ADVERTISEMENT

Sad and disappointing news to report.

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
The Progress Index, the local newspaper for the Petersburg area, reported that All State Hopewell player, Tabyus Taylor, and his brother are being held in the Riverside Regional Jail on five charges, including armed robbery.

Sad news

I was just told that Ken Baxter died of a heart attack this morning. I post details as I get them.

Please keep Judy and Traci in your prayers.

Wow- that is sad and surprising- doesn't he have an offer from Tennessee ?

Re: Sad news

Very sad news indeed. Great Cougar with a great family.

Originally posted by Lafayette:
Wow- that is sad and surprising- doesn't he have an offer from Tennessee ?
No, Darrell Taylor has the Tennessee offer.

Tabyus graduated last year and signed with VT, but did not qualify and headed to a prep school (not sure which) for this year.

Oh my word. Thoughts and prayers, Ken and his wife have done so much for the department.

Oh my. It is hard to find any words right now ...

Here is a release from the athletics department regarding Ken's passing:

Houston Athletics Mourns the Passing of Long-Time Supporter Ken Baxter

HOUSTON ? [/B]Ken Baxter, a long-time University of Houston Athletics supporter, passed away early Monday morning from a heart attack. He was 71 years old.

Baxter, who was a Distinguished Service Award honoree from the UH Alumni Association, supported the University in several ways, including Houston Athletics, Cougar Pride and UHAA.

He served as president of Taxi Squad, the Athletics Department's fundraising arm in the 1980s and 1990s, and was a board member of the Houston Athletics Foundation.

Baxter received the Bill Yeoman Special Achievement Award in2004 and was named the University's Athletics Volunteer of the Decade in 2010. For his dedication and sacrifice through the years, he also was made an honorary member of the "H" Association, an organization composed of former letterwinners.

"Ken was a valued member of the Houston Athletics family, and we are deeply saddened by his loss," Vice President for Intercollegiate Athletics Mack Rhoades said. "As the years passed, his commitment and support of our University remained strong and was a source of inspiration to those around him. You could not meet a finer person than Ken, and he will long be remembered for his generosity in so many ways. Our prayers go out to Judy, Traci and Pat during this difficult time."

"His passion and dedication to Houston Athletics were evident in all that he did, and I know that everyone within our program will miss him," Football Head Coach Tony Levine said. "More importantly, he was an inspiration to me as a husband and as a father."

Baxter is survived by his wife, Judy, his daughter Traci Cauley ? who serves as the director of operations for the Houston Baseball team ? and his son-in-law Pat Cauley, all three of whom are proud UH graduates.

Funeral services are pending and will be released as they are made available.

This is a sad day for all Cougars. Lots of great memories with this family, Ken was the best! RIP Pops.

Very Classy move to rename the Football Banquet in Ken's honor moving forward. No one did more voluntarily than he did for this program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT