ADVERTISEMENT

Richmond Football Forecast

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
The curtain is descending on what has been a fantastic regular season in the Richmond Region. With two weeks to go there is still a lot to be decided as far as who makes the playoffs, who draws who and who plays where. This week just about every game has playoffs implications but none bigger than…

GAME OF THE WEEK

Atlee(7-1) at Highland Springs(8-0)
This one will go a long way in both teams' playoff futures. For Atlee, a win over the Springers would not only hurt the Springers chances at a home game but it could certainly vault the Raiders into the top four. The Raiders don't have nearly as much to lose from a loss, they are a lock for the playoffs and a lower seed to be honest could mean an easier draw for the playoffs, albeit I would not want to face any of those top four teams. For the Springers, it's simple, win and keep winning and you have home field advantage.

The Raiders have only beaten the Springers five times, the latest coming last season when the Raiders finished 9-1 and swept the Capital District. That however was last year, the overall record in the series favors the Springers 17-5 but… the Raiders have won two out of the last three. This said, Coach Roscoe Johnson arrived at Atlee one year prior to Coach Loren Johnson's arrival at Highland Springs. Since 2008, the Springers are 4-2 against Atlee outscoring them 170-138 and the last four meetings? All but one game was decided by single digits… What was once a game you could count the Springers on winning every game has been far more competitive over the last four years and you could say that Atlee has definitely closed the game on the Springers in the Capital District. If you're wondering if Atlee can make it two in a row… keep this in mind, the Raiders have not beaten the Springers in consecutive seasons since three-peating from 1996-1998.

The past is the past, stats are stats and this game is about the players and coaches of today and boy are both teams loaded with talent. The Springers have a plethora of offensive talent from Marcus Taylor, DJ Anderson, KC Hinton to Tank Scott running the ball and if the running game needs a break or is not effective, well then you can rely on the passing game between Juwan Carter and Felton Davis or Greg Dortch and Dortch can also run the ball as well. If the Raiders are to win, they will have to stop this offensive attack that no one has been able to do yet this season. Meadowbrook and Henrico gave it their best shot but couldn't do it… Does Atlee have the defense to get it done? They have playmakers on defense such as the highly recruited and touted Ricky DeBerry in addition to a host of others such as Brandon Crosby, Chalin Fairly, Chad Vanlandingham and JJ Givens to name a few. The Raiders have just one shutout and kept Freeman to 7 this season but other than those two games, teams have been able to score and that is one of the biggest questions and keys to this game, can Atlee's defense stop the Springer offense? The Raiders put up points, and have scored no less than 20 this season and should this be a shootout, the Raiders can win but if not, they will need their defense to play their best game of the season.

The Raiders do have an offense that can score points… evident by the 70 they put on Armstrong. Rashard Harris, Loumond Dandridge, Trammell Carey and AJ Zollar are all vital parts of the offensive attack and the Springers have a proven defense. Only one team has scored over 19 points on the Springers and that was Armstrong just two weeks ago. Henrico who Highland Springs just beat on Saturday had the Raiders beaten just weeks ago but the Raiders came back fast and furious in the closing minutes of the game and nearly stole the win. If last week's game between Henrico and Highland Springs is any indication of who the better defense is, then you gotta go with the Springers.

Which is why I do think Highland Springs will win this one… Playing at home will help, the Springers have played tough teams earlier this season and survived them and I just think the defense will make the big plays when they need to. Springers improve to 9-0 going into their final game at Varina.
Prediction: Highland Springs 28, Atlee 20

Richmond Roundout:

Thomas Dale(6-2) at Dinwiddie(7-1)
Another in a series of games that carry playoff implications this weekend. The Knights have gotten better and better as the season has progressed and Dinwiddie has had a couple of hiccups over the last two weeks. These hiccups could be a wakeup call for the Generals or it could be setting the stage for the Knights to do what Matoaca and Hopewell came close to doing themselves. The Generals have just eight wins since 1970 against the Knights and have only won three times at home in the series. Don't be fooled though, five of the Generals wins have come in their last seven meetings. This game could really go either way but I think Thomas Dale take this one and solidifies a home game in the playoffs in two weeks.
Prediction: Thomas Dale 28, Dinwiddie 24

James River(5-3) at Manchester(8-0)
The Rapids had a break last week and it could be argued as to whether it came at the right time or not. The Rapids have played like a team intent on making the playoffs and sometimes a bye can crush that momentum. Then again, when taking on a team such as Manchester, a team that is undefeated and has weapons everywhere, having a week to prepare can be a very good thing. The Rapids last win in the series was 2009; they've only won 4 out of their 20 meetings with the Lancers. The Rapids know 6-4 doesn't guarantee a playoff, evident by last season so the Rapids need to keep winning and a win here would be huge. I could see the Rapids hanging for a half, maybe three quarters but in the end the Lancers just have too much and the Rapids fall.
Prediction: Manchester 35, James River 17

Round The Region:

Armstrong(5-3) at Lee-Davis(2-6)
Lee-Davis could play spoiler to the Wildcats hopes of hosting a playoff game. The Confederates are not as bad as their record indicates and the Wildcats, well they are looking to put a stop to their slide. Armstrong's last win in the series was 2005, nine years ago! That win was only their second ever against Lee-Davis, the Confederates hold a 26-2 advantage in the series. This is one of those games that could go either way but I think Armstrong does take this one.
Prediction: Armstrong 28, Lee-Davis 24

Colonial Heights(2-6) at Prince George(3-5)
The season started out so great for both teams but has soured as the season has unfolded. Oddly enough, even at 2-6, the Colonials can still make the playoffs, in fact, they would be in the playoffs now if they started. Royals however could play spoiler and given the fact that they have won the last four meetings, it would be no surprise. What is a surprise is just how close this series is, Royals lead 20-19-1 since 1970.
Prediction: Prince George 42, Colonial Heights 16

Deep Run(0-8) at Patrick Henry(4-4)
Two programs moving in oppositie directions. The Wildcats are trying to stave off their first winless season and the Patriots are looking to make the playoffs as Coach Davis seems to have revived a dormant program in his first season. The Patriots haven't beaten Deep Run since Coach Pritchard was there so we are talking back to 2006… Look for them to break through and get to five wins on the season.
Prediction: Patrick Henry 24, Deep Run 16

George Wythe(1-7) at Cosby(5-3)
Cosby needs a win to stabilize their playoff hopes so this game could not come at a better time for the Titans. The Bulldogs have won and they have played better than in previous seasons but this Titans team will look to exercise the demons of the last three weeks at the expense of the Bulldogs. Cosby has never lost to Wythe and I don't like for them to this time around.
Prediction: Cosby 45, George Wythe 14

Hanover(5-3) at Varina(4-4)
This game is big for both these programs. A win here and Hanover barring an upset at Glen Allen will finish the season 7-3 and host a playoff game. A loss and its 6-4 more than likely and possibly on the road for the playoffs. As for Varina, they need this one just to keep themselves in the playoff chase. Hanover has just one win in the series and has never won at Varina, the Blue Devils lead the series 10-1. While Varina has played better as of late, this game could really go either way…
Prediction: Hanover 28, Varina 17

Henrico(6-2) at Glen Allen(1-7)
Last year the Jaguars beat the Warriors for the first time but both teams are a far cry from where they were last year. The Jaguars are mired in a 7-game losing streak and the Warriors have completely turned around their record from last season albeit they have lost two straight. The losses Henrico have are to traditionally strong teams and Glen Allen is a program that has not evolved to that level. Look for the Warriors to take this one.
Prediction: Henrico 28, Glen Allen 7

Hermitage(8-0) at John Marshall(1-7)
Bill Clinton was still president the last time the Panthers lost to the Justices… that's right 1996. Since that time, the Panthers have rolled off seventeen straight wins to take a commanding lead in the series since 1970, 20-7. The Panthers are arguably one of the best teams in the region this season and John Marshall has avoided another winless season but they are still a work in progress under Coach Thompson in his first year. Look for the Panthers to cruise to another big win.
Prediction: Hermitage 49, John Marshall 6

Hopewell(4-4) at Matoaca(3-5)
Hopewell lost to the Generals last week after leading early whereas Matoaca won and has been improving as the season has progressed. Does that mean the Warriors will win? Absolutely not, in fact Hopewell has won the past two meetings and actually leads the series 10-8. The Blue Devils still have a lot to play for, yes they are in the playoffs but the Blue Devils right now have a home playoff game and should they lose this game or the finale, they could lose that spot. Expect that to be a driving force Friday night in this one as I expect this one to be a bit high scoring.
Prediction: Hopewell 42, Matoaca 30

JR Tucker(3-5) at Mills Godwin(4-4)
In 2009 JR Tucker finished the season 8-2 and nearly made the playoffs. That same season they beat Mills Godwin and that was the last time Tucker won in the series. This year Tucker won't be finishing with a winning record or going to the playoffs and while their records might be similar, you never know what you are going to get from the Tigers. Godwin must keep winning and hope that Meadowbrook slips over the next two weeks… Win they should do in this one.
Prediction: Mills Godwin 28, JR Tucker 21

LC Bird(7-1) at Clover Hill(2-6)
Under Coach Bedwell, Bird has never lost to Clover Hill. The last Bird team to fall to the Cavaliers was in 1997. That was one of just six wins Clover Hill has had against LC Bird, the Skyhawks lead it 31-6-1. The Skyhawks only loss this season came to a Lake Taylor team that is favored to go far in the playoffs, perhaps a state champion in the making. The Cavaliers are not that same caliber team but then again, this Skyhawks team is not the same Skyhawks of the last two years but even with that said, it's hard to imagine the Skyhawks dropping this one.
Prediction: LC Bird 42, Clover Hill 7

Monacan(6-2) at Midlothian(2-7)
This will be the final game of the season for the Trojans, a season that has mirrored last season. Last season Monacan won and this Chiefs team is better than that one. The Trojans have two straight wins coming into this one but Midlothian has struggled against the good teams on their schedule, that is why I believe the Trojans will finish the season 2-8 much like last season dropping this one. It doesn't hurt that Monacan leads the series 25-10.
Prediction: Monacan 33, Midlothian 18

Petersburg(3-5) at Meadowbrook(4-4)
Two teams looking to return to the playoffs. As good as Meadowbrook has been over the last decade it's easy to forget the Crimson Wave were good far longer. The Crimson Wave actually lead the series 23-12 since 1970. Three of Meadowbrook's losses came to teams that are currently undefeated and for Petersburg, the wins have been few and far between against the Monarchs. In fact, Meadowbrook has won the last six meetings at home and if the Crimson Wave cannot stop Justin Miller, that streak will extend to 7.
Prediction: Meadowbrook 33, Petersburg 16

Douglas Freeman(6-2) at Thomas Jefferson(2-6)
Douglas Freeman has not always been as good as they have been since Coach Henderson arrived. That said, the Vikings have not always been as competitive as they have been under Coach Hornik so the fact that the Rebels have won sixteen straight in this series should come as no surprise. The Vikings need a win to stay in the playoff chase while the Rebels are playing for seeding come playoff time. The Vikings could give the Rebels a game at first but in the end, the Rebels take this one.
Prediction: Douglas Freeman 31, Thomas Jefferson 7

EXTRA POINTS
Disclaimer: For those who look forward to my texting of scores on Friday night. I will not be at a game this Friday night. The next time Halloween falls on a Friday my son will be sixteen and trick-or-treating won't be his thing anymore. As much as I love the game of football, my son comes first. So enjoy your games but there will be no text updates.

In 1997 a winless Armstrong Wildcats team faced an undefeated Lee-Davis Confederates team on Halloween night… The Confederates won 69-0 and finished the season 9-1 and fell in the Central Region Finals. Armstrong would finish the season winless.

Thomas Dale has beaten Dinwiddie twice on Halloween night, 1975 and 1997. In the two previous meetings on Halloween night, the Generals had a losing record.

If you would like to get text updates from games I'm covering and other games in the area, you may follow me on twitter at CRF4Dan or you may e-mail me at CRF4Dan@aol.com with your cell number and I can add you to the list of many I exchange scores with.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News