ADVERTISEMENT

This is not an umpire question but rather a scoring question

X-Spy

VaPreps All Region
May 31, 2002
team A has a man on first. team B calls a pitch out, and the runner is on the move. the catcher throws the ball right to where the runner would slide in and possibly be out. Problem neither the 2b or ss cover the bag.

As much as I didn't want to do it I had to give the catcher the error as he threw the ball to an unoccupied base. The throw was great. just no one covering. The runner does a stolen base, but when he advanced to third he advanced on the error.

IS there actually anything in the scoring book that allows for a team error? That is what I really wanted to do. The catcher did his job, and I hate seeing him get the error, but because his teammates didn't do their job they set up the catcher for the error.

Seen same play a bunch this year

Saw it in college softball over and over. The team I see a lot has a stud SS who also pitches. When pitching the backup SS doesn't get to the same throwdowns that the starter gets to. Catcher has great throws to the same place every time but the backup SS doesn't react quick enough to get there. So the catcher ended up with a bunch of errors whenever the starting SS was pitching. Hate it for great catchers who place throws where they should be but don't have fielders where they should be.

Re: Seen same play a bunch this year

I am not sure what the "book" says on this play, but if I were scoring, I would not give anyone an error. there are plays where mental errors are not charged, thus they don't show up in box score.

The runner advance the third, there needs to be an accounting for that. That is why like the team error concept. On the particular play in the game I was at as second error occurred when the CF through the ball past third and runner ended up scoring. Felt like I was watching little league at the moment. The game outside of that was excellently pitched and played by both teams.

It's an E2. Some errors aren't fair.

I marked E2, Just non thinking on someone else's part.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT