ADVERTISEMENT

The One Game Virginia High School Football Fans Need

Kenneth Harris

VaPreps Varsity
Jun 22, 2022
Everything should be brought to a halt. Stop the VHSL playoffs right where they are. Find a neutral field. On one side; The D6 Freedom Eagles. On the other; The D3 Phoebus Phantoms. For all the marbles in the pot. Let's make it happen!

Last edited:
Reactions: phoebus2023
Everything should be brought to a halt. Stop the VHSL playoffs right where they are. Find a neutral field. On one side; The D6 Freedom Eagles. On the other; The D3 Phoebus Phantoms. For all the marbles in the pot. Let's make it happen!
I admire your support of the Phantoms, but this would not be a close game. Sorry.

I admire your support of the Phantoms, but this would not be a close game. Sorry.
I am more of a fan of Va high school football when I am not working. I graduated from Phoebus. I have covered high school football games in Virginia, Maryland, DC and North Carolina since 2003. My post was made more out of fun than anything else. But I think the same thing would happen in a Freedom match up as when Phoebus played Dematha. Many went into that game thinking the Stags would run past Phoebus. It would be close. But I am trying to speak it into existence as a scrimmage. Maybe next year? As an aside, I don't think people appreciate how far Oscar Smith has fallen. How bad they are. Western Branch and OS are pretty even. Phoebus won by 56. Freedom won by 55. Or am I not adding and subtracting correctly? Now if you have the He-Man power to get the ball rolling on an Eagle/Phantom scrimmage I will buy a ticket and food at the game.

I am more of a fan of Va high school football when I am not working. I graduated from Phoebus. I have covered high school football games in Virginia, Maryland, DC and North Carolina since 2003. My post was made more out of fun than anything else. But I think the same thing would happen in a Freedom match up as when Phoebus played Dematha. Many went into that game thinking the Stags would run past Phoebus. It would be close. But I am trying to speak it into existence as a scrimmage. Maybe next year? As an aside, I don't think people appreciate how far Oscar Smith has fallen. How bad they are. Western Branch and OS are pretty even. Phoebus won by 56. Freedom won by 55. Or am I not adding and subtracting correctly? Now if you have the He-Man power to get the ball rolling on an Eagle/Phantom scrimmage I will buy a ticket and food at the game.
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post's intent (about a scrimmage/being fun). I agree that certain matchups would be great to see but for a host of reasons they rarely pan out. I won't even get into the private (WCAC) vs VA public debate because that is like comparing a standard sports car to a Ferrari-it just ain't the same. like it or not. I am not a Freedom fan but I have to give them the credit they are due-that offense is superb and the defense, although I would not classify it on that level, is very solid because of the athleticism they have.

PS Agree also on Smith-they are solid but not on the level they have been the past decade or so. It comes and goes. As you can see, I follow Westfield and know all too well the ebb and flow of quality and success of a team. It is very, very hard to sustain.

Reactions: Kenneth Harris
Sorry if I misinterpreted your post's intent (about a scrimmage/being fun). I agree that certain matchups would be great to see but for a host of reasons they rarely pan out. I won't even get into the private (WCAC) vs VA public debate because that is like comparing a standard sports car to a Ferrari-it just ain't the same. like it or not. I am not a Freedom fan but I have to give them the credit they are due-that offense is superb and the defense, although I would not classify it on that level, is very solid because of the athleticism they have.
I have said the same, Freedom has done something extremely special this year. We should appreciate it while it is happening. When Centreville was the D6 runner-up in 2014 they played this DC private school from the neighborhood I lived in; Gonzaga. Some years the talent in the WCAC varies when compared to Va public. One year Gonzaga beats Centreville 31-14. Another year Phoebus plays DeMatha close losing 24-20. But it would be nice to see the offense of Freedom against the defense of Phoebus. Enjoy the rest of the season.

Reactions: CavsGrad
Game of the century would be all the arm chair monday quaterbacks and coaches strap it up and play a game. lol

All what marbles?! 2nd place?! There’s a team sitting in D5 that is ranked nationally ahead of both of these teams with a BETTER season long resume.

All what marbles?! 2nd place?! There’s a team sitting in D5 that is ranked nationally ahead of both of these teams with a BETTER season long resume.
Everyone loves the Springers so much that if they get anymore love they will play their next game in soppy wet uniforms. Can't we spread some of that love to Phoebus and Freedom? The Springers sprung unto the scene and seemingly have no intentions of springing away. We love the Springers. I love the Springers. You obviously love the Springers. Tell you what. The Freedom/Phoebus winner gets Highland Springs on my old playground in Petersburg and we'll call it neutral ground. 🌹peace & love

Everyone loves the Springers so much that if they get anymore love they will play their next game in soppy wet uniforms. Can't we spread some of that love to Phoebus and Freedom? The Springers sprung unto the scene and seemingly have no intentions of springing away. We love the Springers. I love the Springers. You obviously love the Springers. Tell you what. The Freedom/Phoebus winner gets Highland Springs on my old playground in Petersburg and we'll call it neutral ground. 🌹peace & love
I truly think all 3 teams are close to the same level!

I truly think all 3 teams are close to the same level!
With consideration that Freedom took down Western Branch by 55 and Phoebus beat OS by 56 that's about as close as we are getting to an actually game between the two. Stone Bridge made HS look mortal this weekend. Either way we have quality public school football teams in Va.

Reactions: Big Drop
I love this one! Yes, the Springers have sprung! Their 6th State Championship appearance in 8 years, winning 4! Could this be #5 in 8 years? Very possible!... and with HS returning a large portion of this team next year to Class 6, HS will be at or near the top of the Class 6 standings. Let's hope for a matchup of HSHS and Freedom next year!!!! That will be a barn burner!

• Love
Reactions: Kenneth Harris
I would love to see any of those 3 teams match up against each other. Watching Freedom throw a double pass while they are up 50 in the second half makes me doubt how tough they actually are. Both Phoebus and Highland Springs are so well coached and have a lot of talent. Both teams know how to win and have done it for a very long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT