ADVERTISEMENT

Next Season

kwhs95fan

VaPreps All Region
Gold Member
Oct 17, 2006
Never too early to look ahead to next year. Here's some teams that come to mind. Please add any teams that I may have overlooked.

Region A: Lancaster loses a lot, but returns the best player in Class 1 in Troy Henderson and their jv team only lost one game this year. Northampton loses the big man in Justice, but returns Coston and Washington. Middlesex loses some, but Lane and Oakley both will be back.

Region B: Brunswick drops down and they're always in the hunt no matter what. Franklin will be back in the hunt again led by Torrance. Altavista always reloads and can't ever be counted out.

Region C: George Wythe returns basically their entire team and have to be considered one of, if not the preseason favorite. Auburn returns a bunch led by Millirons and Gill among others. Narrows brings back Kolier Pruett and that alone will make them dangerous.

Region D: Honaker only loses one senior off this year's state tournament team. Both Chilhowie had a good year this year and return key players. Grundy has the luxury of big man Jonah Looney for one more season.

Let's see how my picks hold up a year from now. Of course this isn't accounting for players transferring in or out.

Region A Champ: Lancaster
Region A Runner Up- Northampton
Region B Champion: Brunswick
Region B Runner Up: Franklin
Region C Champion: George Wythe
Region C Runner Up: Auburn
Region D Champion: Honaker
Region D Runner Up: Chilhowie

State Championship: George Wythe over Brunswick

Last edited:
Never too early to look ahead to next year. Here's some teams that come to mind. Please add any teams that I may have overlooked.

Region A: Lancaster loses a lot, but returns the best player in Class 1 in Troy Henderson and their jv team only lost one game this year. Northampton loses the big man in Justice, but returns Coston and Washington. Middlesex loses some, but Lane and Oakley both will be back.

Region B: Brunswick drops down and they're always in the hunt no matter what. Franklin will be back in the hunt again led by Torrance. Altavista always reloads and can't ever be counted out.

Region C: George Wythe returns basically their entire team and have to be considered one of, if not the preseason favorite. Auburn returns a bunch led by Millirons and Gill among others. Narrows brings back Kolier Pruett and that alone will make them dangerous.

Region D: Honaker only loses one senior off this year's state tournament team. Both Lebanon and Chilhowie had good years this year and return key players. Grundy has the luxury of big man Jonah Looney for one more season.

Let's see how my picks hold up a year from now. Of course this isn't accounting for players transferring in or out.

Region D Runner Up: Lebanon

You should write for Va Preps!

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Doesn’t Lebanon go back up to D2 based on their enrollment. Unless they have 474.5 students.
You're right I forgot to look to see if they did. I'll have to edit my post. Thanks for the catch

Region D: Honaker only loses one senior off this year's state tournament team. Both Chilhowie had a good year this year and return key players. Grundy has the luxury of big man Jonah Looney for one more season.

I think it's #2 for GW, he can flat out play..if they have all those players coming back, then I can certainly see GW back in Richmond.

The streets are already saying Troy Henderson will not be at Lancaser next season. Don't forget he got held back a year while he was in middle school. So, he's currently a sophomore who is a junior's age.

Reactions: REDDEVILS00
The streets are already saying Troy Henderson will not be at Lancaser next season. Don't forget he got held back a year while he was in middle school. So, he's currently a sophomore who is a junior's age.
What's the word on where he might end up?

If he does I can’t really blame him because he’s a really good player and could get more exposure at a prep, or city school for collage he already has 2 D1 offers and several other colleges are looking at him he is the best shooter in Lancaster history in my opinion

If he does I can’t really blame him because he’s a really good player and could get more exposure at a prep, or city school for collage he already has 2 D1 offers and several other colleges are looking at him he is the best shooter in Lancaster history in my opinion
His father is the assistant coach at Lancaster and the local AAU coach. His father has links to recruiters and colleges everywhere as his father played college basketball.

I think leaving a public school for more exposure is kind of a myth. Especialy if he already had D1 offers. Notre Dame Women's found Brunelle at William Monroe and UNC found Nickel at East Rock. Neither school is exactly a powerhouse basketball factory. High level AAU is probably more important.

I think leaving a public school for more exposure is kind of a myth. Especialy if he already had D1 offers. Notre Dame Women's found Brunelle at William Monroe and UNC found Nickel at East Rock. Neither school is exactly a powerhouse basketball factory. High level AAU is probably more important.
There’s an ole saying,”If you are good enough college coaches will find you.” They found McClung at GC, Rousy at Rockbridge, Erwin several years ago at Twin Springs, as well as those mentioned above.

Not related to this board but there have been rumblings that Mise #1 from Hopewell is leaving and reclassifying.

George Wythe, Auburn and Narrows. GW is the front runner for sure with Auburn and Narrows fighting for that second seed in the state tourney. Auburn loses the Duncan kid who I thought was their best player, but Millirons should be able to carry the load at the PG and play some SG. Really liked the Royal kid to be just a freshman. Narrows returns their top 3 scorers and two sophomores that played big minutes off the bench. They should have more depth next year. Pruett is no doubt the best Player in Region 1C and one of the top players in Virginia at the 1A level.

Auburn is still Auburn. GW, as good as they were, beat em in a tight one to advance to the state title. GW returns its guys, but so does Auburn, and the state semi's with Auburn and GW could have gone either way. I don't see any separation with GW and Auburn next year. It could go either way.

Good. I love it when kids stay true to where they come from. That kid is special and will play in college no matter what high school he attends
I’ve often said, “If a player is good enough, next level coaches will find them.” But often times hard to get parents to understand that. Granted some programs get a lot of ink but do college coaches really read news articles. With travel ball and multiple summer tournaments, the abilities of a basketball player is showcased. Believe it or not, college coaches still visit and watch high school games. Agree, must respect kids who stay at their home schools. Wish this young man nothing but the best.

Good. I love it when kids stay true to where they come from. That kid is special and will play in college no matter what high school he attends
Yes indeed. He’s literally in the gym right now as we speak🤣🤣. The kid is so focus right now it’s scary. Be on the lookout for Daveon Smith & Lamar Mattocks. Trust me, they are hungry for another one. It should be an awesome year. It’s so funny because the kids see how they are not even counting the Red Devils to get back to the championship. They said “Thanks” 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
George Wythe, Auburn and Narrows. GW is the front runner for sure with Auburn and Narrows fighting for that second seed in the state tourney. Auburn loses the Duncan kid who I thought was their best player, but Millirons should be able to carry the load at the PG and play some SG. Really liked the Royal kid to be just a freshman. Narrows returns their top 3 scorers and two sophomores that played big minutes off the bench. They should have more depth next year. Pruett is no doubt the best Player in Region 1C and one of the top players in Virginia at the 1A level.
🤔🤔🤔….I agree….if we’re talking about just the west side of VA. Don’t sleep on Lancaster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT