ADVERTISEMENT

Region 5C

Jul 27, 2016
Tier 1

1. HSHS (5-0) got a huge win last week v. Martinsburg. Will be 9-0 going into Varina Game. Nobody can beat HSHS in region 5C and it is not close. QB Martin has taken steps and the speed and talent on the perimeter and on the defense is scary. Greene, Johnson's kids and Heath have been very impressive.

Tier 2

2. Hermitage (2-2) has 2 wins against lesser competition and was blown out by Dale and loss a hard fought game v. Varina. Herm plays the biggest game in 5C this week as they host Glen Allen tonight. I have Hermitage as #2 but I expect tonight's game to be a close game and would not be surprised if GA wins. Hermitage can't just depend on Coney and run game.

3. Midlothian (3-0) beat LC Bird in a very tough game. I was impressed with Midlothian's toughness and ability to run the ball on a very solid Bird D. Midlothian is going to be a tough game for everyone in 5C not coached by Loren Johnson. I expect Midlothian to be 6-0 when they play Manchester.

4. Douglas Freeman (4-0) is a really well coached football team and they have looked good. The issue with Freeman every year is that they have one of the easiest schedules year in year out. Freeman only plays 3 teams that have the ability to challenge them. I expect Godwin to play them tough tonight, but doubt Freeman could lose this game. DF plays physical and DE Abbey is a man amongst boys.

5. Glen Allen (1-2) has played as tough of a local schedule as anyone in 5C. Tough loss week 1 to a solid Matoaca team, lost to a loaded Varina team and came up with a big win at PH last Friday. It does not get any easier for the Jags tonight when they travel to Herm in a huge game for playoff ramifications. I could see GA winning tonight.

6. LC Bird (2-1) hung around with Midlothian last Friday but you never really felt like they had enough offense to beat Midlothian. Bird is talented and a lot better than they have been the last two years, but they are missing their swag...and a QB. Skyhawks play a young and improved Cosby team tonight in what should be a relatively close game. Bird should be too big and fast for Cosby.

Tier 3

7. Mills Godwin (2-2) lost to a very solid Hanover team last week. MG has been up and down some with wins over Kecoughtan and Atlee but getting blown out by PH. PJ Adams has made MG competitive but they do not have the athletes or experience of the Top 6. Big game tonight v. Freeman, will be interesting how this game plays out.

Tier 4

8. Meadowbrook (1-3) has played some really good teams in Hermitage and Thomas Dale. They beat Tucker in what I am using as the tiebreaker for the last playoff spot. Meadowbrook has some nice skill players and they have 3 winnable games the next 3 weeks. Tonight is a must win v. PG. Big drop-off between the top 7 and the bottom of Region 5C.

9. JR Tucker (2-2) can make an argument that they should be 3-1, but they very easily could be 0-4. The got a badly needed win v. Deep run last night, but the loss v. Meadowbrook might come back to hurt Coach Sims and his team. Other than TJ and Mills Godwin, Tucker does not have very many winnable games left on their schedule. They will need to win 1 of those games to get in position to make playoffs.

10. Clover Hill (0-3) is really struggling offensively with 6 pts combined in 3 games. I do think they have some good individual talent but the Offensive and Defensive schemes are just not working for Coach Jennings. Clover Hill should beat Huguenot tonight, but they will need to beat either James River or Monacan to get into playoff contention.

11. Deep Run (1-4) has FF win v. Mechanicsville but is really in a tough spot after losing to Tucker last night. Deep Run only has 1 or maybe 2 winnable games left on their schedule. Going to be a uphill battle to get into playoff contention.

12. Prince George (0-3) has been outscored 50 to 2 in the 3 games but they have played against the top 3-4 teams in Region 5C. Tonight is probably the only winnable game on their schedule. Going to be a long year PG.

Last edited:
Tier 1

1. HSHS (5-0) Huge win last week v. Martinsburg. Will be 9-0 going into Varina Game. Nobody can beat HSHS in region 5C and it is not close. QB Martin has taken steps and the speed and talent on the perimeter and on the defense is scary. Greene, Johnson's kids and Heath have been very impressive.

Tier 2

2. Hermitage (2-2) has 2 wins against lesser competition and was blown out by Dale and loss a hard fought game v. Varina. Herm plays the biggest game in 5C this week as they host Glen Allen tonight. I have Hermitage as #2 but I expect tonight's game to be a close game and would not be surprised if GA wins. Hermitage can't just depend on Coney and run game.

3. Midlothian (3-0) beat LC Bird in a very tough game. I was impressed with Midlothian's toughness and ability to run the ball on a very solid Bird D. Midlothian is going to be a tough game for everyone in 5C not coached by Loren Johnson. I expect Midlothian to be 5-0 when the play Manchester.

4. Douglas Freeman (4-0) is a really well coached football team and they have looked good. The issue with Freeman every year is that the have one of the easiest schedules year in year out. Freeman only plays 3 teams that have the ability to challenge them. I expect Godwin to play them tough tonight, but doubt Freeman could lose this game. DF plays physical and DE Abbey is a man amongst boys.

5. Glen Allen (1-2) has played as tough of a local schedule as anyone in 5C. Tough loss week 1 to a solid Matoaca team, lost to a loaded Varina team and came up with a big win at PH last friday. It does not get any easier for the Jags tonight when they travel to Herm in a huge game for playoff ramifications. I could see GA winning tonight.

6. LC Bird (2-1) hung around with Midlothian last Friday but you never really felt like they had enough offense to beat Midlothian. Bird is talented and a lot better than they have been the last two years, but they are missing their swag...and a QB. Skyhawks play a young and improved Cosby team tonight in what should be a relatively close game. Bird should be too big and fast for Cosby.

Tier 3

7. Mills Godwin (2-2) lost to a very solid Hanover team last week. MG has been up and down some with wins over Kecoughtan and Atlee but getting blown out by PH. PJ Adams has made MG competitive but they do not have the athletes or experience of the Top 6. Big game tonight v. Freeman, will be interesting how this game plays out.

Tier 4

8. Meadowbrook (1-3) has played some really good teams in Hermitage and Thomas Dale. They beat Tucker in what I am using as the tiebreaker for the last playoff spot. Meadowbrook has some nice skill players and they have 3 winnable games the next 3 weeks. Tonight is a must win v. PG. Big drop-off between the top 7 and the bottom of Region 5C.

9. JR Tucker (2-2) can make a argument that they should be 3-1, but they very easily could be 0-4. The got a badly needed win v. Deep run last night, but the loss v. Meadowbrook might come back to hurt Coach Sims and his team. Other than TJ and Mills Godwin, Tucker does not have very many winnable games left on their schedule. They will need to win 1 of those games to get in position to make playoffs.

10. Clover Hill (0-3) is really struggling offensively with 6 pts combined in 3 games. I do think the have some good individual talent but the Offensive and Defensive scheme is just not working for Coach Jennings. Clover Hill should beat Huguenot tonight, but they will need to beat either James River or Monacan to get into playoff contention.

11. Deep Run (1-4) has FF win v. Mechanicsville but is really in a tough spot after losing to Tucker last night. Deep Run only has on or maybe 2 winnable games left on their schedule. Going to be a uphill battle to get into playoff contention.

12. Prince George (0-3) has been outscored 50 to 2 in the 3 games but they have played against the top 3-4 teams in Region 5C. Tonight is probably the only winnable game on their schedule. Going to be a long year PG.
Nicely put together and you really nailed all these teams.

Reactions: BJONESVAPREPS
Where do you think they will rank in that area
Not sure! Highland Springs will not be in this group next yr,so I’d say,it’s anyone’s to take.. I like Hermitage and William Fleming to be the front runners.

didn't Matoaca also get promoted to Class 5 and Patrick Henry get demoted from Class 6?

Would the Capital and Colonial district be better if Louisa and Albermarle joined them?

Isn’t matoaca under performing this year
I don’t think they’re underperforming. 2-10 are interchangeable on any given night. Nobody is beating Highland Springs,so now is just seeding to avoid them until the Region Finals.

I don’t think they’re underperforming. 2-10 are interchangeable on any given night. Nobody is beating Highland Springs,so now is just seeding to avoid them until the Region Finals.
Ok I don’t know anything about that area so now I have a little to go on thanks

Not sure! Highland Springs will not be in this group next yr,so I’d say,it’s anyone’s to take.. I like Hermitage and William Fleming to be the front runners.
Herm will lose a lot next year. They are very underwhelming with a very good senior leaden team this year. Many of these same kids started the last 2 years (many started during the spring season as sophomores). I expect them to be middle of the pack. Their whole JV staff left for Glen Allen and their numbers are down for the younger kids. Their program will mirror Henrico’s very soon.

Albermarle and Louisa to join the Capital or Colonial district.
The colonial is much closer to Louisa than the Capital. 2 of the Capital teams are by Richmond airport,over an hour away from Louisa. I’m not sure how close they are to Patrick Henry(Ashland),but that would be,by far,the closest of any of the capital teams. 90% of the colonial teams are in Henrico’s far west end,and seemingly a better “fit” for Louisa as far as location and travel. Most of those schools are “club house sports” dominated. They are not typically state wide contenders In football or basketball(except John Marshall),but major factors in everything else. I’m not sure how Louisa fits in with them,but once again…..I just don’t know. I know Powhatan just joined the dominion,but I’m not sure how close Louisa is to those schools either.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
The colonial is much closer to Louisa than the Capital. 2 of the Capital teams are by Richmond airport,over an hour away from Louisa. I’m not sure how close they are to Patrick Henry(Ashland),but that would be,by far,the closest of any of the capital teams. 90% of the colonial teams are in Henrico’s far west end,and seemingly a better “fit” for Louisa as far as location and travel. Most of those schools are “club house sports” dominated. They are not typically state wide contenders In football or basketball(except John Marshall),but major factors in everything else. I’m not sure how Louisa fits in with them,but once again…..I just don’t know. I know Powhatan just joined the dominion,but I’m not sure how close Louisa is to those schools either.
Geographically speaking Louisa should not be in the Capital or Colonial Districts. That would be like moving Dinwiddie to the Colonial or Capital. Louisa is better suited in the district they are in with Goochland, Fluvanna, Orange, Western Albemarle, Charlottesville...

I completely agree. I was trying to figure out their approximate location to the central region,but there is none

Reactions: CRF4Dan
The reason I brought that up is both Louisa and Albermarle are class 5 schools and it would be a good fit classification wise with enrollment numbers.

Would the Capital and Colonial district be better if Louisa and Albermarle joined them?
no - you maybe too young to know but Lane High School (now Charlottesville HS) used to be a member of the old Capital District.

Just an aside. Back in my HS days Louisa was our closest Battlefield District rival until Matoaca joined. This was the life for Varina thru the 70's. :)
When I would look through my dad's yearbooks and see the schools Varina played back in the 60's-70's it was all over the place... some teams here, some teams like a Louisa, James Monroe, even a Benedictine occasionally.

I don't understand why districts are even talked about now. District count for nothing, no district champions crowned. HSHS doesn't play 2 or our District teams (Armstrong and Mechanicsville)
. It doesn't matter.
It's mainly kept for scheduling purposes... making it easier for teams to put together schedules and play teams locally. Highland Springs is anomaly when it comes to scheduling.

Reactions: springer76
It's mainly kept for scheduling purposes... making it easier for teams to put together schedules and play teams locally. Highland Springs is anomaly when it comes to scheduling.
'76 will find this hard to believe but life for schools is about more than football. ;) ;)

Tier 1

1. HSHS (5-0) got a huge win last week v. Martinsburg. Will be 9-0 going into Varina Game. Nobody can beat HSHS in region 5C and it is not close. QB Martin has taken steps and the speed and talent on the perimeter and on the defense is scary. Greene, Johnson's kids and Heath have been very impressive.

Tier 2

3. Midlothian (3-0) beat LC Bird in a very tough game. I was impressed with Midlothian's toughness and ability to run the ball on a very solid Bird D. Midlothian is going to be a tough game for everyone in 5C not coached by Loren Johnson. I expect Midlothian to be 6-0 when they play Manchester.

4. Douglas Freeman (4-0) is a really well coached football team and they have looked good. The issue with Freeman every year is that they have one of the easiest schedules year in year out. Freeman only plays 3 teams that have the ability to challenge them. I expect Godwin to play them tough tonight, but doubt Freeman could lose this game. DF plays physical and DE Abbey is a man amongst boys.

5. Glen Allen (1-2) has played as tough of a local schedule as anyone in 5C. Tough loss week 1 to a solid Matoaca team, lost to a loaded Varina team and came up with a big win at PH last Friday. It does not get any easier for the Jags tonight when they travel to Herm in a huge game for playoff ramifications. I could see GA winning tonight.

Tier 3

Tier 4

9. JR Tucker (2-2) can make an argument that they should be 3-1, but they very easily could be 0-4. The got a badly needed win v. Deep run last night, but the loss v. Meadowbrook might come back to hurt Coach Sims and his team. Other than TJ and Mills Godwin, Tucker does not have very many winnable games left on their schedule. They will need to win 1 of those games to get in position to make playoffs.

10. Clover Hill (0-3) is really struggling offensively with 6 pts combined in 3 games. I do think they have some good individual talent but the Offensive and Defensive schemes are just not working for Coach Jennings. Clover Hill should beat Huguenot tonight, but they will need to beat either James River or Monacan to get into playoff contention.

11. Deep Run (1-4) has FF win v. Mechanicsville but is really in a tough spot after losing to Tucker last night. Deep Run only has 1 or maybe 2 winnable games left on their schedule. Going to be a uphill battle to get into playoff contention.

Week 6 Rankings

1. HSHS (5-0) travels to face a somewhat down (for them) Colonial Forge team that is 2-2. CF lost both of their games by 6 points and could keep it close for a half, but HSHS should win this game by 3+ scores. This will be their toughest test besides Varina left on their schedule.

2. Hermitage (3-2) escaped with huge 21 point comeback win vs a talented Glen Allen team. Hermitage has some really nice talent but they seem to get in their own way at times. They barely hold on to the 2nd spot bc they have played 3 teams much better than anyone DF of Midlothian has played. Hermitage will roll JR Tucker in preparation for the 2 biggest games on left on their schedule vs. Lake Taylor and Freeman.

3. Midlothian (4-0) gave up an early score to Monacan and rattled off 28 unanswered points in dominant fashion. We still don't know how good Midlothian is bc they have not played any good teams besides LC Bird. Midlothian has one of the top 3-4 RBs in the area and very good Defense as usual. Midlothian plays Cosby on Friday and it will be interesting to see how they handle a Titans team that is better than they have been in years. I still see Midlothian being 6-0 going into the Manchester game.

4. Freeman (5-0) beat Mills Godwin 28-6 in a similar fashion to how Midlothian beat Monacan. Freeman might be the second best team in the region, but we wont know until they play some quality teams. They will beat Deep Run and will be 6-0 heading into what might be the biggest game for region 5C standings all year when they play Hermitage the following week. Freeman also has Glen Allen and St. Christopher's left on their schedule, those 3 games will determine if Freeman is #2-#5 seed for playoffs.

5. Glen Allen (1-3) was up 21-0 and found a way to lose to Hermitage on the last play of the game. Glen Allen has played 4 quality teams and even though they are 1-3, they remain the most dangerous teams in 5C outside the top 4. Glen Allen's schedule was frontloaded and I would not be surprised if they go 7-3 or 6-4 with only TJ and Freeman remaining that could beat the Jags. It will be interesting to see how the playoff pts play out.

6. LC Bird (3-1) beat Cosby 34-21 Friday to bounce back from the tough loss at Midlothian. Bird plays Huguenot and should be 4-1 heading into a big Dominion district game v. Manchester. Other than Dale, Manchester is the only team I see left on Bird's schedule that could beat them. Coach Taylor has Bird playing well.

7. Mills Godwin (2-3) lost 28-6 to Freeman in a game they were really never in. Coach Adams and his team has a tough test coming up against Glen Allen but then plays 2-3 winnable games to close out the season. I see Godwin being 4-5 going into their last game vs. TJ to see if the can finish the season .500.

8-12 are truly interchangeable and one of these teams will have to play HSHS in playoffs. Not much of a reward for making postseason.

8. Clover Hill (1-3) it is hard to believe that a 1 point win vs. a not very good Huguenot football team would get you much credit in the rankings, but this has more to do with the Dominion district being down and them having the best chance at winning 3 games between teams 8-12. Clover Hill will beat Wythe, but it remains to be seen if they can beat a more quality opponent like Monacan, Powhatan or James River to seal their playoff birth.

9. Prince George (1-3) hung onto their playoff chances with a 20-8 win vs. Meadowbrook on Friday night. A win vs. Colonial Heights might get them in the playoffs with their tough schedule. They have some athletes but are very young and mistake prone.

10. Meadowbrook (1-4) gave away a big chance at sealing the playoff bid by losing to PG. Meadowbrook will have to find at least 1 if not 2 wins to make the playoffs. They play Petersburg and Colonial Heights the next two weeks in what are must-win games to make the playoffs in my view.

11. JR Tucker (2-2) won a must-win game vs. Deep Run after being beat by Meadowbrook. Tucker has talent but they have underachieved. Tucker's playoff outlook is based on if they can win vs. Godwin or TJ because there are not many winnable games left on their schedule.

12. Deep Run (1-4) lost to JR Tucker on Friday 20-14 in what probably seals their playoff fate. Deep Run is better than they were last year, but still has a long ways to go to get back where Bo Kite and crew had the program 2-3 years ago. Like JR Tucker, they will have to find a win vs. Godwin or TJ to get back in postseason conversation.

TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 2022​

THE FUTURE: VHSL Approves Region Alignment for 2023--2027​

After weeks of proposals, objections, and meetings, the Virginia High School League (VHSL) Executive Committee has officially approved the region alignment for its six classifications for the period from July, 2023 to June, 2027.

Please note that the League does make some adjustments to the alignment at the midway point (the summer of 2025) to account for changes in school enrollments, the opening of new schools, consolidation of current schools, etc.

In this piece, we will discuss each region that has a Metro RVA team, how it has changed, and a little information on schools that will be new to our area once postseason play begins.

New teams will be both bold and italicized. All Metro RVA teams will be in bold only unless they have moved regions, then they will be both as well.

CLASS 6, REGION A: (11 Teams)

Cosby, Deep Run, Glen Allen, Grassfield, Highland Springs, Landstown, Manchester, Meadowbrook, Oscar Smith, Thomas Dale, Western Branch

ANALYSIS: Franklin County, Floyd Kellam and Ocean Lakes all leave the region, as does James River, who, for the first time since the Great Reclassification of 2013, will not be in Class 6. Football fans immediately gravitate, and salivate, at the thought of region championship games between Highland Springs and Oscar Smith. But there's much more to be considered here. For Deep Run and Glen Allen, especially for spring sports, they'll need to get to know a lot of Northern Virginia schools, all of whom populate the other three regions in Class 6. The same goes for field hockey in the fall. As for basketball, bringing in the Springers, Jaguars and Wildcats to join Manchester and Thomas Dale will make region tournaments very interesting. Meadowbrook is really the program behind the eight-ball here. Their road to getting back to deep playoff runs across the board will be even tougher.

CLASS 5, REGION C: (15 Teams)

Albemarle, Clover Hill, Douglas Freeman, Franklin County, Hermitage, J.R. Tucker, James River, L.C. Bird, Louisa, Matoaca, Midlothian, Mills Godwin, Patrick Henry-Roanoke, Prince George, William Fleming

ANALYSIS
: The region, by far, has the biggest changes, even with three Henrico powerhouses headed to Class 6. A twelve-team region grows to fifteen as Deep Run, Glen Allen, Highland Springs and Meadowbrook depart, Matoaca returns to Class 5 after two seasons in Class 4 (and petitioning the VHSL to move up) and James River comes down from Class 6. This region will also no longer be exclusive to Richmond area teams, as Albemarle enters from the Charlottesville area, while Franklin County of Rocky Mount, Louisa, Patrick Henry-Roanoke and William Fleming all enter.

Logistically, this region just became a nightmare. But, to the VHSL's defense, it would be even more of a burden for the western schools to join any other region in Class 5, having either to go to Tidewater or Northern Virginia. It's also now the largest region in Class 5 with 15 teams (Class 5, Region A is next with 14, Region D only has 9).

Franklin County was a longtime member of Class 6, sharing both a region, and a conference back in their four-year tenure, with the likes of Cosby, Thomas Dale and James River. They're used to coming east for playoff action. So is Patrick Henry-Roanoke, who briefly played in the old Conference 16, which included Albemarle, Atlee, and our Patrick Henry (Ashland). Louisa, of course, plays some area schools in sports already and, geographically, is just a little further out than, say, Amelia, Powhatan, or Caroline. The Lions will automatically become a force in football in the region.

The unknown is William Fleming, the other Roanoke City high school (with PH-Roanoke). The Colonels have not made the football postseason since 2014, and are currently 1-4 this season. Boys basketball last won a state title in 2007.

CLASS 4, REGION B: (17 Teams)

Atlee, Caroline, Chancellor, Courtland, Dinwiddie, Eastern View, George Wythe, Hanover, Henrico, Huguenot, King George, Mechanicsville, Monacan, Patrick Henry (Ashland), Powhatan, Spotsylvania, Varina

ANALYSIS:
Interestingly enough, there is little change to the area's biggest region. Matoaca requested, and received, a move back up to Class 5, Region C. Caroline, who requested and received a move down from Region 4B to Class 3, Region B asked for that again, but this time were denied. The Cavaliers replace the Warriors, while the other sixteen teams remain the same including all four Hanover County schools.

CLASS 3, REGION A: (13 Teams)

Booker T. Washington, Colonial Heights, Grafton, Heritage (Newport News), Hopewell, I.C. Norcom, Lafayette, Lakeland, Lake Taylor, New Kent, Petersburg, Tabb, York

ANALYSIS: This region goes down from the current fourteen-team configuration. Leaving are Phoebus (Class 4), Southampton (Class 2) and Park View-South Hill, closed along with Bluestone to create the new Mecklenburg County High School. Eleven holdovers are joined by Grafton, a Bay Rivers District rival of New Kent, and Heritage, both moving down from Class 4.

CLASS 3, REGION B: (14 Teams)

Armstrong, Brentsville District, Culpeper, Fauquier, Goochland, Kettle Run, James Monroe, Maggie Walker GS, Manassas Park, Meridian, Skyline, Thomas Jefferson, Warren County, William Monroe

ANALYSIS: This region moves up from twelve to fourteen schools, led by Thomas Jefferson's move up from Class 2, Region A. Fauquier and Kettle Run each move down from Class 4. Armstrong and Goochland stay put. If Manassas Park resumes football in 2023, 13 teams will compete in that sport, all but Maggie Walker.

CLASS 2, REGION A: (14 Teams)

Amelia, Arcadia, Bruton, Central-Lunenburg, Greensville County, John Marshall, King William, Nandua, Nottoway, Poquoson, Prince Edward, Randolph-Henry, Southampton, Windsor

ANALYSIS: Bluestone is gone, closed to consolidate in Mecklenburg County, while Brunswick moves down to Class 1, and the Vikings of Thomas Jefferson are replaced by Southampton, TJ from Class 2 to 3, and Southampton in the opposite direction. Central-Lunenburg enters via moving up from Class 1, Region B.

CLASS 1, REGION A: (13 Teams)

Charles City, Chincoteague, Colonial Beach, Essex, King & Queen Central, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, Northampton, Northumberland, Rappahannock, Westmoreland, West Point

ANALYSIS
: The only change is a name, as Westmoreland replaces Washington & Lee as the county's high school name. That took effect this season.

CLASS 1, REGION B: (12 Teams)

Altavista, Appomattox Regional GS, Brunswick, Buffalo Gap, Carver College & Career Academy, Cumberland, Franklin, Galileo, Rappahannock County, Surry, Sussex, William Campbell

ANALYSIS: Minor changes here, with one major exception. Class 1 football power Riverheads is heading to Class 2, Region B. Central-Lunenburg leaves, switching places with Brunswick, who comes down to Class 1.

Posted by robwitham at 2:12 PM

I don't understand why districts are even talked about now. District count for nothing, no district champions crowned. HSHS doesn't play 2 or our District teams (Armstrong and Mechanicsville)
. It doesn't matter.
that is because you are a football follower and could care less about all the other high school sports (boys or girls)!!!

Reactions: springer76
Varina is in the same district as PH. That’s a long haul in all sports!
that would be only one vote and I notice neither of you mentioned Albemarle.
Actually in the old days Lane of Charlottesville used to be in the Capital District back when gas was less than $1.00/gal. Even then they got tired of those long dark lonely trips up I-64 west and back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT