ADVERTISEMENT

Game Recap Riverheads Capitalizes Off Mistakes and Move On

TheSel2

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Apr 29, 2003
MG_9759_1.jpg

Moose Lee breaks throw a seam in the Trojans defense for the touchdown.

SALUDA- The Essex Trojans had a home away from home in Middlesex versus the defending state champion Riverheads Gladiators for the right to compete for the state championship in Class 1. Both teams had a plan to make sure they were to advance to Salem but only one would be successful on this late fall afternoon.

Both teams struggled to get things going early as the defenses rose to the occasion as neither could get on the scoreboard in the first quarter. Penalties plagued both squads but mainly the Gladiators who were flagged 6 times in the opening quarter alone. Things would be dramatically different in the 2nd quarter late.

Ashton Ashlock would make a tremendous pass on the home sideline and Delontae Norman would make a spectacular catch between two defenders. Norman even got both feet in giving the game’s first scoring threat. The emotions ran a little high and there was a flag for unsportsmanlike conduct that moved the ball from the Riverheads 8 to the 23. KJ Dameron will race the right side and would get forced out at the 1. After that, Dameron would stretch out over the goal line as the Trojans would go up 7-0 with 5:11 before the half.

MG_0666.jpg

The holes were not plentiful but just enough for Dameron and the Trojans early.

The Gladiators would be anxious to respond. Chipping away downfield they would soon stall at the Essex 29. Facing a 4th and long Tyler Smith would run a strong play action fake that would give Devin Morris the step he needed and Smith would do the rest throwing a perfect pass for the touchdown with 0:57 on the clock. The extra point would be good and Riverheads nodded it up at 7-7.

At this moment Essex could elect to run things out and go into the half tied or attempt to go up some more points. They would choose the later. What they didn’t choose was the top Region B defender Blake Smith waiting to strike reading the eyes of Ashlock. Smith would nab an interception and returned it to the 19-yard line. Emotions would boil as another unsportsmanlike penalty moved the ball just outside the Essex 8. With Dalton Jordan momentarily out with a leg injury, Moose Lee came in and bolted into the endzone for the touchdown giving the Gladiators a 14-7 lead with 0:23 left before the half.

MG_9856_1.jpg

Blake Smith eyes and captures his 2nd interception in less than a 1 minute of game play.

After a solid kick return into Riverheads territory by Dameron, Essex would attempt to go and salvage the opportunity to get some points. A pattern called for the normally sure handed Norman would fall incomplete that would have put them in range of Guadalupe Villeda. With only 1 second on the clock, Ashlock would attempt to pass to his right in the vicinity of Blake Smith. The result would be the same, Smith would make an interception and what was discussed as an inadvertent whistle which stopped what Riverheads thought would be a pick six.

MG_9829_1.jpg

Norman couldn't make this catch up high before the half.

A tough one minute that the Trojans gave up 14 points and threw 2 interceptions to the same player. Despite the misfortunes the Essex faithful still believed their guys could turn things around in the 2nd half.

The Trojans could not get their offense rolling and in the 3rd in the quarter. Drives would stall out with loses illustrated by the Riverheads defense. The Gladiators would march 49 yards in 2:44 down to the Essex 3-yard line. Coach Robert Casto weighed the option of going for it but a field goal would be large in a game like this and he was right. Peyton Skillman would nail the 20-yard field goal with ease giving the Gladiators a 17-7 lead with 0:32 left in the quarter.

Essex would get a good run on 1st down to start their possession early in the 4th but would stall out and would be forced to punt. Their defense would rise to the occasion forcing Riverheads to go 3 and out and forced them to punt. Blake Smith could not handle the loose snap and would get tackled at his own 25-yard line with 7:34 left in the game. Coach Todd Jones group had their best opportunity to sway the game quickly with plenty of time to play.

MG_0071.jpg

Coach Todd Jones defensive strategy paid off big and kept the Trojans in the game.

After another key catch by Norman, which would get them inside just outside the 10, the Trojans looked ready to bang their way in. The Trojans would cough up the ball at the Riverheads 10 with 6:34 left to play. The turnover drained the Trojans but they still had plenty of fight in them. Riverheads would run the clock down by running the football but on 4th and 15 they would go to the air and Lee would make a catch off a tipped balled by a fallen receiver that would help get a first down to eat more time off the clock.

Riverheads would punt later in the drive giving the Trojans one last opportunity to get back into the game. Ashlock would throw a touchdown pass to Norman from 4-yards out with 38 seconds left to play in the game. 17-14 Riverheads and it would come down to the onside kick. Dameron’s kick would be a squib and the hands team for Riverheads would coral it punching their ticket to Salem.

MG_1003.jpg

Riverheads gets the job done outlasting the Trojans done the stretch.

Coach Casto and the Gladiators (11-2) will face off against Chilhowie who came back to defeat Galax 25-21. The championship will be 12noon in Salem in an attempt for Riverheads to go back-to-back. This will be Riverheads third trip in a row to Salem.

Essex (12-2) had a great memorable season in Coach Todd Jones’ return year. Making the state -semis in his first returning season was huge and you can expect the Trojans to be in the mix again next season. The expectations just ended a week prematurely than many had envisioned.

RIVERHEADS 0 14 3 0 - 17

ESSEX 0 7 0 7 - 14

E- Dameron 1-yard run (Villeda kick)

R- Morris 29-yard pass from Tyler Smith (Skillman kick)

R- Lee 8-yard run (Skillman kick)

R- Skillman 20-yard field goal

E- Norman 4-yard pass from Ashlock (Villeda kick)

23 combined penalties. Several penalties were also declined. I would speculate that attendance was close to 2,000

Typically they come from an organization that has not officiated games from either teams district. This group appeared to be "over-officious" as Marv Levy once said.

Yea I was just wondering if they officiated that way all year in the games they did. The false start penalty’s on Riverheads more than likely something they have done all year and not called. Not saying what they were calling right or wrong.

Who said history doesn't matter a few weeks ago?

Well, history wins again.

I said many times Essex needs to play in Tappahannock. The kids are more comfortable there and usually play lights out.

Essex does not play well or win against elite teams (outside of Region A especially) unless they play at home.

Essex as awful as their penalties and behavior were, wow the Trojans still almost beat the mighty Red Team.

Last edited:
NNDman can correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge of the last 20 years Essex has never defeated an elite team (what I call a Tier one) in an away game (outside of Region A).

Radford was a Tier 2 at best. All knowledgeable sports folks knew whoever won the Essex v Gretna game (both Tier One teams) would roll the next team.

Goochland twice, Gretna, Altavista, Galax, Riverheads twice and the list goes on, all losses, all away.

The Riverheads or Essex (both Tier One) winner will easily win next week. I am pulling for the underdog Chilhowie and hope they can pull off the major upset!

I just hope they can keep it within 3 to 4 TDs.

Don't let the Radford people read what you wrote! I believe Essex has lost to the state champ in its final game from 2012-16. Let's see if it happens again. Most suspect it will

As bad as Essex was yesterday, they'd be playing next week if they would have run out the clock before half. They held the mighty RH machine scoreless until the last minute of the half. They receive the 2nd half kick. Their QB was highly inaccurate. Yet they decide to try and go on a 70 yd scoring drive with 50 seconds or so left. There wasnt even an Essex receiver in the area on the pick. Then they hit the kid who got the int late out of bounds and tack on 15 more yds setting up RH. Inexplicable imo. And if 2 tds in less than a minute wasnt enough, they tried again with 30 second left. Yes they had better field position, but if twas not for a ridiculous brain fart by the side ref, RH would have likely had a pik six and scored their 3rd td in less than a minute. Im sorry but thats on the coach. Gave all th momentum to RH right before the half. Damn shame. Essex could have pounded th ball between the tackles and there would have been nothing RH could do to stop it. Instead they tried to run around them and pass the ball.

Not one of Riverheads greatest performances they shot their selves in foot a good bit should have been 14-0 after first two drives wasn’t for penalties

Not one of Riverheads greatest performances they shot their selves in foot a good bit should have been 14-0 after first two drives wasn’t for penalties
Yes it appeared the refs were bewildered by RH offense. They were also flag happy. Having said that, they established in the 1st qtr they were not going to tolerate ANY bs. At that point its up to the coaches to get their team to understand that running your mouth or cursing after plays while walking off the field would not be tolerated. Yet Essex continually hurt themselvesith these stupid antics. On at least 2 occasions, they got unsportsmanlike when a kid was just walking off the field talkng to himself and cursing, not at another player or official. It was just hard to watch the game due to all the extracurricular bs. Probably the worst game I think I have ever seen from a penalty standpoint, some of it deserved some of it not.

Reactions: Baseball215
I have been told that Essex was flagged 17 times for a total of 190 yards and Riverheads 11 times for 80 yards. Either one is too much so the teams either didn't adapt to the way the game was being called or else the refs were the ones out of control.

I have been told that Essex was flagged 17 times for a total of 190 yards and Riverheads 11 times for 80 yards. Either one is too much so the teams either didn't adapt to the way the game was being called or else the refs were the ones out of control.
Refs were the pits ! Crew should be thrown under the bus . Its bad when the winning team is as vocal as this about the refs ! I hope VHSL can review the game and send those guys to ref a corn hole game , something they can handle !

There was a point late in the game when I thought number 24 had been ejected, but he came back into the game later. In high school ball, is an ejection just a judgment call or do you get kicked out for a second U/C like they do in college?

Refs were the pits ! Crew should be thrown under the bus . Its bad when the winning team is as vocal as this about the refs ! I hope VHSL can review the game and send those guys to ref a corn hole game , something they can handle !
I agree. But no one should be surprised. I dont know about other parts of the state, but the refs around here are like that every Friday night, sometimes much worse. For the amount of $ VHSL mandates we pay them, they should be able to provide much better service. And its getting worse every year. I know people get tired of blaming refs, and Im not saying they caused either team to win or lose this game, but its despicable to have a game like this and have to settle for the idiotic imbeciles that showed up. We are past the point where things even out or one call doesnt make that big of difference. It is way worse than that. More than once they just called a penalty or blew a whistle because something didnt look right,and had no clue what to say after they threw the flag or blew the whistle. It was disgusting. I dont know how one of the coaches didnt get ejected from blowing a gasket. It was so bad I feel the game should be replayed with real officials, not some mickey mouse fools from disney land. It's not fair to the kids and coaches who bust their azz every week only to have a game decided or ruined by piss poor officials. And I dont want to hear about how hard it is. It really isnt. Thats just a piss poor excuse for people doing a poor job.

Both coaches were extremely confused and upset about the refereeing it sounds like to me.

I am guessing that the ref crew came in thinking they need to have complete control of the game and completely over officiated.

They probably were told about the FC game and tried to overcompensate when the FC fiasco was a once in a lifetime event caused by about 50 to 100 disgusting FC fans.

The refs without a doubt changed the course of the game for both teams. Who knows who would have won had the battle been properly officiated and was allowed a proper flow and rhythm to develop.

I have great respect for officials and have no issues losing to better team if deserved. I am even okay with referees making honest mistakes as long as it goes both ways. It is going to happen as humans make mistakes. This is usually the case and I expect it to happen often in most games.

However, there is nothing worse in sports than incompetent referees who do not know all the rules stated in the NFHS rule book and it costs your team a victory. You cannot game plan and practice for that level of incompetence.

I'm relatively certain they get paid $65-70 a game.... if they are coming from the 757 including travel that's 6 hours conservatively of time spent. So they make roughly $10/hr not counting gas/car/dues/equipment expense to get there.

Not really surprising numbers have dropped over time....

I agree. But no one should be surprised. I dont know about other parts of the state, but the refs around here are like that every Friday night, sometimes much worse. For the amount of $ VHSL mandates we pay them, they should be able to provide much better service. And its getting worse every year. I know people get tired of blaming refs, and Im not saying they caused either team to win or lose this game, but its despicable to have a game like this and have to settle for the idiotic imbeciles that showed up. We are past the point where things even out or one call doesnt make that big of difference. It is way worse than that. More than once they just called a penalty or blew a whistle because something didnt look right,and had no clue what to say after they threw the flag or blew the whistle. It was disgusting. I dont know how one of the coaches didnt get ejected from blowing a gasket. It was so bad I feel the game should be replayed with real officials, not some mickey mouse fools from disney land. It's not fair to the kids and coaches who bust their azz every week only to have a game decided or ruined by piss poor officials. And I dont want to hear about how hard it is. It really isnt. Thats just a piss poor excuse for people doing a poor job.

VHSL doesn't mandate anything for regular season - schools are free to shop around to various officials associations each year. I'm not excusing any officials - however, it is difficult to officiate games and no matter what there are always complaints. It's like anything else - not a lot of people want to officiate, talent pool is less, increase pay to try and attract more officials and increase the talent pool but to no avail. Single A normally is going to get the worst set of officials and I agree there are a ton of bad officials. All you have to do is go to a Single A basketball game - some don't even know the rules much less the mechanics of being an official. That's why when I there is a set of good officials or one official does a good job (win or lose) I make sure to come out of the stands and mention it to them

Kids and coaches busting their azzes is relative. Some more than others - everyone always uses that as the excuse - "the kids bust their tails everyday and ________________ (fill in the blank) is taking it away". I know some programs and players that say they bust their tails but in my opinion, really don't put forth that much effort (they like to talk like they do though).

NNDman can correct me if I am wrong, but to my knowledge of the last 20 years Essex has never defeated an elite team (what I call a Tier one) in an away game (outside of Region A).

Radford was a Tier 2 at best. All knowledgeable sports folks knew whoever won the Essex v Gretna game (both Tier One teams) would roll the next team.

Goochland twice, Gretna, Altavista, Galax, Riverheads twice and the list goes on, all losses, all away.

The Riverheads or Essex (both Tier One) winner will easily win next week. I am pulling for the underdog Chilhowie and hope they can pull off the major upset!

I just hope they can keep it within 3 to 4 TDs.

I hadn't really thought about it that way, but in 93 we had a very good team, and we beat Sussex at home early in the season. We went 10-0 SCHS was 9-1 but had a higher power rating. We had to travel to them for the reg. Championship and lost the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT