ADVERTISEMENT

Possible location for Class 6 State Championship game?

MascotMemorizer

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 30, 2007
Any possible suggested locations for the Class 5 and 6 State Championship football games?

Why move it?! ODU does a great job. It really shouldn’t matter where a game is played.
Because it is the stadium location furthest removed from at least one of the two teams in the state final (the 6C/6D team at a minimum... if Freedom goes again, not much closer). That forces their fan base into a 3.5 hrs + trip... and for some an overnight stay.

To be fiscally mercenary VHSL would make more money if the game location encouraged higher attendance. Many other states have their championship games centrally located, Illinois (Bloomington), Indiana (Indianapolis), Ohio (Canton) for example.

Reactions: falcettik and wikki
Why move it?! ODU does a great job. It really shouldn’t matter where a game is played.
It was in the minutes from the Jan 2023 Executive Committee meeting that ODU did not renew the contract.

"Football: Classes 5 & 6. ODU did not renew the contract for the 2023 year—the overlap between our football games and their MBB game spread them too thin with staffing. Parking was also tight because of the vicinity of the football stadium to the basketball arena. Staff are exploring facility use at UVA, JMU and Fairfax County plans to put in a bid to host Class 6 at one of their schools. There was a discussion as to listing hotel criteria for state bids. Distance from the venue is a concern."

Because it is the stadium location furthest removed from at least one of the two teams in the state final (the 6C/6D team at a minimum... if Freedom goes again, not much closer). That forces their fan base into a 3.5 hrs + trip... and for some an overnight stay.

To be fiscally mercenary VHSL would make more money if the game location encouraged higher attendance. Many other states have their championship games centrally located, Illinois (Bloomington), Indiana (Indianapolis), Ohio (Canton) for example.
You must be new to this, because VHSL doesn’t care how far fans have to travel. All VHSL cares about is which stadium charges them the least. The University of Virginia stadium is no longer an option. The University of Richmond is no longer an option. City stadium is no longer an option. That only leaves Blacksburg and ODU. They will not hold a state championship at a high school stadium. It is not much further from William and Mary to ODU. JMU is a 3 1/2 hour drive from anyone in the 757. JMU is typically still playing football and needs their stadium during that time. There is nowhere in Northern Virginia to go so I ask….where do you want to go?

Reactions: Agibbs757
It was in the minutes from the Jan 2023 Executive Committee meeting that ODU did not renew the contract.

"Football: Classes 5 & 6. ODU did not renew the contract for the 2023 year—the overlap between our football games and their MBB game spread them too thin with staffing. Parking was also tight because of the vicinity of the football stadium to the basketball arena. Staff are exploring facility use at UVA, JMU and Fairfax County plans to put in a bid to host Class 6 at one of their schools. There was a discussion as to listing hotel criteria for state bids. Distance from the venue is a concern."
It’s just my opinion, but the stadium we had the state championship in in 2018 was perfect

Interesting the focus of VHSL is least expensive vs. net revenue...

...maybe someone should lobby Fairfax, Prince William, or Loudon Counties (or maybe the new ownership of the team formally known as... WFT) to expand one of the existing stadiums to be big enough to meet whatever the state championship criteria are. Or, when they build the next big high school (e.g., like when the planned Gainesville HS, missed opportunity).

Interestingly, Pennsylvania moved their state championships to Cumberland Valley High School from Hersheypark Stadium.

Last edited:
Interesting the focus of VHSL is least expensive vs. net revenue...

...maybe someone should lobby Fairfax, Prince William, or Loudon Counties (or maybe the new ownership of the team formally known as... WFT) to expand one of the existing stadiums to be big enough to meet whatever the state championship criteria are. Or, when the build the next big high school (e.g., like when the planned Gainesville HS, missed opportunity).

Interestingly, Pennsylvania moved their state championships to Cumberland Valley High School from Hersheypark Stadium.
Any thoughts on Segra field in Loudon county?! I know the school that I follow, Highland Springs, had their stadium built large enough to hold extremely large crowds due to their out of state scheduling.

Any thoughts on Segra field in Loudon county?! I know the school that I follow, Highland Springs, had their stadium built large enough to hold extremely large crowds due to their out of state scheduling.
You were spot on with your take on the VHSL and where to have championship games. Now understanding in C6 most there's schools are in the north which is tricky because of venues like really where unless JMU which maybe a scheduling conflicts even with them moving up and expect them to be playing on championship weekend. And class 5 TBH ODU makes sense because majority of that championship will 757 and can be a 804 team

Does anyone know actual attendance figures for state championship games? I don't think I've ever seen them published before.

JMU would never be hosting a home game on the second Saturday in December. Sun Belt title game is first weekend. Now maybe they don’t want to be displaced for a couple days during bowl prep, but it wouldn’t be due to a game conflict.

Although…college football playoff moves to 12 next year and maybe that weekend becomes a possibility. Although JMU hosting a CFP game that weekend seems like a long shot.

Please, never again at Hampton.

I thought the VHSL got it right with ODU. That was my favorite location so far for the championship games. The venue is nice and the drive really isn't that bad even if you're coming from NoVa. IMO Charlottesville, Richmond, Harrisonburg, or 757 is fine for NoVa teams as far as traveling goes. Blacksburg is a little too far.

Doing an overnight stay does make game day a little more enjoyable as a fan so the driving and everything isn't crammed into one day (especially if you're trying to catch the first title game).

Does anyone know actual attendance figures for state championship games? I don't think I've ever seen them published before.
According to the stat sheets that were printed up and distributed to the media at the Class 5 and Class 6 title games at ODU, here are those figures in terms of attendance:

Class 5 (Maury / Highland Springs) - 1487
Class 6 (Freedom / James Madison) - 763

According to the stat sheets that were printed up and distributed to the media at the Class 5 and Class 6 title games at ODU, here are those figures in terms of attendance:

dang they can go anywhere with those figures
NSU
Hampton
W&M
UR

Last edited:
The problem the VHSL faces when using smaller venues is not attendance. It's the lack of available locker room space (teams and officials) media areas, and other necessary amenities (internet access....). There is no way a regular high school field could handle the media spots needed for radio, video, newspapers, tv....... @EPJr you may know the exact number, but I believe there was at least five radio and two video teams broadcasting in Lynchburg last year. I guess the VHSL could use two different venues for Class 5 and 6, but the facility would need to meet the concerns noted above.

NSU
Hampton
W&M
UR
NSU definitely no with parking hell it's bad enough parking for their own events.
Hampton was ok just the concessions sucked and bathrooms available.
W&M idk doubt it
And UR big doubts it for what I've heard

NSU definitely no with parking hell it's bad enough parking for their own events.
Hampton was ok just the concessions sucked and bathrooms available.
W&M idk doubt it
And UR big doubts it for what I've heard
UR gave them a big no a long time ago and city stadium is for soccer only now

Reactions: Agibbs757
UR gave them a big no a long time ago and city stadium is for soccer only now
Yeah I remember on a podcast yall AD said Richmond was definitely not gonna happen but I feel the spots are good were they are at. I wish the VHSL could place all of them in the same spot for for a super championship weekend have all college recruiters in one spot for the kids maybe find the hidden gem. But that there would be a logistical nightmare unless they opened up playing on Sundays.

You must be new to this, because VHSL doesn’t care how far fans have to travel. All VHSL cares about is which stadium charges them the least. The University of Virginia stadium is no longer an option. The University of Richmond is no longer an option. City stadium is no longer an option. That only leaves Blacksburg and ODU. They will not hold a state championship at a high school stadium. It is not much further from William and Mary to ODU. JMU is a 3 1/2 hour drive from anyone in the 757. JMU is typically still playing football and needs their stadium during that time. There is nowhere in Northern Virginia to go so I ask….where do you want to go?
They do when they don’t make the money

They do when they don’t make the money
They DO make money by NOT spending too much on the venue! There ISN’T a better available place to play. Get in your freaking cars and go support your team! I can promise you,OUR FANS will go wherever the team plays!

Reactions: edwinanderson2nd
Yeah I remember on a podcast yall AD said Richmond was definitely not gonna happen but I feel the spots are good were they are at. I wish the VHSL could place all of them in the same spot for for a super championship weekend have all college recruiters in one spot for the kids maybe find the hidden gem. But that there would be a logistical nightmare unless they opened up playing on Sundays.
You could have three games Friday and three games Saturday. 12, 4 and 8 each day. $20 a ticket each day for all the football you want to watch. But this is the VHSL we're looking at. A leader in ineptitude.

This is why I'm not a fan of UVA hosting. It looks terrible with zero atmosphere when you have that few people.

For Class 6, they could have had it at George Marshall. That's a pretty big high school stadium. And for Class 5, why don't they have it at Oscar Smith? That's a big stadium as well.

For me, I've never cared for the vibes of natural site games. Only a handful of games standout where it has been awesome at one of the VHSL state title sites. But when you have a ton of empty seats, that sucks away the potential atmosphere.

Since the VHSL does a lousy job running the state championship events, why don't they have some neutral sites in mind, and then select the host for each Class the Sunday after the state semifinals and come up with a location suitable for each game.

They should have hotels in mind and keep rooms on hold. Two hotels per site. If they don't need the rooms, they call the hotels to release them. That would take planning though and this is the VHSL we're talking about.

It's not like they have a lot of staff working the sites they already use now. And they certainly aren't worried with making sure there are ample concession stands for patrons. But at least it can restore the atmosphere and excitement of the sport if you had it at a high school stadium.

What was the issue with Hampton U? Stadium size?

More than anything I consider the overall appearance of a stadium. I think the players, coaches, and fans of a championship team deserve to play at a location that looks nice, has spacious seating, and actually feels like a college or professional venue. Locations like ODU, UVA, JMU, or UR checks this box for me. Hampton does not and it just isn't an attractive looking venue. It definitely felt like a downgrade from UVA. Stadium is too small. Cramped walkways and seating is too low with not that great of a view of the field (I've always preferred sitting a little higher up). Concessions and bathrooms were not good.

I thought the same way about city stadium in Richmond when the title games were held there but that place at least has seating that is more open.

As far as atmosphere in a larger stadium, I think this comes down to the schools. Some teams have a smaller or more laid-back fan base. Other schools (like in NOVA) bring the student sections that add to the atmosphere. I don't think larger venues take away the atmosphere that much as long as fans are willing to make some noise and schools bring the bands. IIRC Madison didn't even bring a band last year to ODU.

Just some of my own preferences but I think the title games should always be held in a nice looking and modernized venue which is why I liked ODU. I know in Georgia all of the title games are held at Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta across three days. So, we need to have some standard in VA lol.

Lake Braddock, Westfield, South County, Robinson or Centreville could probably handle it. If one of them holds it then it will probably be South County or Braddock. Freedom Woodbridge hosted the state championship between Oakton and Osbourn years back. Northern va will get their way and it will be out of the 757.

Lake Braddock, Westfield, South County, Robinson or Centreville could probably handle it. If one of them holds it then it will probably be South County or Braddock. Freedom Woodbridge hosted the state championship between Oakton and Osbourn years back. Northern va will get their way and it will be out of the 757.
VHSL WILL NOT LET A HIGH SCHOOL FIELD HOST THE FOOTBALL STATE FINALS! The kids in the state finals deserve to play on a college field. 757 runs high school football in VA. Always has, and always will!!! I’m an 804 guy, but until NOVA gets a college stadium to hold the state finals,they don’t deserve to hold it! Maybe someone at NOVA can put up the money to get it back in Charlottesville! Better yet…maybe someone can finally afford to put the games at University of Richmond(Central for everyone)in their new stadium.

This is why I'm not a fan of UVA hosting. It looks terrible with zero atmosphere when you have that few people.

For Class 6, they could have had it at George Marshall. That's a pretty big high school stadium. And for Class 5, why don't they have it at Oscar Smith? That's a big stadium as well.

For me, I've never cared for the vibes of natural site games. Only a handful of games standout where it has been awesome at one of the VHSL state title sites. But when you have a ton of empty seats, that sucks away the potential atmosphere.

Since the VHSL does a lousy job running the state championship events, why don't they have some neutral sites in mind, and then select the host for each Class the Sunday after the state semifinals and come up with a location suitable for each game.

They should have hotels in mind and keep rooms on hold. Two hotels per site. If they don't need the rooms, they call the hotels to release them. That would take planning though and this is the VHSL we're talking about.

It's not like they have a lot of staff working the sites they already use now. And they certainly aren't worried with making sure there are ample concession stands for patrons. But at least it can restore the atmosphere and excitement of the sport if you had it at a high school stadium.
You do not hold a high school state finals in a high school stadium! Just because Northern Virginia won’t put the money together to put a college stadium together,It’s not the rest of the state problem. You know how you get people back to the stadiums?! you stop putting the game on the Internet!!! Stop podcasting it!

Reactions: OCBoy
University of Richmond is essentially a HS stadium. Track around the field. Tiny capacity.

University of Richmond is essentially a HS stadium. Track around the field. Tiny capacity.
It’s still a COLLEGE stadium that holds 10,000 people. Big difference is, they don’t want the high school “trouble” there. It’s hard to access too. They are not an option. Randolph Macon is too small. City stadium is no longer an option. VHSL has stated many times, they are NOT holding the state championship in a HIGH SCHOOL stadium. I have no problem with Hovey field at Virginia Union, but I think that is still too small. I have never been to the stadium at Virginia state university. It has been years, but I have not been to city Stadium in Hopewell in years. Maybe sports backers will build a stadium fit for a state championship behind the diamond

You do not hold a high school state finals in a high school stadium! Just because Northern Virginia won’t put the money together to put a college stadium together,It’s not the rest of the state problem. You know how you get people back to the stadiums?! you stop putting the game on the Internet!!! Stop podcasting it!
It was perfectly fine for many years prior to 1998. And that was when regions alternated hosting. But hey..if you want 1,500 people at a 60,000 Scott Stadium where there will be zero atmosphere, then that's your taste. And please name me the schools that can put a college stadium together in Northern Virginia. George Mason doesn't have football. I don't know Shenandoah's stadium situation. But the D6 people would complain if they had to go out there as that would be "beneath them".Bridgewater which hosted some finals in 1998 hasn't been used in some time. But that's away from D6 territory. So what are your solutions? U of R would be nice for a neutral site venue, but their parking situation sucks.

Reactions: OCBoy
Even the great power football state of Pennsylvania hosts their state championships at at high school stadium... Cumberland Valley HS's Chapman Field with a capacity of 8,000. So, that isn't a stadium, it is a STADIUM in terms of size (and available parking... bigger issue with all the schools mentioned in NoVa)

Last edited:
VHSL WILL NOT LET A HIGH SCHOOL FIELD HOST THE FOOTBALL STATE FINALS! The kids in the state finals deserve to play on a college field. 757 runs high school football in VA. Always has, and always will!!! I’m an 804 guy, but until NOVA gets a college stadium to hold the state finals,they don’t deserve to hold it! Maybe someone at NOVA can put up the money to get it back in Charlottesville! Better yet…maybe someone can finally afford to put the games at University of Richmond(Central for everyone)in their new stadium.
Money talks and it isn’t in the 757

I think that was Oakton & Hilton in 2002 (Hilton 6, Oakton 0)

Reactions: springer76
Highland Springs played Annandale in 1978 in a huge State Title game at W. T. Woodson High School. both teams were 13-0. Annandale won 14-13 and was crowned NATIONAL CHAMPION! Highland Springs finished ranked #13 Nationally. Over 15,000 people attended and broke and attendance record that still stands today! Note: Highland Springs missed 2 field goals and an extra point.

It was definitely Osbourn because they won the championship that year (2006) over Chantilly (not Oakton). The game was initially suppose to be played in the 757 and it got moved to Freedom Woodbridge.

Reactions: otnorot
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT