ADVERTISEMENT

Photos - #2 Green Run 60, #3 Maury 55

matthew328826

Publisher of VirginiaPreps.com (Rivals Network)
Staff
Jul 20, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
matthewhatfield.com
The #2 seed Green Run Stallions outlasted the #3 seed Maury Commodores by a count of 60-55 in the Atlantic Conference 9 Tournament semifinals at Kellam High School on Saturday night in Virginia Beach.

See Josiah Turner's Game Recap here.

*** Check out Caroline Weaver's Facebook Photo Gallery at the link below... ***

See Caroline Weaver's Photos on Facebook Here

Re: 5A looks like the best division in the state again

5A is loaded, especially with teams like Norview who just beat Green Run. The south is tough and the north looks like they have some strong squads again too. 5A is definitely a lot deeper than 6A again. If you matched up both top tens against each other, 5A would come out on top. I can't believe Jack Baker and Maury are done now. I don't understand why the south only sends 8 teams to regionals.

Re: 5A looks like the best division in the state again

Agree with you that 5A is the best division in the state, hands down. We had a number of teams hover right around the #10 spot and outside the Top 10 at season's end with near the 20-win mark with Green Run, Halifax County, Stone Bridge (which is 22-2 and #9 with 22 straight wins), Meadowbrook and Matoaca.

I'd be in favor with a 12-team bracket in 5A-South similar to the one they have in 5A-North. That way you'd have...

Top 4 from Conference 9 with Norview, Green Run, Maury and Kellam.
Top 3 from Conference 11 with Henrico, Deep Run and Highland Springs.
Top 3 from Conference 12 with L.C. Bird, Matoaca and Meadowbrook.
Top 2 from Conference 10 with Hampton and Indian River/Warwick/Menchville.

Actually thought Menchville was 2nd best in PenSouth Conference, but got the bad break of having to see Hampton in semis.

I'm also not a fan of having it broken up into Tidewater and Richmond. Do a bracket where you get the best 8, 12 or 16 teams, whatever it is, and that way you send your 2 true best teams on to State's,

Lot of people think last year the 2 best were from Tidewater in 5A-South with Maury and Green Run. Many believe the 2 best this year are in Richmond with Henrico and L.C. Bird. But unfortunately with the way it is set up now, you HAVE to get 1 from each area (Tidewater and Richmond).

Follow Hatfield Sports on Twitter

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT