ADVERTISEMENT

Travel

Aug 21, 2014
North Cross is traveling 2400 miles to play five away football games, Atlantic Shores, Nansemond-Suffolk, IOW, Christchurch School, and Blue Ridge. Only two games are due to conference affiliation. Any interest in a regional setup that requires schools in region to play each other to cut down on travel expenses? Carlisle dropped program, Roanoke Catholic only schedules public 1A teams, and Fishburne won't schedule. Thanks to BS-H for manning up.

Would a regional set up work without requiring teams in different divisions to play each other? Who else could North Cross play other than Roanoke Catholic and Fishburne?

Have to say, North Cross is in a tough place. Between location and success theirs not much they can do. They are in a conference with some distance. Christchurch being the farthest. Then the Coach has built a quality program and played for state titles so no one who doesn't want to play them won't. I may be wrong but outside of LCA, would Fuqua be the next closest. Would be like putting the old VIC back together.

No matter what happens the privates and preps will have to travel. That said the problem starts with teams that try to cherry pick their schedules so they can get in the playoffs and this is compounded by VISAA who does nothing to force competition for teams that are in the same divisions. The more competitive teams always suffer from their success which results in more travel, always playing up or teams that will not schedule them. VISAA needs to implement a policy that forces teams to play at least 8 games against division opponents to be eligible for playoff consideration. This would leave room for rivalries and other opportunities for each team.

Your arguments here don't really help. If NC had to play 8 division opponents, they would travel even more. There are only 10 DIII teams including NC. Norfolk Christian is not fielding a varsity team which would mean they would have to play all the other DIII teams. That would be Portsmouth, Greenbriar, HRA, FCA on top of the already scheduled Covenant, CCS, VES and Atlantic Shores. that would also mean they would have to drop a conference opponent as Hargrave, STAB and Blue Ridge are DII (and are close than most schools to NC). This would also be difficult to schedule as the divisions change as enrollment can change pretty significantly moving a school up or down a division.

I believe I stated that traveling for the private schools come with the territory. It seems like all the schools want to have it there way. If the schools in the same divisions don't have to play each other then why bother having the divisions? The schools can only move up or down every 2 years.

Some schools are also focused on playing a certain type of school. "Like" Schools is something I oft hear but lets be honest, some schools just don't want to play certain schools. I'll take my lump here or there but you can't force me... thats why we are independent.... Sad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT