ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Smith playing St. John Bosco (CA) next year?

I know the Coaches had been going back & forth on Twitter about this but I didn't think it was serious. Let's see how this plays out. Smith could have some surprises that would make this game very interesting! Regardless, I think this Spring 2021 team ranks as high or higher than any I've seen & should have received National Rankings for their accomplishments. But, I know that makes me a homer!

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Not a peep about this so far. If I had to guess, the contract is not completed. Once they finish things up, we'll know more.

Coaches are hinting about a big announcement soon. Still think they are working on the details. The streaming service is nice BUT an ESPN game would be better.

VAPilot just confirmed that St. John Bosco will come out to Chesapeake to play the Tigers. Sept 17 or 18. Let's hope for National TV coverage!!

That will be a tough game for Oscar Smith but they know what they are doing year after year.

I think the only chance Oscar Smith has in this game is if Bosco overlooks them which is possible (Bosco has Mater Dei on deck). Bosco openly recruits. They are absolutely loaded with talent. Props to Oscar Smith for scheduling them. I will probably watch a half to see how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: CavsGrad
I agree and they recruit from an area more populated than all of Virginia. Bosco doesn't have a real weakness. Nobody on the east coast has their depth and talent, aside from IMG and maybe St. Frances, but Bosco's coaching is next level. My gut says Bosco's line will set the tone on both sides of the ball. However, last week East St. Louis just provided a blue print that Smith could use to get the upset.

Looks like it will be on the NFHS network.

@757FridayNiteZ what's your thoughts on this game?
The coaches are actually friends. I think this is how the game got arranged. Who knows how the game will turnout but of course, I am hoping for the best. The Spring version of the Tigers was likely better than the current team. Mostly, the LB core graduated for Smith and they are still learning how & when to get proper drops with pass coverage. BUT they may have a better set of DB's this fall if that is possible by getting a sophomore transfer that is rated in the top 5 nationally!

I think they rested the OL & a couple of key players last week vs Grassfield. AND that game was one of the worst 57-0 games I have witnessed. Those backups obviously provided great run blocking but for Friday's game vs St. Johns Bosco, Smith's QB, Vasco will be happy to get his big heavy's back in the game. Their Senior, ALL State Center has been out a couple of games. He will be a crucial part of that crew if he is back Friday!!

Strategy wise, I hope Smith decides to run the ball as much as possible then catch their defense off guard with a few bombs down field. I see this team every week and I am STILL a bit surprised by the size of their OL. When Smith goes with a HEAVY, tight look, I am not sure they can be stopped! AND Coach Scott did nearly pull of a huge upset vs IMG with that team he had @ Bishop Sullivan about 3 years ago. He gets pretty conservative in big games BUT to win it, I think it's gonna take some trickeration stuff. Let's see. I have my tickets & I will arrive EARLY if possible.

For streaming, not sure if NFHS Network will have it. FLOSports might but they are expensive!!! There is usually a feed from a fan from Facebook that is pretty good. The below link has some of their other games and works versus trying to find link that is not a scam that actually works.

He normally does a LIVE event & provides amateur commentary but he isn't too bad. The problem will be that he has to deal with the fan noise around him for these games.

Reactions: CavsGrad
I agree Coach Scott's conservative approach in the big games can be frustrating to watch and in that IMG game, the lack of kicking was critical. Smith will need to run the clock to keep Bosco's offense off the field. I was telling my friend on the staff that they could use a few more transfers, but I'm hopeful they can shock everyone. I've got an expired Flo subscription (that still works?) but didn't see the listing. I was hoping Flo had it, at least to get some commentary. I'll try the guy on Facebook too. Let's go Smith.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ
Smith would have to hope the Pope turns against Bosco to have a chance in that game.
Smith will take whatever positive help they can get. If anyone can orchestrate a shocker, Coach Scott & his staff can.

And conservative was the way he went vs Massaponax in that Spring battle. Smith only opened things up for their late, second quarter drive to score what proved to be the difference maker in that game. I had the sense he was holding back on the reigns tightly in that game. Then, vs South County he opened the flood gates on them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT