ADVERTISEMENT

Roanoke/Lynchburg/Valley Week Nine

Drew Goodman

VaPreps Rookie
Staff
Feb 6, 2014
It is hard to believe, but we are almost through two months of the 2014 high school football season. Tonight’s slate will likely decide one district, and set the table for two other league races to be decided in the next two weeks. Let’s take another look at the loaded schedule in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area.

Game of the Week: Heritage at Liberty:
[/B]
Both of these teams are still alive in the race for the Seminole District, but the loser of this week’s game is likely eliminated. In addition, the Pioneers and Minutemen are ranked sixth and seventh respectively in 3A West, giving this contest major playoff implications. Nearly one year ago exactly, Heritage escaped City Stadium with a three-point win over Liberty in another high-stakes game.

The story of this year’s Liberty squad has been the improvement of its defense. After surrendering 88 points in the first three weeks, which included a blowout loss to Brookville, head coach Chris Watts put his defense on notice, and challenged the unit to step up in the latter part of the season. Watts’ troops have answered the call, as Liberty has won four in a row, and is giving up just 12 points per contest during the streak.

The Minutemen will need to bring their best effort of the season against running back Frankie Hickson and Heritage. Between Hickson and Kameron Harsely in the backfield, this will be the most dangerous rushing attack that Liberty has seen since its loss to Brookville. Hickson is close to 1,000 yards for the season, and Harsely has the breakaway speed that can send him to the end zone before the defense even knows what is going on. The Pioneers are averaging 45 points per contest, and even managed to score 44 in their only loss of the season.

Heritage has been flittering with disaster in the past couple of weeks against Rustburg and E.C. Glass, but this team simply knows how to win. The Pioneers live for games like this, and I look for the reigning Seminole District champs to pull off a huge road win to stay in the league race.

The Pick: Heritage 28, Liberty 24

Other Lynchburg Area Games:
[/B]
Jefferson Forest at Rustburg:

League-leading Jefferson Forest returns to the Seminole District grind after cruising by Turner Ashby last Friday night. The unbeaten Cavaliers will travel to face a Rustburg squad that has been down on its luck as of late. The Red Devils squandered opportunities all month, and have slipped to 2-5 on the season. Rustburg has improved on defense, but nobody has been able to figure out the Cavaliers’ vaunted wishbone attack this season. Anthony Lovelace and company will be able to put up points, but I can’t see this unit slowing down Navy Jones, Jason Ayers, and the option.

The Pick: Jefferson Forest 56, Rustburg 28

Amherst at E.C. Glass:

The Lancers picked up their first district win of the season last week against Rustburg and will look to make it two in a row against a struggling club from E.C. Glass. The Hilltoppers have lost five straight, but this team has shown no signs of giving up. Glass had Heritage on the ropes last week, but could not capitalize in the second half. Like Amherst early, the Hilltoppers have played a rugged schedule during their recent losing streak. Glass’ last five opponents boast a combined record 31-4. I believe that Donnie Morgan Jr. is hungry after being to held to under 100 total yards last week, and if he cannot go, Mann Murray has proved to be more than capable of shouldering the load. I think Glass wins a close one at home.

The Pick: E.C. Glass 33, Amherst 27

Roanoke Area Action:

William Fleming at Lord Botetourt:

The top game in the Roanoke Area this week will be a showdown for second place in the Blue Ridge District. William Fleming and Lord Botetourt are fighting for playoff position, and a win tonight would help both teams, particularly the Cavaliers, who enter this week ranked 14th in 3A West. Neither one of these squads has beaten anybody with a winning record, but they both pass the eye test with flying colors, and have multiple weapons that can strike at any time. Defensively, Botetourt allowed just 46 points in its first five games combined, but watched archrival Northside put up 33 in last week’s loss. As talented as this unit is, I believe the speed of Jerome Hill, Warren Craft, and Tyrell Adams will carry the day for William Fleming.

The Pick: William Fleming 27, Lord Botetourt 21

William Byrd at Northside:

William Byrd is riding-high after two straight wins, but we’ll see how good this team really is when defending state champion Northside comes to town. The Vikings took complete control of the district last week with a 33-21 triumph over Lord Botetourt. After being shutout by Salem last month, Northside has found it’s footing offensively, scoring at least 40 points in its last three games. The newfound offense is bad news for opponents, as the Vikings have always been stout on defense. The Terriers have one of the top running backs in the area in freshman Larry Basham, but Byrd will need much more than that if it hopes to keep up with the Vikings. I don’t think that this team is quite there yet.

The pick: Northside 41, William Byrd 17

Rockbridge County at Staunton River:

The good news is that somebody is going to get their first win! Staunton River has had a week off to regroup from its 28-0 shutout loss to William Fleming back on October 10th. Despite the lop-sided result, the Golden Eagles held the high-flying Colonels to just one touchdown in the first half. The overall record does not show it, but this team has close to breaking through this season. I think Staunton River ends the streak tonight against a Rockbridge County squad that can’t seem to stop anybody.

The Pick: Staunton River 35, Rockbridge County 23

Carroll County at Salem:

Though next week’s huge game with Hidden Valley is on the Horizon, don’t expect a letdown from undefeated Salem. Minus the first half against Patrick Henry in week two, this team has looked flawless all season, and will welcome a Carroll County squad that has not won a game since August. Expect the Spartans to wrap this one up early to keep everyone healthy and well rested for next week’s showdown with the Titans.

The pick: Salem, 63, Carroll County 6

Pulaski at Hidden Valley:

Hidden Valley makes its much-anticipated return to the field after a well-deserved bye last Friday night. As mentioned above, Hidden Valley has an enormous game against Salem next week, but it most get past Pulaski first. The Cougars saw their four-game winning streak come to an end last week in heart-breaking fashion against Cave Spring. Pulaski is one of the most improved offensive teams in the entire area, but the unit has not seen a defense as good as Hidden Valley’s. As long as the Titans do not get caught looking ahead to Salem, I think this team makes it seven in a row, to further stake claim to its number-one ranking in 3A West.

The Pick: Hidden Valley 28, Pulaski 10

Patrick Henry at Christiansburg:

Christiansburg climbed to .500 on the season with a 33-0 shutout win over Carroll County last week. Though it was not against the toughest of competition, the win was much needed, as it put an end to a three-game losing streak. The Blue Demons have four victories, but it has not beaten anybody with a winning record. If it is going to qualify for the playoffs, that needs to change. Patrick Henry has had two weeks to get ready for this one, and I can’t see Christiansburg’s inconsistent offense getting much going against the Patriots’ stingy defense.

The Pick: Patrick Henry 34, Christiansburg 14

Blacksburg at Gretna:

The Bruins will look to return to their winning ways, after three consecutive losses. Despite the lop-sided score a week ago, Blacksburg quarterback Isaac Johnston nearly threw for 200 yards against Salem’s vaunted defense…. not any easy task. This week, the Bruins will face a Gretna squad that is experiencing its worst season in nearly two decades. The Hawks have not won a game all year, and I look for Johnston and the Bruins to add to their misery.

The pick: Blacksburg 35, Gretna 12

The Valley

Broadway at Robert E. Lee:

The season does not end on October 24th, but the winner of this week’s Broadway-Lee game will likely wrap up the Valley District title. This contest will feature two of the area’s most explosive athletes at quarterback, in Broadway’s Kirk Rygol and Tavian Brown of Robert E. Lee. The Gobblers enter this week’s battle at 5-2, and ranked 10th in 3A West. On the other side, the Leeman have put together a turnaround for the second straight season, and are currently riding a four-game winning streak. While the quarterback-play for both teams is well documented, this game is going to come down to defense. I think Broadway is stronger on that side of the ball, and I like the Gobblers to take control of the Valley District.

The Pick: Broadway 36, Robert E. Lee. 29

Waynesboro at Fort Defiance:

Waynesboro had two opportunities to throw their hat in the district race, but could not knock off either Broadway or Lee. The Little Giants are likely out of the mix for the playoffs, but the Purple and Gold have a chance to finish the season at .500, which would be a huge step for this program. I think it will have a difficult time containing Esteban Ruiz-Hayes, but I think Waynesboro takes this one on the road.

The Pick: Waynesboro 34, Fort Defiance 20

Turner Ashby at Harrisonburg:

Neither one of these teams has shown very much this year. T.A.’s only victory came against winless Rockbridge County in September, and Harrisonburg’s only triumph was a one-point squeaker against Fort Defiance. The Blue Streaks just played on Monday night, and have a short week to get ready for this one. I think this will be yet another close game in the Valley, with the Knights picking the win on the road.

The Pick: Turner Ashby 23, Harrisonburg 16

The Shenandoah:

East Rockingham at Wilson Memorial:

Wilson Memorial suffered its first loss of the season to archrival Riverheads last Friday night. The Green Hornets will likely not win the district, but they will still be one of the top seeds in the playoffs. Speaking of the playoffs, East Rockingham is fighting for position itself. The Eagles came into the season with high hopes to knocking off either Wilson or Riverheads, but they drew both district heavyweights away from home. East Rockingham can light up a scoreboard, but this Green Hornet defense has surrendered just two touchdowns all season. One of those TDs, came last Friday, and I know that this unit will be hunting for another goose egg.

The Pick: Wilson Memorial 31, East Rockingham 0

Riverheads at Stonewall Jackson:

Riverheads will go from facing the best defense in the district last week, to arguably the worst unit this Friday night. There are not too many intriguing storylines heading into this week’s game. The Generals gave the Gladiators a little scare on their last trip to Quicksburg, but that is ancient history at this point. Look for Riverheads to score early and often in this one.

The Pick: Riverheads 59, Stonewall Jackson 13

Stuarts Draft at Luray:

Both of these teams know that their playoff hopes will be impacted by this game, and the picture will be clearer when the final whistle blows. Luray is currently in and has a chance to improve its seed, while Draft needs a win to stay in the hunt. While the Bulldogs are in better shape, the Cougars are entering this game with some momentum. Draft earned its most impressive win of the season last week, while Luray suffered a demoralizing loss to East Rockingham. I think this one comes down to the second half, but Luray wins this one at home.

The Pick: Luray 30, Stuarts Draft 26

Page County at Buffalo Gap:

Coming off of a two-win season in 2013, Buffalo Gap is in the mix to return to the post-season for the first time since 2009. With upcoming games against East Rockingham against Wilson Memorial, there is no room for error. Fortunately for Gap, it should be able to put away Page County in convincing fashion. I look for the Cougars to double their win total from last season.

The Pick: Buffalo Gap 41, Page County 16

Other 2A and 1A Games:

Radford at Giles County:

Radford and Giles County is a bitter rivalry that pits together two teams that do like each other very much. The Bobcats’ 4-3 record is deceiving, as Mathew Saunders’ squad played a brutal non-district schedule. Radford is coming off of its most impressive win to date last week against Auburn. This offense has come to life, and could be dangerous come playoff time. Gilles County is 7-0, and minus the first half against Galax, this team has looked the part of a state title contender all season. I think Radford will keep this one competitive, but Brett Whitlow will score his usual quartet of touchdowns, and the Spartans will win their 23rd straight game.

The Pick: Giles County 38, Radford 28

Auburn at Glenvar:

After winning four straight to start the season, this Auburn squad has fallen hard in the month of October. The Eagles have lost three straight by at least three touchdowns. This week could get ugly, as Auburn has not seen a defense as tough as Glenvar’s yet. The Highlanders are giving up just five points per contest, and held Lord Botetourt’s vaunted rushing attack to just two touchdowns earlier this year. Auburn has an excellent running game itself, but I can’t see it doing much against this stingy defense. Look for Glenvar running back Daryl Manns to eclipse 100 yards once again on the ground.

The Pick: Glenvar 42, Auburn 7

Narrows at Galax:

Galax ran for nearly 400 yards in last week’s win over Graham. This appears to be the team to beat in the Mountain Empire District, and I like Joseph Smith to have another big night running the ball.

The pick: Galax 47, Narrows 18

Parry McCluer at Covington:

With only a game at Bath County remaining, Covington is the only thing that stands in the way of McCluer achieving a perfect regular season. The Cougars have looked like an entirely different team in the last several weeks, winning three straight games. Last Friday’s dominating win over Pendelton County was impressive, but Covington has not beaten anybody else with a winning record this season. I think Ryheem Dawson has another big night to send the Fighting Blues to 9-0.

The pick: Parry McCluer 35, Covington 14

Bath County at Craig County:

Like the Staunton River/Rockbridge game, somebody is going to get their first win here. Neither team has inspired much confidence at all this year, but since Craig is at home, let’s go with the Rockets. Why not?

The Pick: Craig County 21, Bath County 12

Floyd County at Eastern Montgomery:

The high-flying Mustangs have been held to just 12 points in the last two weeks against two of the 2A’s best teams. A visit from Floyd County could be just what the doctor ordered, as the Buffalos are giving up an average of 37 points per game this fall. I like Eastern to climb to .500 on the season.

The Pick: Eastern Montgomery 40, Floyd County 10

Greenbrier West (WV) at James River:

The Knights are riding high after their first win of the season. Yes it is 1-6, but this team has had some close calls, and is not nearly as bad as its record indicates. I think James River steals this one at home.

The Pick: James River 27, Greenbrier West 26
This post was edited on 10/24 1:23 PM by VaPrepsRod

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News