ADVERTISEMENT

Roanoke /Lynchburg/Valley Predictions

Drew Goodman

VaPreps Rookie
Staff
Feb 6, 2014
Week four of the Virginia High School Football season is here. After a bevy of blowouts last Friday night, many teams in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area are eager to take the field once again. This week's slate of games features a battle of option offenses, a heavyweight fight down I-81, and several other exciting non-district match ups. Let's take a closer look at this week's slate of games.

Game of the Week: Jefferson Forest at Staunton River:

Our game of the week brings together two of the highest scoring offenses in the state of Virginia. One team (Jefferson Forest) expected to be here, while the other is entering uncharted territory. Both teams were challenged last week, and the Cavaliers and Golden Eagles answered the call, and then some. Jefferson Forest entertained defending 3A State Champion Magna Vista, but sent the Warriors packing with a 53-20 defeat. Meanwhile, facing its toughest competition of the young season, Staunton River put up 69 points on Liberty Bedford.

In what I have officially dubbed "The Paul Johnson Classic" the Cavaliers and Golden Eagles will duke it out to see who has the best wishbone offense. While both option attacks have been unstoppable so far, the Cavaliers have undoubtably the most dangerous player on the field, in tailback Navy Jones. Jones has scored 13 touchdowns in the first three weeks of the season. In almost 20 games as a Cavalier, Jones has yet to find a defense fast enough to beat him to the edge, and the explosive senior can score nearly every time he touches the ball. Quarterback Cole Scott has looked better each and every week, and appears to have a newfound confidence in running this offense. Scott has a pair of elite tailbacks to pitch the ball to, and can make defenses pay his his underrated speed.

On the other side, Staunton River has already eclipsed its win total from a season to go, and the Golden Eagles have put the rest of the 3A West Region on notice. Jakob Divers' move from running back to QB has been a seamless transition, and sophomore Grayson Overstreet has established himself as an elite running back in just three short weeks. Overstreet is on pace for a record-breaking season running ball, and possess a rare combination of speed and power.

While we know plenty about Jefferson Forest, we do not know very much about Staunton River at this time. The Golden Eagles have looked like world beaters in the first three weeks, but the competition has been subpar. The Cavaliers on the other hand have tested themselves in the early season. JF owns victories over William Fleming, Patrick Henry, and Magna Vista, with its most impressive effort coming against the Warriors last week. Staunton River will be able to put up some points, but the Golden Eagles have not faced an offense of this caliber to date. Yes, Staunton River practices against the triple option every day, but there is no way to simulate Jones' speed, or the efficiency in which the Cavaliers run this offense.

Expect plenty of highlights, but a comfortable Jefferson Forest win.

The pick: Jefferson Forest 52, Staunton River 28

Roanoke Action:

Salem at Northside:

This is always one of the most anticipated games of the year in our area, and it would be our game of the week, had it not been to Staunton River's red-hot start to the season. Northside entered last season's contest as the walking wounded, preventing of what could have been a very entertaining game. The Vikings are a little healthier this year, but the Green and Yellow lost starting tailback Corey Williams to an ankle injury in last Friday's win of Hidden Valley. No word yet on Williams' status for this week's game.

In any event, Friday's contest will bring together two of the most exciting players in the 540, in Northside's Tra Jackson, and Donte Clayborne of Salem. Clayborne and the Spartans proved that they are still a force to be reckoned with last week, demolishing William Byrd, 49-21. As impressive as Salem was on offense against the Terriers, the Spartans pulled off the nearly-impossible on defense. Byrd tailback Larry Basham notched eight touchdowns in the first two weeks of the seasons, but the Spartans limited the talented sophomore to just 105 yards on the ground. With Northside's struggles up front, it is difficult for me to pick the Vikings in this one. I think the Northside defense will frustrate this Salem offense, but I have a hard time seeing the Vikings putting up many points themselves. I'm going with the Spartans in a defensive slugfest.

The pick: Salem 20, Northside 10

Fort Defiance at Lord Botetourt:

Prediction for this one? Pain… lots of it. Fort Defiance is off to an 0-3 start, having been outscored 181-28 in its first three games. The Indians will now face their most difficult opponent yet, and on the road no less. Lord Botetourt has looked excellent on defense this season, holding Bassett to minus-29 yard of total offense last week. To make matters worse for Fort Defiance, the Cavaliers will likely regain the services of start running back/defensive back Bradley Lythgoe on Friday. Lythgoe injured his knee over the summer, and this game will be a great tuneup for the talented senior, leading up to next Friday's tilt with Northside.

The pick: Lord Boetetourt 63, Fort Defiance 0

William Byrd at Magna Vista:

The Terriers and Warriors lost the two most high-profile games last week, and will both be eager to take the field once again this Friday night. After opening up the season with back-to-back double digit wins, Byrd was humbled at Salem in a 49-21 defeat. Up the road in Bedford, the Jefferson Forest-Magna Vista game had all the hype, but the Cavaliers relentlessly attacked the vaunted Magna Vista defense to the tune of 53 points. These are two very good football teams, but the Warriors are more versatile on offense. I look for the Magna Vista offense to hold onto the ball and cut down on its mistakes, and I like the Warrior defense to key in on Basham and stop the run. Expect the defending champs to bounce back with a big win at home.

The pick: Magna Vista 38, William Byrd 20

William Fleming at E.C. Glass:

This will be a battle of two city schools still looking to find their identities. Fleming did an admirable job defending Patrick Henry's explosive offense, but lost UVa commit cornerback Darius Bratton in the process. Quarterback Tyrell Adams went down as well, but the mobile signal-caller should be good to go. On the other side, head coach Jeff Woody is in the process of installing his up-tempo offense at a struggling Glass program. It has been a rough road so far, featuring suspensions, and a beating at the hands of G.W. Danville last week. Assuming Adams can regain his footing from two weeks ago, I like Fleming to win this one pretty easily.

The pick: William Fleming 30, E.C. Glass 13

Alleghany at Cave Spring:

Both of these teams could really use a win heading into the start of district play next week. Cave Spring finally gets a home game, following back-to-back road contests at William Byrd and Glenvar respectively. The Knights have been stagnant on offense, putting up just 23 points in the first two weeks. Meanwhile, like several teams in our area, Alleghany received a hefty dose of reality last week. After opening the season with blowout wins against Covington and Bath County, the Mountaineers were shutout against Rustburg last Friday night. Neither one of these teams has showed very much against equal competition, but I think Tyler Rice will have a breakout game running the ball for Cave Spring.

The pick: Cave Spring 26, Alleghany 16

Rockbridge County at Amherst:

Fresh off of its first win in 13 games, Rockbridge let an opportunity slip away against Robert E. Lee last week. On the flip side, Amherst is looking for its first win of the season, following a much-needed bye week. Both of these teams will face an uphill climb during district play, making this non-leauge matchup pivotal for the Wildcats and Lancers. Amherst took several steps forward in its loss down in Florida two weeks ago, and I'm going with Jerry Page and that deep stable of running backs to carry the Lancers to a much-needed win.

The pick: Amherst 23, Rockbridge 15

Patrick Henry at Albemarle:

This will be a battle of two schools that face similar scheduling conflicts year in and year out, and can relate plenty to one another. Albemarle is strong on defense, especially up front, and has had week off to get ready for Patrick Henry. However, one week is not enough time to prepare for Quishon Calfee and the PHS offense. Calfee, who is making a strong case for River Ridge District Player of the Year. is not the type of athlete that Albemarle is used to seeing. I look for the explosive QB to turn in his fourth impressive performance of the season.

The pick: Patrick Henry 37, Albemarle 13

Christiansburg at Franklin County:

Christiansburg might just be the unluckiest team in the area. One week after blowing a 22-point lead in a 30-29 loss to Giles, the injury bug bit the Blue Demons hard against Abington last Friday night. The shorthanded Demons struggled nightly in a 49-12 loss to the Falcons. With such a rough start to the season, a trip to Franklin County may be just what the doctor ordered for Tim Cromer's squad. The Blue Demons have plenty to work on, but I still think that Christiansburg has enough to win this one on the road.

The pick: Christiansburg 18, Franklin County 12

Blacksburg at Abington:

If you like good passing quarterbacks, than this is the game for you. Jake Sturgill will lead a high-flying Abington squad against Isaac Johnston and Blacksburg. The Bruins have had a week off to get ready for arguably their toughest road test of the season. As good as Blacksburg is on offense, I don't think that the Bruins can keep up with Strugill and Abington. The Falcons have four deadly wide receivers, and I look for the home team to improve to 2-0 against River Ridge foes this season.

The pick: Abington 41, Blacksburg 22

Liberty at Hidden Valley:

What a difference a year makes. Both of these schools were top-six playoff teams a year ago, but they have yet to recover from the massive losses due to graduation. The Titans have played an extremely difficult schedule thus far, but surrendering 42 points per game is not something that head coach Scott Weaver is accustomed to. Speaking of defensive struggles, Liberty is reeling after giving up 69 points to Staunton River last week. From a close win over Franklin County in week one, to a puzzling loss to Rockbirdge County the following Friday, the Minutemen have not shown very much this season. Despite the lopsided scores, I think Hidden Valley has grown a little bit in the past few weeks, and I'm taking the Titans in a close one.

The pick: Hidden Valley 29, Liberty 26

Lynchburg Games:

Brookville at Harrisonburg

To say that this Brookville defense has been good would be an understatement. The Bees have played 11 of 12 scoreless quarters, and have shutout two of their three opponents. While the defense was supposed to be strong, the offense, led by quarterback Dylan Ounffer has been a pleasant surprise. While the Bees have been firing on cylinders, Harrisburg received a bit of a wakeup call last week. After getting out to a surprising 2-0 start, the Blue Streaks were shutout at Charlottesville. The Black Knight defense is good, but this Brookville squad is better. Expect another dominating performance for Jon Meeks' club.

The pick: Brookville 42, Harrisonburg 0

Heritage at Gretna:

With contests against Brookville and Jefferson Forest looming, the Pioneers need this one bad. Heritage has managed just 19 points in the first two games, with very little signs of life on offense. Gretna is much improved from a season ago, but I'm going with a desperate Pioneer squad in a defensive battle.

The pick: Heritage 19, Gretna 14

Altavista at Rustburg:

Good news Rustburg fans… Juan Thornhill is now enrolled at the University of Virginia, and will not torment you anymore. This time around, the Red Devils have a mobile quarterback that will likely dictate the outcome of the game. Dante Jones has looked impressive so far, and the explosive junior can make plays on the ground and through the air. Altavista is still a good team, but I'm going with Jones and this veteran Rustburg squad to gain a measure of revenge.

The pick: Rustburg 33, Altavista 23

The Valley:

Broadway at Stuarts Draft:

Broadway has settled down nicely after taking a beating from Western Albemarle in week one. The Gobblers have responded with a pair of double digit wins, averaging 39 points per game in those two contests. On the other side, Draft let a golden opportunity slip away against a wounded-Waynesboro squad last week. The Cougars will not get that lucky again, as Kirk Rygol and the Gobblers are firing on all cylinders. I like Broadway to keep the momentum going.

The pick: Broadway 35, Stuarts Draft 14

Monticello at Spotswood:

One week after getting mauled by Lord Botetourt, Spotswood responded with an inspiring effort at Western Albemarle last Friday night. With Kobe Davis emerging as a legitimate receiving threat, this team has most of the pieces needed to compete, but the Blazers need to find a way to put it all together. Spotswood will receive a visit from a Monticello, who is riding-high following a second half rally at Turner Ashby. MHS looks to be the more complete team at this stage, and I'm going with the Mustangs on the road.

The pick: Monticello 27, Spotswood 17

Turner Ashby at Central Woodstock:

The 2015 season has been a mixed bag for TA thus far. Most recently, the Knights held a fourth-quarter lead, before watching Monticello storm back in the final eight minutes. This defense has taken its lumps, but Turner Ashby is headed in the right direction. I'm going with the 1-2 Knights to improve to 2-0 on the road.

The pick: Turner Ashby 28, Central Woodstock 21

Other picks:

Robert E. Lee 22, Goochland 20

Riverheads 37, Waynesboro 18

Buffalo Gap 32, Wilson Memorial 13

Luray 42, George Mason 7

Stonewall Jackson 13, Page County 6

Glenvar 28, Grayson County 20

Giles 51, Narrows 14

Auburn 48, Roanoke Catholic 7

Bath County 16, Pendelton 14

Parry McCluer 36, Nelson 13