ADVERTISEMENT

NOVA Scrimmages

Westfield scrimmages DeMatha at home on 21 Aug at 7 pm, then travels to Quince Orchard on 27 Aug with a 5 pm start.

Some other scrimmages involving teams I think might be in the mix come playoff time:
Lake Braddock at Good Counsel, 21 Aug
South County at Western Branch, 21 Aug
Patriot at Stone Bridge, 20 Aug
Battlefield at Madison, 20 Aug
Chantilly at Langley, 20 Aug (corrected-originally had 29 Aug)
I could not find anything on Centreville; thanks SCGame

Last edited:
Westfield scrimmages DeMatha at home on 21 Aug at 7 pm, then travels to Quince Orchard on 27 Aug with a 5 pm start.

Some other scrimmages involving teams I think might be in the mix come playoff time:
Lake Braddock at Good Counsel, 21 Aug
South County at Western Branch, 21 Aug
Patriot at Stone Bridge, 20 Aug
Battlefield at Madison, 20 Aug
Chantilly at Langley, 29 Aug
Hylton at Centreville 20 Aug

Henrico outscored Hylton 21-7 in their scrimmage yesterday. Posted a brief rundown on the 5a board. I also watched Woodbridge scrimmage Osbourn Park and South County today.

Woodbridge and OP played first, I got there about half an hour after the scrimmage started, only caught a couple of possessions with the starters in. Woodbridge had thrown for a score and intercepted three passes from the point that I got there until that part of the scrimmage was done.

Woodbridge moved onto South County. I thought this would be a good test for them, after going against Osbourn Park and facing a fresh SC team that is regarded as one of the top teams in the state. They outscored SC when the starters were in 18-14, the refs left after that and both teams put in their back ups. SC backups scored a couple of touchdowns while I was on my way out.

SC drove the field and scored off a short TD pass on their first possession. Their offense looked polished to start, not only did they get back to the line fast but they did so without any hiccups, false starts, etc. with a good mix of runs and passes. They were pretty much automatic in the beginning. Their offense was not very big in size, at least compared to Woodbridge, but it didn't seem to be that much of a factor because of their execution. They ran their option style attack well most of the night, they have a couple of speedy RB's that are threats to catch out of the backfield and turn up field.

Woodbridge picked up a score when their receiver made a great catch for a 40 yard touchdown. SC QB ran the ball in for another short touchdown, but Woodbridge threw two more touchdown passes, one by the backup QB I believe, to make it 18-14 (missed extra points).

SC only scored two touchdowns when the starters were in, but they were in sync enough to make it look like they won't miss a beat from their high scoring output a season ago. Their defense was also tough to run on, aggressive, and I thought their DB's were good in pursuit.

WB had good moments too. They played with SC, offense showed decent balance and made a few nice plays through the air. They had a couple of fourth down stops on defense, a sack here, batted down pass there.

Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
First things first. Hylton did not play with their big guns. Starting quarterback running back , 2 lineman, not sure if they were offense or defense, and a couple other key players. Centerville's running game looks to be decent. Timing was a little off. Only three passes , Both incomplete. Both teams played a basic defense. Saw no blitzing Lots of missed tackles on both sides. Centerville's secondary is shaky, espcially at one corner. Centreville scored twice. One. Long drive and one short one set up by a INT. Cville had the ball on the 13 when Mother Nature exploded and the scrimmage was over.

Sounds like Westfield had a tough time with DeMatha (as expected). How did Lake Braddock do against Good Counsel?

Sounds like Westfield had a tough time with DeMatha (as expected). How did Lake Braddock do against Good Counsel?
Chantilly Langley played to a 14-14 tie.

I hear Westfield man handled 5 scores to 0. Offense very ineffective.

Did anyone expect more from Westfield??? They were playing against a college team.
They will not face a team like that again.

Did anyone expect more from Westfield??? They were playing against a college team.
Yeah, a little more. You look to see an ability to move the ball a little. They scrimmage them every year. They have had years where the scrimmage was much more competitive.

I don't think they are as good as everyone thinks. Sure they are the favorites to win the 6A north but the region isn't scary. They lost a lot on offense and it showed. JMO.

I attended the Dematha scrimmage. You are correct. No team in the Northern region would have scored. Dematha is big, fast and super aggressive. They were delivering college level hits. Totally different level of football.

I thought Centreville looked good for as many starters as they lost from their team last year. I didn't put much weight into their performance on defense because of what Hylton was missing, but they did move the ball well on offense. I think they will still have that element of explosiveness carry over from the previous two seasons as long as Richbourg is in there. I was sitting on the away side, that was a gnarly looking sky with the thunderstorm and lightning cooking in the distance, I didn't think the scrimmage was going to make it past the second series.

Any word on how that Lake Braddock - Good Counsel scrimmage went?

Found a forum that said it was 35-7 in the third and then lb scored two against the backups making it 35-21. So who knows.

Oldtimer, what forum might that be? Always on the lookout for places to read more about the teams.....

Dcsportsfan.com. Go to forums and high school football. Has something on the dematha Westfield game too. GC also has a Twitter link.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT