ADVERTISEMENT

So Confused About This New Playoff Format

Phoebus Fan

VaPreps All Region
Jul 12, 2003
So last night I was at Woodside to see the Monitor Merimac conference semi finals. Woodside completely blew out Grassfield and Kecoughtan did the same to Bethel. Now Woodside will play Kecoughtan (both boys and girls) on Wednesday at the Norfolk Scope for the Monitor Merimac championship. The confusing thing to me is if this is like a district championship with regionals to go or is this the regional field? Is there a bracket somewhere online? I thought the football playoffs were confusing...literally no one in the stands last night knew what happens after Woodside and Kecoughtan play Wednesday.

Sidenote: Woodside's sophomore Chris Orlina is the next big thing from 757 flat out BEAST. D1 schools will be knocking on his door this summer. Hopefully Boo gets him and a couple of other players from this team.

For the girls the final tomorrow is win or go home.. As the M-M Conference decided to go with an automatic birth for the regular season champ so Bethel will be the #1 seed for that conference in the regionals. The winner of Woodside and Kecoughtan girls game will move on to the regionals with the losers season being over. Some conferences awarded automatic bids for their champion.

Top Half

6A South for girls will be
Conference 1 #1 First Colonial (regular season champ)
Monitor Merrimack #2 Woodside

Monitor Merrimack #1 Bethel (regular season champ)
Conference 1 #2 Landstown

Bottom Half

Conference 3 #1 ??
Conference 4 #2

Conference 4 #1
Conference 3 #2

Basically the Tidewater teams will eliminate each other and then play the best team from Conferences 3 and 4 in the 6A South finals... Then both teams will advance to state semifinals where the winner will stay home at ODU or VCU depending on who wins and the loser will go on the road then the two winners of those games meet for title.

Top Half

6A South for boys will be
Conference 1 #1 Landstown (regular season champ)
Monitor Merrimack #2 Kecoughtan

Monitor Merrimack #1 Woodside (regular season champ)
Conference 1 #2 Tallwood

Bottom Half

Conference 3 #1 ??
Conference 4 #2

Conference 4 #1
Conference 3 #2

This post was edited on 2/19 10:33 PM by DEVILSLB99

So the south is only putting 8 teams in the regional tourney instead of 16? Is the north doing this or is it the standard 16? I am with you, this is so confusing.

6A North is going with 16 in all their regional tournaments. Surprised that the South didn't also have 16, or at least 12, since both the Eastern and Central Regions had 16-team tournaments.

This post was edited on 2/20 9:26 PM by otnorot

Ok I'm even more confused now that I see Maury will play Green and Menchville will play Warwick. Is there now 6 state titles for basketball too? It's honestly too much going on and too many games to keep up with in one area. If there are 6 state titles given out now then the city of Hampton, for example, could possibly have 3 state titles out of 4 schools in one year in the future which would jus tbe plain dumb.

Yes 6 state champs in basketball. Hampton could have 3 champs in one city.

Yeah, I just though it was strange since they used to go with 16 in that area.

This post was edited on 2/21 2:16 PM by otnorot

Were you the one in October telling how Tidewater was going to have six state champs in football?
wink.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT