ADVERTISEMENT

Pep Bands. way to go VHSL

JoelzDad

VaPreps All District
Feb 14, 2002
Planning on taking the pep band to our state tourney game (Lancaster) on Friday night. Was told by VHSL "upper" leadership, that it has been a long standing interpretation that pep bands only play Pregame, half and post game.
The NFHS clearly states in their guidelines (which the VHSL adheres to) that spirit groups (cheer, pep bands, etc) Can play during "non-injury" timeouts, 60 second timeouts, as well as pre, half and postgame.
So because of the wonderful "upper" leadership of the VHSL- we will not take the pep band. whats the point?
The issue is, why are their printed guidelines and written out rules- when the VHSL "upper" leadership is going to make up their own rules.

Just unfortunate for the students, team, and school spirit.

What other state tourney teams will be using a pep band in their games?
We've taken our pep band to the state tourney at least 4 times in the past- and NEVER was told not to play during time outs.
seems like some individual is making up their own rules because they are now in the leadership position.

Anyway....GO DEVILS!!!!!!! Still gonna fill the bleachers with fans!!!

Planning on taking the pep band to our state tourney game (Lancaster) on Friday night. Was told by VHSL "upper" leadership, that it has been a long standing interpretation that pep bands only play Pregame, half and post game.
The NFHS clearly states in their guidelines (which the VHSL adheres to) that spirit groups (cheer, pep bands, etc) Can play during "non-injury" timeouts, 60 second timeouts, as well as pre, half and postgame.
So because of the wonderful "upper" leadership of the VHSL- we will not take the pep band. whats the point?
The issue is, why are their printed guidelines and written out rules- when the VHSL "upper" leadership is going to make up their own rules.

Just unfortunate for the students, team, and school spirit.

What other state tourney teams will be using a pep band in their games?
We've taken our pep band to the state tourney at least 4 times in the past- and NEVER was told not to play during time outs.
seems like some individual is making up their own rules because they are now in the leadership position.

Anyway....GO DEVILS!!!!!!! Still gonna fill the bleachers with fans!!!

Or maybe it's because they are sore losers and their team is not in it anymore.................

Nothing against you or your pep band which I'm sure is a group of fine musicians, but I believe the number of people who go to a high school basketball game in these parts with the hope of hearing a pep band are in the vast minority. Plus all that space can be used to sell tickets.

Nothing against you or your pep band which I'm sure is a group of fine musicians, but I believe the number of people who go to a high school basketball game in these parts with the hope of hearing a pep band are in the vast minority. Plus all that space can be used to sell tickets.

Totally respect that opinion.

Is this the game @ W&L? Sounds like they're afraid the gym will sell out & they want that $$$$. There's ZERO backing this decision in the rules. I've seen pep bands at VCU for the championship games every year, playing during all timeouts.

Sucks that the Lancaster AD doesn't know the rules well enough to call BS.

Is this the game @ W&L? Sounds like they're afraid the gym will sell out & they want that $$$$. There's ZERO backing this decision in the rules. I've seen pep bands at VCU for the championship games every year, playing during all timeouts.

Sucks that the Lancaster AD doesn't know the rules well enough to call BS.

Not bashing our AD at all .
The problem is at the top of vhsl .

I'm just saying...the AD should be advocating for Lancaster, in this case, the pep band. Especially if VHSL is claiming a non-existent rule...

Not saying the AD is a bad person; just that your only hope is if the AD pushes back on the lie.

Reactions: gwb16
Interesting. It says right there on the on VHSL "Basketball Event Guide" that "Bands/Pep Bands are permitted to play except during times prohibited by NFHS Sports Rules."

Take the Pep Band to the game and rock out!

Sounds like the VHSL has no say here in that the rules are clear and established.

Great Pep Bands assist in creating a high energy winning atmosphere of excitement for the fans that can really boost a teams performance on the court.

Think VCU...think about any good college program...there is a reason coaches and their extended staffs invest so much time and money into creating energy and a fun atmosphere... sells tickets and helps win games.

This pep band's presence is not going to sell more tickets to this game Friday night.

That is true however the band would make it more fun and increase the energy level.

1) W&L and Lancaster do not get to keep the gate anyway so why not enjoy home advantages when possible.

2) Lancaster should roll Riverheads regardless if they are hyped or not (but let them enjoy giving the beatdown).

3) I'm not advocating for all 135 or whatever of the LHS band members to take spots but 15-20 Pep kids would be fine.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Have you even seen Riverheads play? Not to say that the Red Devils won't win and maybe they win big, but I can tell you this: Coach Coffey will have his team ready to play.

Something you need to know about the Gladiators:
1) they have beaten Rockbridge this year (broke Spotswood's 85 game district win streak and beat them at Spotswood) and 2) came within an in and out three of beating defending state champ Lee at Lee.

I can tell you that Coach Rice isn't just going into this weekend with the idea that his group will just coast by the 'Heads.

Pawfan as always adds something to ponder and good points. Pep band is a staple of programs in many areas. Greensville County is one I have seen many times. I doubt Wilson Memorial (host site) or the VHSL has said the Eagles can't bring their pep band to the Valley for their game against Lee.

Reactions: WP02alum
Have you even seen Riverheads play? Not to say that the Red Devils won't win and maybe they win big, but I can tell you this: Coach Coffey will have his team ready to play.

Something you need to know about the Gladiators:
1) they have beaten Rockbridge this year (broke Spotswood's 85 game district win streak and beat them at Spotswood) and 2) came within an in and out three of beating defending state champ Lee at Lee.

I can tell you that Coach Rice isn't just going into this weekend with the idea that his group will just coast by the 'Heads.

I am not a fan of Lancaster but expect them to win by over 10 points.

Yes, I agree that LHS Coach Rice will not let his team overlook Riverheads, hence the confidence in the prediction. If Riverheads plays great and wins or game is a close battle, I have no issue saying I was incorrect on this one.

I am a bit concerned about Eastside and their big kids (plus they seem be able to drop threes at will in the film I saw.)

This pep band's presence is not going to sell more tickets to this game Friday night.

While a practical thought from the VHSL perspective, this has nothing to do with the rules, so it doesn't mean much.

Rules exist to answer these questions. CLEARLY, VHSL thinks a pep band will take away from their $$$ due to the small gym. Tough. Find a bigger gym or deal.

Lancaster AD should be leading the charge.

Who is the game administrator for VHSL games at these early round "neutral" sites? W&L AD? Lancaster AD? VHSL official?

That is the only person in charge of this decision. It literally is up to one person to officially make these type of determinations. Sounds like VHSL administers the game, but I'm not certain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT