ADVERTISEMENT

Oscar Smith?

May 29, 2001
One question I have: Is Smith any different offensively with Dee than it was with Morgan? I been reading Bill Dee was employing "old school" football, but from what I remember, Phoebus was a run-happy team with he at the helm, even with Tajh Boyd under center.

Smith looking vulnerable right now, or was DeMatha just that good?

One question I have: Is Smith any different offensively with Dee than it was with Morgan? I been reading Bill Dee was employing "old school" football, but from what I remember, Phoebus was a run-happy team with he at the helm, even with Tajh Boyd under center.

Smith looking vulnerable right now, or was DeMatha just that good?
DeMatha was just that good. Their defensive line featured an Ohio State commit and a pair of four-star junior d-tackles.

The Tigers looked a bit different offensively, in part because of the team the were playing but the offense still moved the ball down the field fairly well. Just left a couple touchdowns on the field or else it would've been closer.

Imagine they will put forth a better showing at Nansemond River and through Southeastern District play.

Let's face it, DeMatha is way too good for any Virginia teams. Some Northern Virginia teams used to play DeMatha during regular season years ago, and they were exciting games, you couldn't help rooting for the Virginia team. Gar-Field used to play DeMatha and did beat them once, that was back in 1980s. Centreville played DeMatha twice (?) in late 1980s or early 1990s and lost both times. Today, probably because of the point system, the Northern Virginia teams have stopped playing DeMatha on a regular basis.

You saw what Gonzaga did to Centreville two years ago.

Needless to say, DeMatha is also a national basketball power.

Given Oscar Smith's previous record against out-of-state powers, was anyone really expecting this to be competitive?

The arms race in WCAC football has picked up over the last decade and any of the top teams in that league would be at least three-touchdown favorites over any VHSL team.

Let's face it, DeMatha is way too good for any Virginia teams. Some Northern Virginia teams used to play DeMatha during regular season years ago, and they were exciting games, you couldn't help rooting for the Virginia team. Gar-Field used to play DeMatha and did beat them once, that was back in 1980s. Centreville played DeMatha twice (?) in late 1980s or early 1990s and lost both times. Today, probably because of the point system, the Northern Virginia teams have stopped playing DeMatha on a regular basis.

You saw what Gonzaga did to Centreville two years ago.

Needless to say, DeMatha is also a national basketball power.

DeMatha is a great program as we all know but I wouldn't go as far to say that they are way too good for VA Teams. I remember a couple of years or so ago Phoebus nearly knocked off DeMatha in a hard fought 24-20 game at the Va Beach Sportsplex.

Seeing these Oscar Smith scores is reminiscent to me of how Phoebus was when the Phantoms mastered then-Division 5. Defense, defense, defense. Dee instilling that same "wall" at Oscar Smith?

Seeing these Oscar Smith scores is reminiscent to me of how Phoebus was when the Phantoms mastered then-Division 5. Defense, defense, defense. Dee instilling that same "wall" at Oscar Smith?

I'm a Smith homer, no doubts about that. Other's might agree, some not, but since I started following the Tigers in 2011, this could be the best defense since that time.

Their offense definitely is not as efficient as 2015. The timing in their passing game just isn't there. I think the CLUB, summer 7 on 7 league vs the team version is having a detrimental effect in that regard. In addition, their All State receiver has been sitting out games to this point. With just slight improvements in their passing (several dropped balls each game) & run game, they look unstoppable.

Any update on the status of Larry Chapel? He has yet to dress for a game & he definitely could open up the passing game for the upcoming playoffs.

Think he is ineligible due to grades. It's a shame but it is a life lesson for young man academics 1st sports 2nd.

Looks like Smith has polished their passing game. The past several weeks, Shon Mitchell seems to know the holes in the defenses & has confidence that the receivers will be in the right places.

Grassfield has the size and talent to compete with and beat any 757 team. Mitchell was the difference last night.

I won't be surprised if these 2 meet late in the regionals!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT