ADVERTISEMENT

Nova thoughts

oldtimer448

VaPreps Rookie
Aug 31, 2009
Overrated or hyped teams? To early to tell. Westfield and Centreville both had wins but the offenses we sluggish and sloppy. Soco looks tough. Lake Braddock played a freshmen team. Battlefield untested( Hylton not as good as thought). Can any of these teams match up against those recruits from the beach. Yes I said it. Ocean lakes coaches should have an asterisk next to their championship. Not the players. Jmo.

Westfield versus South County next week is the perfect get-a-read game

The last 3 years since South County has been in 6/6A they have struggled against the premier teams in NOVA - going 2-4 vs. Conference 5 (Concorde District) opponents and 0-3 vs Lake Braddock. Despite being fairly highly touted the last 2 seasons they have made early playoff exits. New turf field, Gerry Pannoni's fifth year as HC, seeming "down" year among the perennial powers ... maybe this will be a big year for South County? The South County @ Westfield match-up will be most interesting.

Overrated or hyped teams? To early to tell. Westfield and Centreville both had wins but the offenses we sluggish and sloppy. Soco looks tough. Lake Braddock played a freshmen team. Battlefield untested( Hylton not as good as thought). Can any of these teams match up against those recruits from the beach. Yes I said it. Ocean lakes coaches should have an asterisk next to their championship. Not the players. Jmo.
Stone Bridge also deserves an asterisk or two.

How about Forest Park beating Patriot 54-6 last night? I thought this was going to be a decent game since both teams won their opener, but Forest Park just blasted Patriot, score was 40-6 with five minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Their QB accounted for 300+ yards and five TD's. FP has been on the rise the last couple of seasons, but seemed to lack a big offense and their wins were by smaller margins. It probably is too early to say considering who they have played, but they do look primed to continue scoring a lot of points this year because of how well their offense is clicking early on. They may be a big sleeper in 6A South.

Battlefield may be the most well-rounded team in PWC and they did make a statement shutting out Hylton. They really could not have gotten off to a better start with their new coach and all. Woodbridge is another team off to a nice start at 2-0, their best in a few years really. Hylton should be fine this year but they could potentially drop games against teams like Woodbridge, Colonial Forge, and Forest Park. CF is already showing they can pull out the close games.

With all of that said keep an eye out on Battlefield traveling to Woodbridge (somebody will have to come out on top) and Forest Park playing at Brooke Point this coming Friday.

Could we put our stick away? This horse is dead.

This post isn't aimed at anyone, but I am sick of the recruiting stuff. That's for the off-season. Let's talk about football right now!

How about Forest Park beating Patriot 54-6 last night? I thought this was going to be a decent game since both teams won their opener, but Forest Park just blasted Patriot, score was 40-6 with five minutes left in the 2nd quarter. Their QB accounted for 300+ yards and five TD's. FP has been on the rise the last couple of seasons, but seemed to lack a big offense and their wins were by smaller margins. It probably is too early to say considering who they have played, but they do look primed to continue scoring a lot of points this year because of how well their offense is clicking early on. They may be a big sleeper in 6A South.

Battlefield may be the most well-rounded team in PWC and they did make a statement shutting out Hylton. They really could not have gotten off to a better start with their new coach and all. Woodbridge is another team off to a nice start at 2-0, their best in a few years really. Hylton should be fine this year but they could potentially drop games against teams like Woodbridge, Colonial Forge, and Forest Park. CF is already showing they can pull out the close games.

With all of that said keep an eye out on Battlefield traveling to Woodbridge (somebody will have to come out on top) and Forest Park playing at Brooke Point this coming Friday.

I was also stunned by this result. I figured it would be close, and if anyone was going to run away with it, I'd have said it would be Patriot. Forest Park has definitely turned their program around. I hope they have a great season and make a run in the playoffs.

Yes. Let's keep to the script. What's done is done. I think it's going to be a wide- open afare this season. Sucks the some of the PW teams are in the South!!

Lake Braddock plays at Annandale this week. Might tells us more about the two teams and Cville. Although Cville should have won by 24 not 10 imo.

Could we put our stick away? This horse is dead.

This post isn't aimed at anyone, but I am sick of the recruiting stuff. That's for the off-season. Let's talk about football right now!

I'm afraid this is going to be the talk all season. OL is the only team in the state that has transfers and thus IF they win it again it will be tarnished to a lot of people, but they keep forgetting the recruiting going on in their own area. But, a lot of them go about it the wise way up there as their parents have money to move into the desired school zone for their kid. All the same thing IMHO. But I agree it' getting old!

Why put the stick away, the horse is not dead? All of Virginia football is a sham until VHSL comes down real hard on Ocean Lakes. If the coach was recruiting middle schoolers and got a three game suspension I assume he also recruited the new 5 star running back this year and everyone else on the team that won the state championship last year (through the so called "school programs"). Maybe Ocean Lakes Principal/Administration should get their head out of the sand and show everyone that they are not about sacrificing the school for the sake of championships and do something about it. Also many of you recurring posters on this board are completely wimping out too by saying oh it happens everywhere, boys will be boys, ha ha. Gimme a break, happens in the beach area like no where else in the state. Stop the BS.

By the way I assume I will get restricted again on this site as I have before for speaking out. Truth hurts, apparently even more for those that support the beach teams regardless of what they do or how they do it. And the argument about people up north having more money to move where they want is a complete deflection and utter BS. At least up north we don't use school sanctioned programs to "redistrict" in players no matter where they live. The North one winning team basically gets to play the South All Stars every year. The North should actually feel extremely proud at its track record of winning state championships over the last twenty years given that fact.

Why put the stick away, the horse is not dead? All of Virginia football is a sham until VHSL comes down real hard on Ocean Lakes. If the coach was recruiting middle schoolers and got a three game suspension I assume he also recruited the new 5 star running back this year and everyone else on the team that won the state championship last year (through the so called "school programs"). Maybe Ocean Lakes Principal/Administration should get their head out of the sand and show everyone that they are not about sacrificing the school for the sake of championships and do something about it. Also many of you recurring posters on this board are completely wimping out too by saying oh it happens everywhere, boys will be boys, ha ha. Gimme a break, happens in the beach area like no where else in the state. Stop the BS.

What is the Beach area? So, OL football gets popped for influencing MS kids to come to OL. How many parents in NOVA move their kids into the Briar Woods, Stone Bridge, Lake Braddock, Centreville, and many other zones for sports? And I'm talking beyond football Baseball, Basketball, Softball, etc etc. Those sports have high transfer numbers also. Bird gets new players on a yearly basis I don't see you calling them out...Dinwiddie gets transfers...Richlands was getting called out for transfers...So it's not just a Beach problem we have 39 schools in what was the old Eastern Region which does not include Williamsburg and a lot of the zones are close in proximity...In some cities like Hampton you move across the street its a new school zone. A lot of our parents don't have the means like people have in NOVA so if a kids living situation changes which a lot of them do around here they have to change schools. Life down here is a lot different than life up there. How many kids at your favorite school drive to school on a daily basis? We probably have just as many riding the city bus to school as you have driving to school. So you stop your BS and get your head out the sand!

Last edited:
By the way I assume I will get restricted again on this site as I have before for speaking out. Truth hurts, apparently even more for those that support the beach teams regardless of what they do or how they do it. And the argument about people up north having more money to move where they want is a complete deflection and utter BS. At least up north we don't use school sanctioned programs to "redistrict" in players no matter where they live. The North one winning team basically gets to play the South All Stars every year. The North should actually feel extremely proud at its track record of winning state championships over the last twenty years given that fact.

The good ol NOVA spin job. We are doing it right they aren't we're just blessed to win a game or two against the all-star teams from the South. Same way schools up there have Math and Science programs there are programs at schools around here. If you want to play at Princess Anne and you don't live in district you have to apply to the IB program. Were you in the IB program? Do you know how hard that program is?? Do you know how hard it is to even get in that program?? But every year they are competitive in girls basketball and teams get mad. People apply for the program the students and parents do what is necessary and they win. Sorry that makes you upset, but maybe your school should use their programs. What is your solution?

I am a nobody so have no control over what VHSL, Ocean Lakes Administration, posters on this board do. So only remaining hope is that whomever comes out of North - Westfield, Braddock, Centreville, SOCO, others - beats Ocean Lakes and beats them good. Pretty bad though that we have to rely on the kids to try to right the wrong against a stacked deck on the field because the so called adults down there don't seem to know right from wrong.

By the way Rivals Administrators I am done now so you can rest easy - no more posts coming from me on this topic. Nothing is ever going to be done about the Beach approach so why should I care? I talked about this Beach BS last year and held my tongue since then but then came the Ocean Lakes suspensions this summer and then you all saying now stuff like oh let's just talk football, and boys will be boys, and that is just the way it is done, and so you enticed me back again. If nothing else, just keep this site real please. Fact of the matter is there are periodic transfers up north, in Richmond, others but there are coordinated, school supported (or at least head in the sand), coach driven, so called academic program supported, accumulations of players in certain schools down south. Deal with the truth.

Whoa is me....The NOVA schools play by the rules and the Beach are has all star teams. Yea ok!! Again majority of schools around the state specialize in some sort of program especially in cities with multiple high schools. Anyone can apply it's just some schools use that as a tool to get athletes, but they have to do what is necessary for them to get in and stay in the program. At Lake Taylor we have had football, baseball, and basketball players that were in ROTC not do what they were suppose to do and get kicked out of the program and sent to their home school.

I'm outta this thread. I will be off of these boards soon if this crying keeps up. I hear enough crying teaching high school. I am serious, this horse is dead. What else can people say about this: I've got it: "Some schools in Southeastern Virginia recruit kids and worship demonic powers," according to people in NOVA. "So do the people in NOVA. We saw you at the last give-a-hooker-to-a-middle-school-kid party and black mass."

I've got it. We're all cheating like dogs. VHSL won't do anything about it.

I've got it.

My advice: If you know about a violation, report it to your AD and let him handle it.

I'm outta this thread. I will be off of these boards soon if this crying keeps up. I hear enough crying teaching high school. I am serious, this horse is dead. What else can people say about this: I've got it: "Some schools in Southeastern Virginia recruit kids and worship demonic powers," according to people in NOVA. "So do the people in NOVA. We saw you at the last give-a-hooker-to-a-middle-school-kid party and black mass."

I've got it. We're all cheating like dogs. VHSL won't do anything about it.

I've got it.

My advice: If you know about a violation, report it to your AD and let him handle it.

I agree 100% to act like it only happens in the East is preposterous, but yet the East is always beat down for having recruits. It's like if they say it enough then it makes it easier to swallow if they lose to an East team, but if they win then they did it the "right" way. Horse has been beaten to death revived and beat again yet every year it comes up. Get over it. One coach getting in trouble paints the picture in their eyes that it's a region wide problem. SMH

damm Sam. Go eat some green eggs and ham. You all chill out man. Sorry I started this mess. Let's talk some positive football. Week two for most, three for some others. Should lead to some clearer front runners up north 6a. Can't speak for the south 6a.

The good ol NOVA spin job. We are doing it right they aren't we're just blessed to win a game or two against the all-star teams from the South. Same way schools up there have Math and Science programs there are programs at schools around here. If you want to play at Princess Anne and you don't live in district you have to apply to the IB program. Were you in the IB program? Do you know how hard that program is?? Do you know how hard it is to even get in that program?? But every year they are competitive in girls basketball and teams get mad. People apply for the program the students and parents do what is necessary and they win. Sorry that makes you upset, but maybe your school should use their programs. What is your solution?

The solution is that students can go to other schools for specialized programs but have to take core classes at their specified school that they reside in and play with that school. That is the only answer to that equation and also stop these so-called AAU football/7x7 teams that allow for unfair recruiting of Middle School kids and kids from other HS.

The solution is that students can go to other schools for specialized programs but have to take core classes at their specified school that they reside in and play with that school. That is the only answer to that equation and also stop these so-called AAU football/7x7 teams that allow for unfair recruiting of Middle School kids and kids from other HS.

So in Norfolk we have a MS like that called the International School at Rosemont where all the Smart kids go and then they can play for their home school as transportation is provided. Well this year transportation decided because of budgetary reasons they can't take kids to their home schools they can play for their home school ONLY if they find their own ride to that school for practice and games. However they can play for 2 other MS which are doing the poorest athletically as the city will provide a ride to those schools for practice. Is this fair? You are punishing kids for being smart in my eyes.

Not punishing them...it is a choice to go to these special programs not a right...you sign up for them you have to pay transportation or find transportation it's as easy as that...a lot of smart kids in all public schools but not everyone is accepted into special programs either..should be......I want to go to the X school because they have an academic program that I want to study...not I want to go to X school to get into program so I can play a specific sport at that school because my family doesn't want to move, can't move, or break rules of eligibility...easy answer to a huge issue with "recruiting" and unfair stocking of talent by some schools...

and by the way watch the ostriches turn into crickets.....won't hear anything from anyone on this....oh this is just how it is done down here....

Well....I thought this was a dead issue..Was this to save face from the school actions...Vhsl needs to step in and suspend him from all activities, school and community for one year...I guess he didn't learn his lesion and thinks he is above the rule!! Or could be just an honest mistake. Maybe a player reached out to him for personal advice. Who knows?? But is anyone really surprised?

Better to be honest, real, and "condescending" than what I see as many (not everyone but a good number of) apologists on this site. You cannot just "talk VA football" if the supposed best team in the state is pulling this kind of stuff. Has to be called out and dealt with....And 100s of Ocean Lake denizens going on Twitter, etc to "save" Coach Scott makes me want to puke especially in light of round two of his failings being reported in the article today. Plus two more games suspension means nothing against the teams they play after the accumulation of talent all in one program. There is no way this stuff just started this summer, this has to have been going on for a long time. Of course they want to save him lest they not get their fairy tale ride to a college program as he has of course had to promise them in his various recruiting missions around the area...

And by the way when I was suspended from posting to this service I said nothing more or less (or in any more or less dramatic terms) than what I am doing right now. If such gets one suspended, talk about glass houses.....

Need to pay attention to no. 5 or centerville had a good game and very athletic. Comes from football family cousins Rijo and Ricky Walker former UVA and current VT players from 757. Need some size but only a junior.

You do know ppl already knew about that before the article came out right ? Before the season started they thought he was gonna be fired as head coach the folks there didn't care about the 3 game suspension they cared him not being fired there's a reason why they started the social sites and holding his face picture up in the games and players being relived to know he was gonna come back not get fired . Once again you don't know the man or his players your all jacked up for nothing.

Yep looks like Ocean Lakes has completely sold its soul to the devil. Good program, good school, yeah right. Do the right thing Madame Principal and Administration. Two more games suspension is a joke.

This is all funny coming from a Northern VA guy like they don't sell their souls up there. There are plenty of transfer that come into the top schools in NOVA like Briar Woods, Stone Bridge, Broad Run, etc. But they all mvd because they have good reasons to move.

No one has ever denied movement into and out of NOVA teams. I will say once more.....the beach teams have a particularly concerted way of accumulating talent in one or two schools. We are not talking one or two moves, we are talking a lot more down there and the recent articles just serve to demonstrate how and why....

You say all these negative post are coming from Northerners. Do the folks down there don't care this happens? Is it common place? They scared to post a negative forum? We are just reading the reports from down there . Just curious. Most of us up here don't know the guy or what he has done or what he has meant to players. Probably the same most good head coaches do. I understand players wanting to get coached by good coaches, practice against better players and maybe fulfill their dreams of playing at the next level. To have 40% of a roster are transfers is mind boggling. But some players just want a ring. No issues there. I don't think the new running back needs much coaching. Has every college wanting him. What gets me is the coaches cheating the system. Yes all coaches try to find a loop hole. To have a coach violate terms of a suspension is just idiotic if it really happened. I think it makes the school look bad. It will be known for cheating. Hopefully they do the right thing and get all this ill will fixed. Good luck!!

You say all these negative post are coming from Northerners. Do the folks down there don't care this happens? Is it common place? They scared to post a negative forum? We are just reading the reports from down there . Just curious. Most of us up here don't know the guy or what he has done or what he has meant to players. Probably the same most good head coaches do. I understand players wanting to get coached by good coaches, practice against better players and maybe fulfill their dreams of playing at the next level. To have 40% of a roster are transfers is mind boggling. But some players just want a ring. No issues there. I don't think the new running back needs much coaching. Has every college wanting him. What gets me is the coaches cheating the system. Yes all coaches try to find a loop hole. To have a coach violate terms of a suspension is just idiotic if it really happened. I think it makes the school look bad. It will be known for cheating. Hopefully they do the right thing and get all this ill will fixed. Good luck!!

So here it goes... EVERY school in VA in some sport tries to find a loophole. He was getting the biggest knock for having basically a MS all star team associated with OL. Now in their eyes they felt it was no different than schools having travel baseball teams, field hockey teams, or soccer club teams associated with schools. Obviously Ocean Lakes felt they found a loophole in the Beach hat were suppose to go to other beach schools started enrolling at Ocean Lakes instead. If you read the original article it isn't that the coaches went out and recruited kids to OL it was people that were "associated" with the program influencing kids to come to OL. I felt like any type of team like this wasn't a good look, but I do feel that if you can do it in other sports why is it frowned upon in football?? If he violated the suspension by being around knowing people are looking is completely idiotic.

Now the 40% number has to do with kids that didn't go to OL zoned MS, but ended up at OL. It is still a very high number but can happen if kids apply to specialty programs or legally move into the zone before they start high school so I think that's not a great gauge of transfers but makes the crime look more heinous. I agree Laborn (RB) had every offer that he could ever want at Cox, so he didn't need OL coaching but from what I was told his family didn't like how things were handled at Cox. If anyone knows the dynamics at Cox the family felt that was a problem. However nowadays that can be a convenient excuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT