ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Smith vs Westfield

Who will the 2015 State Title

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I actually like Westfield. A team that's played stingy defense all year and has slowly built up a really good offense. They flew under the radar for a while, but I like them to win this by a little.

Three weeks ago after the South Lakes game I would have said Westfield would have no chance if they made it through to Charlottesville.

I don’t know if Lake Braddock and South County were overrated or what but Westfield played two of their best games of the season in all phases of the game - offense, defense and special teams - in the regional semis and finals. The way they dominated - particularly in the second half - was very impressive. They allowed one TD in each game (and the one in the South County game had starters on the sidelines) against teams that were both averaging 41 points per game.

They are coming into this game with some serious momentum. But I haven’t seen Oscar Smith play so I figure it’s a coin toss.

I don't know who too pick yet still watching some Westfield clips from YouTube just watched the game vs SoCo they dominated them badly running up their gut. All I know is that Westfield coach doesn't fear any team from the 757 since he was the D-Coordinator when they beat Landstown 03 and Oscar Smith 07 he didn't shut down smith in that game but they kept them out of the end zone scored 21pts ? Team had 4 D-1 WRs and D-1 Qb so he's seen best of Smith. I just hope this game comes down to a FG or last min TD I want to see a great game! of course I'll be rooting for Smith 757 team and bc Westfield beat us Landstown in state title back in 03 lol

After watching Westfield the past two weekends, I do not see them losing to Oscar Smith on Saturday. Lake Braddock and South County were among the highest scoring teams in 6A, and the way Westfield pretty much shut them down holding both teams to single digits was surprising. Their defense has had quite a few highlights the last two weeks with a fourth and goal stop from the two yard line against South County and four first half interceptions against Lake Braddock. They came pretty close to pitching the shut out against South County, overall their defense has been playing at a high level.

Westfield is what I expected them to look on offense, not very explosive, but well-balanced. I think a lot of that has to with the type of offense that they run as well as their coaching and crisp play calling. The offensive line has good size and they have blocked really well for the RB the last two weeks, especially against South County as he ran for 250 yards. I think everybody in the stands was impressed with the Westfield kicker last Saturday with all of the touchbacks and the field goals that he made, including the 49-yarder. He is a weapon so special teams could be an advantage for Westfield.

Just some thoughts about the previous two games out of Westfield, but as far the game against Oscar Smith, I think it will be a low-scoring game with a lot of defense. I think Oscar Smith will physically be a tougher match-up for Westfield. The one thing I will say about Westfield is that their offense does not seem to be the type that is built to come back if they get down by several scores.

Westfield 17
Oscar Smith 13

We've been underdogs all year nothing new to us. As long ad we believe in us that's all that matters. Oscar Smith "we all we got"

How can OS be an underdog? They are nationally ranked!! Funny how these two teams don't have a bunch of highly recruited players like the last two championships. Bunch of hard nosed well coached football players. I'm a Cville fan so always don't pull for WF but OS did silence the almighty team in OL. Need to go with WF on this one.

We've been underdogs all year nothing new to us. As long ad we believe in us that's all that matters. Oscar Smith "we all we got"

"been underdogs all year"

Yeah right. Does that include Lakeland and Deep Creek?? Whata joke.

No that includes Namesmond River, Indian River, Western Branch, Grass Field, and Ocean Lakes.

Last time I checked smith was only a underdog vs IR and OL look how that turned out

BabyD is correct! I think Smith may have been underdogs to only Indian River and Ocean Lakes.. Only to those outside the program though, I think Coach Morgan and his players expected to compete and win all their games.

Now if you said, Oscar Smith had been counted out moving this far into the playoffs you'd have a legitimate argument. I really don't think many people thought Smith would be playing for a State Title with the players they lost and their youth!

That's the genius of Coach Morgan however! He just seems to get the most out of his players.

Washington Post user poll on their website has Westfield slightly favored at 52% to 48% for Oscar Smith. Not a huge underdog in this game, at least not like they were heading into the Ocean Lakes game.

washington post was correct Westfield barley won this game, Grusky T this was not the defensive battle low scoring game we thought it would be like back in 2007 lol both were great games

The extra overtime periods really helped to inflate the scoring since it was 28-28 at end of regulation. Still more points score than I thought there would be from both teams in the four quarters. Starting from the 10 yard line in OT makes it too easy for teams to score and before you know it three or four touchdowns have been scored, I think they should push it back five more yards at the least.

Reactions: babY_d757
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT