Official preseason girls top 5

Nov 20, 2018
Its official Champ Ranks Is ready for the official preseason poll

1 GW > strengths Coaching, speed, shooting

2 Honaker > strengths size, toughness

3 PH > strengths Team play, great guard shooting

4 PM strengths Coaching, established program
Champions.

5 Surry Strengths Coaching, Speed, established program.

Summary

GW looks very strong on paper but has failed to come through in the past. I still give them the number 1 spot.

Honaker could easily hoist the trophy. I must admit they are my Heart and Soul pick.

PH has excellent shooting and great team play. I was impressed by their success last year

PM A three time state champion is not luck. Teams like that are developed over many years of building. Programs like this and Central wise are built to last. Graduating seniors do not affect great coaches. They reload instead of rebuilding.

Surry Would be State Champs if not for PM.
They also have built a program that will not be affected by some graduates. Programs like these will be tough for many years

Champ come on

I thought we had reconnected after all the SW years together. First of all Surry was lucky to get by Riverheads last year. Secondly your entire list is mostly West loaded again. You need to crawl out of your south west va hole from time to time old man

I’m joking of course but not about Surry being lucky last year.

Also the word around here is that PM graduated everyone. I’m thinking you have them ranked to high. You may want to reconsider your list. I understand PM to be mostly sophomores and very young. I think the air your breathing from Tennessee is causing your mind issues. Get away from SWVA for a change.

Although I believe you have PM overrated I will agree about GW girls. I haven’t personally watched them play but practically everyone I’ve spoken to says they will be good. Let’s slide Riverheads somewhere on your list and I will leave you alone.
We can revisit this after Casto brings another State title into gladiator land. I know this isn’t the football board but everyone has to be excited about Casto being back.

Gladiators

First of all I’ve been getting out of SWVA regularly now for about 9 years. My wife and I stay close to my daughter in lower PA during much of the basketball season. My oldest whom I believe you know is coaching in PA. ( please keep her name off the message boards ) and mine as well ( smiling)

Secondly I don’t feel the East has caught up to the West. For several years the East has noticeably been behind the West. That along with the fact that yes I know more about West teams is why I lean West.

As far as the PM prediction I will respectfully hold my position. Your argument is they are young ? Sophomores as you say. My answer back is didn’t Gilbert take a group of freshmen to the final 4?

As I’ve stated before there are two gentlemen that have currently won 3 States in a row. Gilbert for PM and Dotson for central Wise. There will never be a season that Dotson is not at least solid. If Gilbert loses I will be floored. Great Coaches are never average. If you want to see the Gladiators on my top 5 then show me the money.

Feel free to post your top 5 and we will see who gets it right later on. I do agree about your football comment. Riverheads football is a crazy good program.

It is all about GW, because they have worked so hard.Ok we can give them the top spot since they want it, but shouldn’t Surry County be the top team really at this point, with 6 returning seniors that have made the state finals two years straight. We must give Surry at least the #2 spot, right?

GW can be the team to beat and we will except the challenge of knocking GW off their top spot in 2019-20. We don’t mind being #3 for now, the Lady Tigers have worked hard also and have only one goal for 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: champrankings
It is all about GW, because they have worked so hard.Ok we can give them the top spot since they want it, but shouldn’t Surry County be the top team really at this point, with 6 returning seniors that have made the state finals two years straight. We must give Surry at least the #2 spot, right?

GW can be the team to beat and we will except the challenge of knocking GW off their top spot in 2019-20. We don’t mind being #3 for now, the Lady Tigers have worked hard also and have only one goal for 2020.

I think Surry has a great program and certainly deserves to be on the list. I just feel the west out matches the East pretty badly.
I’m 100 percent on board with you about the lady Tigers.

Toetheline said: First of all Surry was lucky to get by Riverheads last year.
You must be thinking about the boys game because Surry beat Riverheads 74-54 in girls state semifinals last year.

Toetheline said: First of all Surry was lucky to get by Riverheads last year.
You must be thinking about the boys game because Surry beat Riverheads 74-54 in girls state semifinals last year.

The games final score isn’t always the real story of the game.

I understand Surry has been around for a while and will be a force in the EAST. I’d just like to see the Gladiator girls get some respect for a solid program. Our girls play a tremendous schedule most years.

So a 20-point difference is lucky? The score was 22-11 after the first quarter and 38-25 at halftime. And Surry led 50-27 in the third quarter.

So a 20-point difference is lucky? The score was 22-11 after the first quarter and 38-25 at halftime. And Surry led 50-27 in the third quarter.

I personally know Toetheline and while he’s over the top at times and very pesky he also knows the game. Toetheline knows that Riverheads wasn’t really a challenge to Surry last year. Am I right toetheline. Ha ha ha I’m just yanking your chain a little. It sure is nice to see someone give toe the business when he says off the wall things.

As far as the PM prediction I will respectfully hold my position. Your argument is they are young ? Sophomores as you say. My answer back is didn’t Gilbert take a group of freshmen to the final 4?

As I’ve stated before there are two gentlemen that have currently won 3 States in a row. Gilbert for PM and Dotson for central Wise. There will never be a season that Dotson is not at least solid. If Gilbert loses I will be floored. Great Coaches are never average. If you want to see the Gladiators on my top 5 then show me the money.

Feel free to post your top 5 and we will see who gets it right later on. I do agree about your football comment. Riverheads football is a crazy good program.

Ok Champ valid point about great coaches never being average. I guess I can’t brag about Casto and the program he’s built without acknowledging that philosophy is probably correct. I guess I’m just not entirely sold on PMs program. I realize what they accomplished but in my 9 years of living in Augusta county I’ve never heard of PM being a power house girls program until the past few years.
Everyone in the State East Coast or West knows Dotson / Wise County.
It doesn’t matter at this point. I don’t really care what PM has. The Gladiator girls will be ready this year. We are building a program of our own. Stay tuned old timer.

Ok Champ valid point about great coaches never being average. I guess I can’t brag about Casto and the program he’s built without acknowledging that philosophy is probably correct. I guess I’m just not entirely sold on PMs program. I realize what they accomplished but in my 9 years of living in Augusta county I’ve never heard of PM being a power house girls program until the past few years.
Everyone in the State East Coast or West knows Dotson / Wise County.
It doesn’t matter at this point. I don’t really care what PM has. The Gladiator girls will be ready this year. We are building a program of our own. Stay tuned old timer.

We will find out soon enough old friend. I will stick by my original statement. Great coaches will never have a losing record after their program is developed.

Surry also has a new coach not sure if that's gonna change things

I think that that could certainly change things.

I will say PM will be a very young team this season. To my knowledge they only have one player returning from last season, shes a sophomore. She will be a star no doubt. They are reloading and by end of season they will be in the hunt to compete in the regions possibly. The next 2 years after that, expect the same PM team from the last 4 years. They are very athletic and maybe even better shooters than in the past but once again, full of freshman and sophomores. My pick is GW

Galax will be good by the end of year, 2freshman starting tonight in scrimmage. GW is the oddsmakers choice

Surry may have a new coach, but it's the same coach that took the team to a state title in 2010. Still a young squad but they have a good blend of guards and post play. Should be a competitive team once again.

Did he assistant Coach at Princess Anne back in the early 2000s or I’m I thinking of someone else ?

I know Surry has put together a very solid program

I will say PM will be a very young team this season. To my knowledge they only have one player returning from last season, shes a sophomore. She will be a star no doubt. They are reloading and by end of season they will be in the hunt to compete in the regions possibly. The next 2 years after that, expect the same PM team from the last 4 years. They are very athletic and maybe even better shooters than in the past but once again, full of freshman and sophomores. My pick is GW

I agree with this post. I’ve been debating with toetheline about this. There’s no way a coach like Gilbert that’s now established a system will have a losing team. I believe the last team he took to the final four all freshman and sophomores?
Expect PM to meet GW for the region championship.

I must add though I’d be careful comparing anyone to the group that just came through. That’s not fair at all.

The more I hear from each teams localities the mire I stick by my list.

Oh yes and by the way this is the artist formally known as champrankings.

Last edited:
Surry may have a new coach, but it's the same coach that took the team to a state title in 2010. Still a young squad but they have a good blend of guards and post play. Should be a competitive team once again.

I will admit surry is a good team that was well coached. Riverheads couldn’t handle their pressure. I think Riverheads is heading the right direction when it comes to program building as well

If they are a team that competes for the region then they will have to play someone decent eventually. It’s my understanding that Riverheads wanted to schedule them but the blues wanted no part of it.

Hope all or you are having a great Thanksgiving
I’m updating my poll just ahead of the Season

Final rankings before many teams kick off their season. Here it goes

1. GW Ok Ok you get the top spot but I must note that you haven’t earned it yet.
Strengths guard play and speed, Coaching
Weakness haven’t proven they can get it done on a big stage

2. Honaker
Strengths toughness, toughness, toughness
Weakness limited expose to the big show

3. PM ( moving up )
Strengths Coaching, Coaching Coaching 3 states in a row

Weakness very young team ( however they were young the last time their Coach developed a State Champ )

4. Eastside
Strengths a program that continues to reload, Coaching

Weakness lost their best Scorer

5. Surry

Strengths speed, and the ability to play on the big stage

Weakness new coach , new system,

there it is guys the new rankings for the start of the season. Pick away at it I look forward to your feed back

Last edited:
Hope all or you are having a great Thanksgiving
I’m updating my poll just ahead of the Season

Final rankings before many teams kick off their season. Here it goes

1. GW Ok Ok you get the top spot but I must note that you haven’t earned it yet.
Strengths guard play and speed, Coaching
Weakness haven’t proven they can get it done on a big stage

2. Honaker
Strengths toughness, toughness, toughness
Weakness limited expose to the big show

3. PM ( moving up )
Strengths Coaching, Coaching Coaching 3 states in a row

Weakness very young team ( however they were young the last time their Coach developed a State Champ )

4. Eastside
Strengths a program that continues to reload, Coaching

Weakness lost their two best Scorers

5. Surry

Strengths speed, and the ability to play on the big stage

Weakness new coach , new system,

there it is guys the new rankings for the start of the season. Pick away at it I look forward to your feed back
Eastside has both of their top players back.

My ranking
1. GW- speed speed speed, one of the better backcourts/guard play we’ve seen in a long time.
2. Honaker- There tough and play together but don’t knw if there post player is healthy. I heard there best player is hurt....that will play a big factor....any truth to this. If so I might flip flop 2 and 3.
3. Eastside- Well Coached and plays together. Beat Honaker is scrimmage the other day.
4 PH Returns several starters. Plays together and well coached.
5 PM- Can’t count them out. New group and will be well coached again.

Surry- I left off the list because they are coming from the other side of VA.

I heard GW scrimmaged Union and Gretna today and beat them pretty convincingly which I believe there 2A Schools. Also I heard the girl from honaker(post player) is out. Any truth to this.

My ranking
1. GW- speed speed speed, one of the better backcourts/guard play we’ve seen in a long time.
2. Honaker- There tough and play together but don’t knw if there post player is healthy. I heard there best player is hurt....that will play a big factor....any truth to this. If so I might flip flop 2 and 3.
3. Eastside- Well Coached and plays together. Beat Honaker is scrimmage the other day.
4 PH Returns several starters. Plays together and well coached.
5 PM- Can’t count them out. New group and will be well coached again.

Surry- I left off the list because they are coming from the other side of VA.

I heard GW scrimmaged Union and Gretna today and beat them pretty convincingly which I believe there 2A Schools. Also I heard the girl from honaker(post player) is out. Any truth to this.

Yes the news I hear from Honaker is not adding up to be good news. I’m holding out hope as I’m still out of town and haven’t confirmed with anyone in the community. Tigers still have a solid Team no matter what

I’m a big fan of PM as well. However this team is young. I don’t see them meeting GW in the regional finals. And this team will never be at the same level as th team from the last 4 years. I think Gilbert is getting a little to much credit for the team he had. They were a championship level team when he got them.Toethelines comment about Pm never being a power before those girls came is accurate. PM does have some talent on the team but not enough to be contenders.

I’m a big fan of PM as well. However this team is young. I don’t see them meeting GW in the regional finals. And this team will never be at the same level as th team from the last 4 years. I think Gilbert is getting a little to much credit for the team he had. They were a championship level team when he got them.Toethelines comment about Pm never being a power before those girls came is accurate. PM does have some talent on the team but not enough to be contenders.

Championship level when he got them ? Can someone give the JV coach a raise.
Ha ha be a blue I’m just bursting your bubble a little. My daughter has coached at a D3 level now for 14 years and I often am guilty for taking up for coaches. I watched PM several times the past few seasons but I truly don’t know their history well.

I will say again though I believe coaching makes a difference and still feel like PM will play for a region title. I’m sure Gilbert has his hands all over the JV program. Most Varsity coaches do

The great thing about this is we will all see who’s predictions are accurate. As this will all play out very soon.

Championship level when he got them ? Can someone give the JV coach a raise.
Ha ha be a blue I’m just bursting your bubble a little. My daughter has coached at a D3 level now for 14 years and I often am guilty for taking up for coaches. I watched PM several times the past few seasons but I truly don’t know their history well.

I will say again though I believe coaching makes a difference and still feel like PM will play for a region title. I’m sure Gilbert has his hands all over the JV program. Most Varsity coaches do

The great thing about this is we will all see who’s predictions are accurate. As this will all play out very soon.
JV coach was not the one who taught these girls how to play. They were playing AAU. Two of the dads were the ones that taught these girls how to play and how to be winners. They made them tough. They were rarely the most athletic team but they were always the most physical. They taught them to hate to lose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT