ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Smith vs Indian River

757FridayNiteZ

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Sep 9, 2015
New head Coach, Chris Scott has injected his high energy enthusiasm into a young group of Tigers. This version of the Tigers reminds me of their 2015 version which took a much bigger and more experienced Westfield team to Triple OT in the State Final game. That was the season that Smith upset Ocean Lakes who was ranked #6 Nationally. Guess who Coached OL that year?

This team has speed at all positions along with an OL/DL that stood up to Highland Springs better than most, including myself could have imagined. Interestingly enough is that we also have an up and coming sophomore QB that is capable of producing on a high level, same as that 2015 team. Amazingly similar is that they also have had a couple D1 level transfers that left the program over the summer. It's tempting to wonder how things would play out with those kids back on the team but looking back and wishing doesn't win any games. So, we move on and take all comers the same as always.

Below is an excerpt from the Recruit757 article about Saturday's game. It's a grudge match for sure. For me the differences from last year is that the Braves don't have the Smith QB transfer playing for them. Their QB is good but short and he has to move around to create passing lanes. NorthEastern (NC) was able to stop some drives with batted down passes which also created at least 1 interception. Smith has length that could do the same if they get their hands up at the right time. I'm feeling pretty good about Smith's team speed keeping up with I. River's track stars after watching that Springer game. The unknown factor is whether the Braves will have their top DL back after being knocked out early with a shoulder injury in their 1st game.

The Braves beat up Smith pretty good last year and took out each of the Tigers' top players but i don't expect the same thing to occur this go around. The excitement will be as high as it was vs Highland Springs. So, you know where I'll be on Saturday!

Recruit757 excerpt:
Indian River hosts, and they come into this week having rebounded from a season opening loss to Northeastern (NC). The Braves had the game won but let two scores in the final quarter ding their record from the start of the season. Oscar Smith is in a similar boat. They performed well in their opener against Highland Springs, but let the game slip away in the second half.

Last year’s game at Easley-Beard-DuLong Stadium was a coming of age for the Braves. They hadn’t beaten the Tigers in twenty years. Indian River took advantage of Tiger miscues and the Braves rode a ferocious defense and a sure-handed offense to a convincing win. In 2015, the Braves had the Tigers on the ropes, but couldn’t seal the deal. That game seems a distant memory.

Oscar Smith comes in with a new head coach and a new attitude. While memories of Rich Morgan still echo in the hallways of Oscar Smith High School, Chris Scott is already creating a new legacy in Tigerland.

Indian River has a new coach, but a familiar face. Marcus Ferebee has picked up where his brother Glenwood left off. The Ferebee tradition is alive and well with the Braves.

At this time last year, we might have had doubts that Indian River truly believed they could win the big one. They proved those doubts wrong last year. With Chris Scott at the helm, there should be no doubt that the Tigers believe they can win here. Now it comes down to execution.

Practice this week will be intense. Game day will register 100 on the hype meter. The countdown is on for this week’s most anticipated game of the season. Don’t let your intensity peak too early. It’s not Saturday yet.

– Andy Hilton

Last edited:
Reactions: CavsGrad
New head Coach, Chris Scott has injected his high energy enthusiasm into a young group of Tigers. This version of the Tigers reminds me of their 2015 version which took a much bigger and more experienced Westfield team to Triple OT in the State Final game. That was the season that Smith upset Ocean Lakes who was ranked #6 Nationally. Guess who Coached OL that year?

This team has speed at all positions along with an OL/DL that stood up to Highland Springs better than most, including myself could have imagined. Interestingly enough is that we also have an up and coming sophomore QB that is capable of producing on a high level, same as that 2015 team. Amazingly similar is that they also have had a couple D1 level transfers that left the program over the summer. It's tempting to wonder how things would play out with those kids back on the team but looking back and wishing doesn't win any games. So, we move on and take all comers the same as always.

Below is an excerpt from the Recruit757 article about Saturday's game. It's a grudge match for sure. For me the differences from last year is that the Braves don't have the Smith QB transfer playing for them. Their QB is good but short and he has to move around to create passing lanes. NorthEastern (NC) was able to stop some drives with batted down passes which also created at least 1 interception. Smith has length that could do the same if they get their hands up at the right time. I'm feeling pretty good about Smith's team speed keeping up with I. River's track stars after watching that Springer game. The unknown factor is whether the Braves will have their top DL back after being knocked out early with a shoulder injury in their 1st game.

The Braves beat up Smith pretty good last year and took out each of the Tigers' top players but i don't expect the same thing to occur this go around. The excitement will be as high as it was vs Highland Springs. So, you know where I'll be on Saturday!

Recruit757 excerpt:
Indian River hosts, and they come into this week having rebounded from a season opening loss to Northeastern (NC). The Braves had the game won but let two scores in the final quarter ding their record from the start of the season. Oscar Smith is in a similar boat. They performed well in their opener against Highland Springs, but let the game slip away in the second half.

Last year’s game at Easley-Beard-DuLong Stadium was a coming of age for the Braves. They hadn’t beaten the Tigers in twenty years. Indian River took advantage of Tiger miscues and the Braves rode a ferocious defense and a sure-handed offense to a convincing win. In 2015, the Braves had the Tigers on the ropes, but couldn’t seal the deal. That game seems a distant memory.

Oscar Smith comes in with a new head coach and a new attitude. While memories of Rich Morgan still echo in the hallways of Oscar Smith High School, Chris Scott is already creating a new legacy in Tigerland.

Indian River has a new coach, but a familiar face. Marcus Ferebee has picked up where his brother Glenwood left off. The Ferebee tradition is alive and well with the Braves.

At this time last year, we might have had doubts that Indian River truly believed they could win the big one. They proved those doubts wrong last year. With Chris Scott at the helm, there should be no doubt that the Tigers believe they can win here. Now it comes down to execution.

Practice this week will be intense. Game day will register 100 on the hype meter. The countdown is on for this week’s most anticipated game of the season. Don’t let your intensity peak too early. It’s not Saturday yet.

– Andy Hilton
Is the game at the sportscomplex? I may have to jump on 64E

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT