ADVERTISEMENT

Ocean Lakes coach's suspension extended

Sorry, I am kinda skewed toward working with numbers everyday. To help explain for a refresher (IF Needed)

If I remember things correctly, 2 (SD)standard deviations = 95% percent of all the samples are within a normal distribution bell curve. 3 (SD) standard deviations = almost 99.8% fit within the distribution. Maybe the number would be more like 2.5 SD (I think is 98% within the distribution). But the concept is the same, Identify the outlier in an objective, non-biased manner & decide how to deal with it.

Another way to think of this solution is to put all the school's coaches on the mid court line in the gym & ask everyone to take a step sideways for every transfer to the Right. To the Left if they actually lost transfers. Most schools would stop after only a few steps, with the most clustered in the middle. You would be able to see each year that most coaches only went so far. But the coach that keeps having to walk out into the right side of the gym will separate away from the group. OR IF every coach only takes 2 steps & 1 coach only takes a couple more steps, then no harm unless that same coach is always exceeding the norm. A pattern can be recognized and the Administrator can then work with that coach to correct the problem. Done & Done.

They should do that at all of the next conference, region, and state coaches meetings.

Sorry, I am kinda skewed toward working with numbers everyday. To help explain for a refresher (IF Needed)

If I remember things correctly, 2 (SD)standard deviations = 95% percent of all the samples are within a normal distribution bell curve. 3 (SD) standard deviations = almost 99.8% fit within the distribution. Maybe the number would be more like 2.5 SD (I think is 98% within the distribution). But the concept is the same, Identify the outlier in an objective, non-biased manner & decide how to deal with it.

Another way to think of this solution is to put all the school's coaches on the mid court line in the gym & ask everyone to take a step sideways for every transfer to the Right. To the Left if they actually lost transfers. Most schools would stop after only a few steps, with the most clustered in the middle. You would be able to see each year that most coaches only went so far. But the coach that keeps having to walk out into the right side of the gym will separate away from the group. OR IF every coach only takes 2 steps & 1 coach only takes a couple more steps, then no harm unless that same coach is always exceeding the norm. A pattern can be recognized and the Administrator can then work with that coach to correct the problem. Done & Done.

I see the numbers being a red flag but not necessarily indicative of a problem. Lots of schools in the Tidewater area are very driven by Military changes. Families come and go all the time. Their numbers will be different. The BD is doing their job and taking ther open actions. Don't think that OL is the only school being reviewed. And remember, these punishments were not VHSL suspensions, the BD did it.

Its not just Lakes, another local team has had 20+ transfers in one SUMMER without the strength of a national ranking or recent state title to even brag about. Winning at all costs seems to be more important to some coaches. HS football is the last time it's for fun and not a business and it's a shame some people would rather recruit than build from within and coach guys up. That's entirely more rewarding to me than plucking the best kids from their home schools to pad a resume. Transfers always happen don't get me wrong its just the way some people go about them.

I see the numbers being a red flag but not necessarily indicative of a problem. Lots of schools in the Tidewater area are very driven by Military changes. Families come and go all the time. Their numbers will be different. The BD is doing their job and taking ther open actions. Don't think that OL is the only school being reviewed. And remember, these punishments were not VHSL suspensions, the BD did it.

How many military transfers would make a family move from Chesapeake to the Beach or from Great Bridge to Indian River?

The out of the area transfers would be mixed into the overall normal distribution since all of Tidewater is transient. This methodology is only looking for the program that has set themselves outside normal group behaviors. In reality no rules about transfers are even needed. If the penalty for being the outlier is stiff enough, it becomes a self policing program. Who cares if you have 20 studs, the team would be sitting at home the Second week of December.

I like the idea of the past link rule and I also question how enforceable it would be. The Boo Williams pipeline to certain schools would be shut down. It's amazing how blatant it is and how easy it is to rubber stamp a kid into a magnet program. If you want players in basketball in the Hampton roads area you better be coaching AAU or have someone on your staff that is. It's obvious in some cases, every year there are a couple D1 kids that transfer in to a particular school - some amazing coincidences down there.

This is first time I have heard of the stuff going on down there at Ocean Lakes. (I normally don't follow 6A).

I have maintained for years that the VHSL basically ignores recruiting violations within member schools. What VHSL should do is, if a school or coach is caught recruiting, that school should be ineligible for post season for 5 years.

As for OL, that coach should have been suspended for much longer period than he got.

This is first time I have heard of the stuff going on down there at Ocean Lakes. (I normally don't follow 6A).

I have maintained for years that the VHSL basically ignores recruiting violations within member schools. What VHSL should do is, if a school or coach is caught recruiting, that school should be ineligible for post season for 5 years.

As for OL, that coach should have been suspended for much longer period than he got.

Reactions: bceagle47
What VHSL should do is, if a school or coach is caught recruiting, that school should be ineligible for post season for 5 years.

Five years though? Sounds like a bit too much to me even for a first offense recruiting violation. I think a ban for one post season (especially on a team that does well year-in year-out) in addition to long suspensions for the coach and one of those "we have eyes on you" warnings would send the message to straighten up. Then maybe hit the multiple post season ban if more violations are found.

Five years though? Sounds like a bit too much to me even for a first offense recruiting violation. I think a ban for one post season (especially on a team that does well year-in year-out) in addition to long suspensions for the coach and one of those "we have eyes on yo

Ocean Lakes was caught using an ineligible player 5 or 6 years ago.

Recruiting has no place in high school football. I know of a case where a player was recruited by a neighboring school that would make any college coach proud if he done recruit like that.

Saw this bumped and thought he was suspended AGAIN. Sheesh.
Five years though? Sounds like a bit too much to me even for a first offense recruiting violation. I think a ban for one post season (especially on a team that does well year-in year-out) in addition to long suspensions for the coach and one of those "we have eyes on you" warnings would send the message to straighten up. Then maybe hit the multiple post season ban if more violations are found.

I think if a school has a post season ban then all the players there will transfer out . The coach should be fired and not be re hired at a VHSL school in 5 years. Go let him be a private school coach.

Being a Centreville guy the last 4-5 years I know seeing this bothers a lot of people knowing that 22 of the 22 starters from Centreville's team that lost in OT to Ocean Lakes all walked into the school as freshman, and when this class was in middle school Cville was very down. Those kids all went to their community HS and built a nationally ranked team and gave that all star team all it wanted despite some big injuries.

There have been 2 coaches suspended/fired the week before playing a team built up with All Star transfer squads! The principals have a much higher standard of sportsmanship, honesty and integrity at Cox & Great Bridge vs Ocean Lakes (boys will be boyz) & Indian River HS.

One of those schools will likely win a State Championship the other likely will not. Both of those coaches will be honored by the media instead of shaming them publicly like they deserve for teaching their kids to scam the system just don't get caught!

Both schools are getting fed by unethical middle school club teams that tell the star players that a Div 1 scholarship won't be possible unless he transfers to the All Star Team. They convince the parents that their current coach isn't utilizing their son properly or starting them as Freshan. Those coach's keep getting there contracts renewed every year.

The media can step in & pressure the governing bodies of the Club teams to fire the unethical coaches. That would be the end of the cheating!

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_vu6vqwsr4nf3b
Here's the problem. After it's all said and done anybody who wins a title from the beach area will be considered cheaters until they get a handle on this. The players put their time in, work hard to be better players and then get labeled as bad individuals. Some may care, some not. Some will even get a scholarship and continue their football career. From a northern region and a centreville fan, what is done is done. I don't put any blame on the players, but put blame on the school systems and vhsl for being sideline coaches. Let's get these issues from gangs to so called recruiting fixed for the whole state.

There have been 2 coaches suspended/fired the week before playing a team built up with All Star transfer squads! The principals have a much higher standard of sportsmanship, honesty and integrity at Cox & Great Bridge vs Ocean Lakes (boys will be boyz) & Indian River HS.

One of those schools will likely win a State Championship the other likely will not. Both of those coaches will be honored by the media instead of shaming them publicly like they deserve for teaching their kids to scam the system just don't get caught!

Both schools are getting fed by unethical middle school club teams that tell the star players that a Div 1 scholarship won't be possible unless he transfers to the All Star Team. They convince the parents that their current coach isn't utilizing their son properly or starting them as Freshan. Those coach's keep getting there contracts renewed every year.

The media can step in & pressure the governing bodies of the Club teams to fire the unethical coaches. That would be the end of the cheating!

You don't have any idea what the Cox coach was fired for, do you?

Once again Beach Schools other then Cox and Kellam have so many apartments and townhouses that offer around the same monthly rent that other school zones have except the 2 mention above. Again it's not hard for families to move from one home to another so that their son, brother, nephew etc can have the biggest opportunity to get a free ride to college ! all these schools are so close to each other that the farthest school Bayside HS , NW side of va beach is only 12 miles away Ocean Lakes near SE Va Beach near the beach. Again this is a heavily military area Navy so I'm sure it makes it easier for a family to pick best school for their kid to play football since a lot of places here offer military discounts or housing

Last edited:
You don't have any idea what the Cox coach was fired for, do you?
I heard he put a “HIT” on the star RB that transferd from Cox some players Cox team didn't like that idea told school AD or something like that

KqLPb0IrGHwiY.gif

We all know nothing is going to happen at the VHSL level. It has to start in districts. Ya'll are wasting energy.

I know we all have our biases, but I have never heard of any team being punished for recruiting violations in the VHSL except for Ocean Lakes. So, in my opinion, the Beach District gains a lot of credibility. Nobody in the rest of the state is doing anything.

Enjoy this thread while it lasts. Next year Coach Scott is not going to be a VHSL or beach district problem. He will be taking his "talents" and a dozen of his OL players to Bishop Sullivan. He will be a VISAA problem next year, where he can continue to do what he is doing and not get in trouble for it.

It's a perfect fit. He can do all the things he is doing now and getting in trouble for, and suffer no consequences at Bishop Sullivan. He can recruit all over the Tidewater area and kids have no district boundaries. It's going to happen, wait and see.

That's quite a statement to make without significant verification! If the kids at Ocean Lakes found out, they might quit the team or sabotage their own playoffs!

That would be false news Lol Bishop catholic plays in a weaker football division and let's say coach Scott leaves I don't think many would leave if coach Raimey were to be named head coach , coach Raimey and the coaching staff did good job preparing this year OL team, they looked far better this year then last we team and they scrimmaged quality teams and whooped everyone first 5 games including scrimmage teams

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT