ADVERTISEMENT

Playoff Pick'em

falcettik

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 3, 2004
Ok, let's have some fun with this year's playoffs, at least up here in the NOVA area. I will run a weekly playoff pick'em contest among the 16 teams in Region C and Region D, with the contest running through the State Semifinal round on 2 Dec 17. That is a total of 15 games. If it is tied at the end of the contest the winner will be determined by whomever comes closest to the points scored by the winning team in the State Semifinal.

To make it a bit more interesting I have come up with a spread. This is something I derived by comparing each teams points for and points allowed, then adding in a "fudge factor" based on the difficulty of each team's regular season schedule. There is no scientific formula. I did not use anyone's process. It is strictly what I think; whether or not you agree or disagree is immaterial, as this is for fun. But that is what we will go with for this contest.

In case you want to know, I get to play too. Predictions must be posted by 7:00 pm on game day. In the event that all the games are not played on the same day, predictions must be in NLT the start of the first game for that week of the playoffs.

Winner gets nothing but the satisfaction of being a bit better at guessing the outcome of a bunch of high school football games. Good luck!

Week 1

Region D
Battlefield at Westfield (-7)
Yorktown at South Lakes (-27)
Madison at Centreville (-6)
Patriot (-10) at Marshall

Region C
South County at Freedom (PW) (-24)
Mount Vernon at Woodbridge (-7)
TC Williams at Lake Braddock (-6)
CD Hylton (-13) at Hayfield

Reactions: otnorot
Region D
Westfield (-7)
South Lakes (-27)
Madison (+6)
Patriot (-10)

Region C
Freedom (PW) (-24)
Woodbridge (-7)
Lake Braddock (-6)
CD Hylton (-13)

Against the spread:

Westfield wins and covers
South Lakes wins but does not cover
Centerville wins and covers
Patriot wins and covers by a lot
Freedom wins but does not cover
Mount Vernon wins
TC Williams wins
CD Hylton wins but does not cover

Friday is going to be cold and I think it affects some scores.

Westfield wins and covers.
South Lakes wins, doesn't cover.
Centreville wins and covers.
Patriot wins and covers. (Worst matchup potentially)
Freedom wins, doesn't cover.
Woodbridge wins and covers.
Lake Braddock wins and covers.
Hylton wins and covers

Westfield
South Lakes
Madison
Patriot

Freedom (PW)
Woodbridge
Lake Braddock
CD Hylton

Westfield
South Lakes
Centreville
Patriot

South County (probably loses, but covers)
Woodbridge
Lake Braddock
CD Hylton

Westfield
South Lakes
Centreville
Patriot
Freedom (PW)
Woodbridge
Lake Braddock
CD Hylton

Westfield
South Lakes
Centreville
Patriot
Freedom (PW)
Woodbridge
Lake Braddock
C.D. Hylton

You guys were right about Patriot and Marshall. Terrible matchup. It looked like a Varsity squad against a JV squad. Huge difference in size and speed.

I left when it was 60-7.

The James Madison team that played Westfield showed up tonite along with a lot more Warhawk supporters than the Centreville's 12th Man in Chicago-like weather. Everything you would expect from a great match up, Madison's defense was really on this time except of a few plays. (e.g. first Cville touchdown)

Final James Madison 22 Centreville 15

Near the end of the game the Warhawk's had a choice with 4th and 6 at Centreville 30 yard line...1) a field goal attempt at the bitter edge of David Louden's range or 2) go for the first down. Patrick Berry passed to John Finney II for a touchdown with 25 seconds left.

Freedom beat South County 48-12. It was 21-12 with three minutes left in the third quarter, then SoCo self-destructed and Freedom scored four touchdowns in about five minutes to bring on the running clock. Stallions were able to force Felton into three turnovers (two fumbles and an interception), but five turnovers of their own, plus numerous penalties and short punts doomed their upset bid.

Battlefield v. Westfield score was about what I had expected.

As for the Hylton @ Hayfield game-

Hylton fumbled on the second play of the game and Hayfield drove down the field on the following possession for the first score, but the game went mostly in favor of Hylton the rest of the way as they took a 34-7 lead into halftime. Several turnovers by Hayfield had given Hylton opportunities with the ball, and they were able to take advantage by riding a solid ground attack on offense that helped them to the win overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT