ADVERTISEMENT

Game Recap Riverheads Goes Back-to-Back

TheSel2

VaPreps All Region
Staff
Apr 29, 2003
Riverheads-186.jpg

Coach Robert Casto is to Class 1 what Bill Belichick is to the NFL with his 5th title.

SALEM- Riverheads didn’t have to go to the air often like they did last weekend. The commitment was to run the football down the throat of the Warriors and that is exactly what Coach Robert Casto did in order to capture back-to-back titles. In doing so he also gave opponents for next what to expect. Facing and 4th and 2 early in the 1st, junior running back Devin Morris exploded down the home sideline for a 51-yard touchdown run to give Riverheads the early 7-0 lead.

Chilhowie could not find their rhythm as Riverheads would quickly take over after Zac Cale would fumble at his own 34. The Gladiators would pound their way inside the 5 and Jordan Dalton would cash in from a yard out. Riverheads seemed to be in complete control with a 14-0 lead to end the half.

Following another 3 and out for Chilhowie, Riverheads found themselves driving for the big 3rd touchdown when they would fumble at the Warrior 32 yard line. Chilhowie would find life. The Warriors began looking like the team that got here by going at their opponents. Cale had several key scrambles for yardage while Anthony Blevins and Greg Sanchez hit the hole well.

While approaching the redzone Sanchez would suffer an injury but the Warriors would keep marking. Facing a 3rd and 2 Cale appeared to have gotten the first down according to the official coming in spot but the ball would be placed back making it 4th and inches. The Warriors chose to run Cale from the pistol and the same would occur with the spot and the chains were brought out. Riverheads had held by an inch. The Warriors seemed completely drained after that effort.

Riverheads when then go on a 99-yard drive featuring Jackson Shover, Zac Smiley, Jordan, and Morris. The biggest play on the drive came on a beautiful play action pass from Tyler Smith to Forrest Shuey to help set up the continuation of the drive. They would end up at the 6 yard line with 12 seconds when Morris would sprint to the corner of the endzone to make it 21-0 at the half.

Chilhowie would not bow down as they take the opening drive of the 2nd half down the field. Momentum appeared to clearly be in their favor until they would fumble just outside the Riverheads 30. Riverheads would answer by pounding over and over with a trademark drive that was highlighted by a bruising 16 yard run by Jordan who would cash in the 4th score with a 1-yard run. 28-0 Gladiators.

The next drive completely took the life out of Chilhowie’s hopes of coming back as Riverheads nearly got a safety killing the drive on 3rd down. Then having to punt from their own 1-yard line would have it blocked. Jaden Phillips would jump on it to pretty much lock up the title to Riverheads.

Riverheads would get additional touchdown on a time consuming drive that ended with Tyler Smith get the score from a yard out before the running clock was called upon by the officials.

Morris led all rushers with 168 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns on the day. Jordan had 104 yards rushing and 2 scores in the big win.

Coach Robert Casto captures his 5th state championship and 2nd in a row. With Devin Morris, Zac Smiley, and Moose Lee returning next season the Gladiators are a favorite to capture their 3rd in a row next season.

The Riverheads dynasty is in effect as the Red Storm aka Big Red is the benchmark of Class 1 football again. Congratulations also to Chilhowie on a great season.

CHILHOWIE 0 0 0 0 - 0

RIVERHEADS 14 7 14 7 - 42

R- Morris 51-yard run (Peyton Skillman kick)

R- Jordan 1-yard run (Skillman kick)

R- Morris 6-yard run (Skillman kick)

R- Jordan 1-yard run (Skillman kick)

R- Block punt recovered by Phillips (Skillman kick)

R- T. Smith 1-yard run (Skillman kick)

Congrats to Casto's crew. Wish the Leemen could have gotten a victory in Salem as well, but proud of them nonetheless.

Reactions: uvacavs1
Just to add a few comments since most of the game has been covered.........

1) Two key fourth-down plays had a BIG hand in deciding this one. On Riverheads' first possession, they were facing 4th and 2 around midfield and everyone in red knew they would go for it. Chilhowie was expecting a run up the middle but RHS crossed them up with a sweep around the end for the TD by Morris. I am not sure but that may have been his first carry, which is why it caught them by surprise. Then the stop on fourth down at the 1 was HUGE. This game might have been totally different with a 14-7 halftime score. Then of course for Riverheads to drive 99 yards and score in just over three minutes was amazing in itself.

2) Chilhowie caught another early bad break. I think it was still 7-0 at the time when they threw a deep pass resulting in an interference call against the Gladiators down around the 20. However on the same play, the refs called an ineligible receiver, meaning the penalties offset.

3) Although you should not praise individual players for a team victory, I would certainly give Morris the game ball. Not only did he score twice, but he had another key run on something like 4th and 12 that led directly to the second RHS touchdown. He was in on some key defensive plays as well.

4) In Riverheads' five state championship wins, this was the first shutout, but as just described, it was barely one.

5) Essex has every right to claim "We're Number Two" and this game illustrates why the cross-bracketing idea should be used to make sure you do get the two best teams in the finals. I won't get into that Sussex debate since I never saw them.

6) Weather was not really that bad, although I did not stay for the second game and maybe it got worse. I talked with a neutral (Bath County) fan and former player, who remembered our 2000 game with them, but did NOT seem to remember how bitterly cold that one was.

7) Finally congrats to the Big Red and count me among the ones who did not think this year's team could do it. I figured replacing Schaefer alone would be too tall a task, not to mention Stokes, Hostetler and some others. So I would have to agree this was a big-time coaching job.

Reactions: Bama1985
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT