ADVERTISEMENT

Player not in book

gymrat10

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Dec 21, 2004
We've talked about this happening in high school, especially lower levels with student book keepers and jersey number changes. Never thought it would happen in a major college game, but last night Purdue was assessed a T after a player participated for several minutes before book noticed he was not listed. Horn was sounded (not inadvertently this time) and officials notified and technical called. You know some manager or assistant coach got a butt chewin.

Some coach should have gotten a butt chewing.
3dsmile.gif

It could have been adverted...

...by the refs, but not necessarily. Let's say Purdue has 12 guys warming up when ref is counting players and also checks that 12 names and numbers are listed in the book and signs off on it. Suppose Purdue normally has 13 players, but in this game #10 (Smith) is injured and in street clothes on the bench. An assistant coach or manager assigned with getting the lineup in the book is copying from last game when Smith played and lists him but mistakenly leaves off #5 (Jones). The ref has no knowledge of which players are which (and is not supposed to) and simply sees 12 listed and 12 warming up. All players are in warmups with no numbers showing and even if ref could see numbers, he doesn't go that far checking the book. Games gets started and sometime during, #5 comes in game. Game is stopped, #5 has to be added to book, T on Purdue. Not the officials responsibility for this infraction.

Re: It could have been adverted...

If the head official "catches" the mistake as he is checking the book BEFORE game starts, can a player that has been left off the book by the visiting team be added without incurring a technical?

Re: It could have been adverted...

I think once official checks book, no one can be added. I saw this happen recently, and player was told he'd be ineligable for the game.

By rule, no changes are to be made...

...(without penalty) after the 10 minute mark on warmup clock. This is left up to the discretion of the referee though and most, although not all, will allow that player to be added BEFORE he signs off, even if it's below 10 min.

Ineligible, no

he wouldn't be, it would just cost his team a T when he came in the game and had to be added to the book.

Re: Ineligible, no

No, the official noticed the omission before he signed the book. He'd counted the players and noticed that there were 12 warming up but only 11 on the book - which was filled in by the other team's scorekeeper.

DMSpartan

if you are still looking for an answer, yes, the referee could allow the visiting team to add the 12th player, BEFORE he signs off. As I said, most officials would allow this to avoid beginning the game with a Technical. Matter of fact, as I'm sure you have seen, a lot of refs come to the table in advance of the 10 minute mark for that very reason.

Re: DMSpartan

Yes I have. I even had some officials the other night allow me to warn the players about dunking in warmups before they - the officials - came out on the floor. (I had gone to the officials room to tell them the clock was running with 13:08 on it as we had had SENIOR NIGHT and introduced all the senior athletes of our winter sports.)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT