lead by the dynamic duo of Connor Lane and Bradley Owens. The key for them might be Ryan Horne, as he gives them a third go to guy. George Wythe has about 5 or 6 guys who could lead them in scoring on any given night. That makes it hard to focus in on one particular player. Prediction: George Wythe 65 Twin Springs 55

State Semifinals: Lancaster vs Altavista. These two played back in mid January and Lancaster won by 15. I'm sure Altavista learned something from that game and I'm sure they won't be intimidated, especially being that if this matchup does happen, the Colonels will have "homecourt" advantage. This was the point where Lancaster was upset last year, when many thought they were on their way to a state title. How will they respond to that and playing in a hostile environment? Prediction: Lancaster 85 Altavista 71

State Semifinals: Auburn vs George Wythe. If this matchup happens, these two definitely won't be strangers. This would be the sixth matchup of the year between the two, with GW holding a 3-2 advantage. Auburn came back in the Region C championship behind their defense. Look for another tight game between these two rivals. Prediction: George Wythe 60 Auburn 57

State Championship: Lancaster vs George Wythe. GW has the athletes to compete with Lancaster and as mentioned before are extremely balanced. Lancaster is also balanced, but in Troy Henderson and Tyson Henderson they have two guys who can takeover a game at any time. Only a sophomore, look for Troy to come up when it matters most. Prediction: Lancaster 76 George Wythe 61
I can’t say I disagree with your analysis. One question - Where is the TS vs GW game. If at that crazy gymn of TS it definitely will be a barn burner. I’ve been there a few times over the years, one heck of an environment and craziest fans and environment I’ve seen in a long time. Reminds me of a miniature Cameron Indoor at Duke. Went there several times when the Erwin kids and Bays were playing.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I can’t say I disagree with your analysis. One question - Where is the TS vs GW game. If at that crazy gymn of TS it definitely will be a barn burner. I’ve been there a few times over the years, one heck of an environment and craziest fans and environment I’ve seen in a long time. Reminds me of a miniature Cameron Indoor at Duke. Went there several times when the Erwin kids and Bays were playing.
On the official VHSL brackets I saw last night, it said Gate City Middle School

Your writeups and the poster that does Riverheads are always a joy to read ! Love the predictions
I appreciate the kind words. Yes, longtimerhsfan does a really great job with his write-ups on Riverheads sports. I always enjoy reading his stuff too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT