ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Games - Kickoffs now at 12:00PM and 5:00PM - Tickets now $12 for Semis and Finals

Virginia HS Football Fan

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Jun 8, 2001
Several recent VHSL meeting agendas and minutes have been quietly posted on the VHSL website in the past week or so. Two things that struck my eye. The first is that the second game on State Championship Saturday is now kicking off at 5:00PM. The other is that tickets are now $12 for the state semifinals and finals.

The 4:30PM kick was already ridiculous. And for many years after moving to neutral sites in 1998, the second game kicked off at 4:00PM which was fine and made things bearable for those wanting to watch both games.

Now, if you want to stay for both games at a single site, this makes for a much longer day with the 5:00PM Kick for Game 2. And of course, the VHSL has a pretty strict no re-entry policy which makes this even more annoying.

More ineptitude by the VHSL. Other states have four hours in between games and there are no issues. But you can tell that the VHSL runs the events as bare bones as possible so I'm not shocked. They said they need more time to turn around the facilities, but that would easily be accomplished if they increased their game management staff.

Reactions: falcettik
I know it will never happen but I like how Texas staggers the games so no championship is going on at the same time. Sucks trying to catch all of these games with our current setup.

I know it will never happen but I like how Texas staggers the games so no championship is going on at the same time. Sucks trying to catch all of these games with our current setup.
You read my mind. I wish the VHSL would pay someone at the UIL to come up here and make a total evaluation of the league. In Texas; other than the first day (Wednesday), where the two Six-Man titles are decided and the schedule is 11:00AM, 2:00PM, and 7:00PM, the schedule for the other three days are 11:00AM, 3:00PM, and 7:00PM.

And I attended the Class 3 and Class 4 Title Games at Liberty in December. I find it funny they talk about turnaround time when in fact, there was nobody from the VHSL doing anything for several minutes in between games.

But when you look at the minutes, it seems like the League is more focused on other things besides running its biggest moneymaking event.

I still want to know what was the reason for splitting the basketball championships into two sessions. They certainly haven't been drawing overflow crowds.

Would be nice if they played all the football championships at the same site but that has to be weighed against the impact of moving some games to worse timeslots. Maryland does one game Thursday, two games Friday, three games Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT