ADVERTISEMENT

Trinity Episcopal 37 Bishop Sullivan 21 Final

wgarlick

Writer Virginiapreps.Rivals.Com
Staff
Jul 4, 2006
Trinity Episcopal advanced to their first State football championship game by defeating defending D2 State champion Bishop Sullivan 37-21 in Virginia Beach.. It was the second win by the Titans over the Crusaders this year. Wake Forest recruit Jack Freudenthal scored two rushing touchdowns and seem to make every big defensive play including an interception, a deflected pass and three sacks.

After a surprisingly low scoring first half (14-7), the Titans converted two Will Michael onside kicks into touchdowns to take a 28-7 lead with 7:28 to go in the third quarter.

We have a great kicker in Will Michael and he can place the ball," Trinity Episcopal Head Coach Sam Mickens said. "We thought we had a shot (at the onside kick) with the way the wind was blowing. It worked the first time so we did I told him to kick it again the same way and it worked the second time. That really turned the tide of the game. "

Quarterback Blake Bowen scored from two yards out on the 1st possession and then found Trevion Armstrong on a fade rout a few minutes later to open a three touchdown lead. Bowen finished 22 of 39 passing for 304 yards while rushing for two scores while rushing for 45 yards.

The game was far from over and the Crusaders, showing the spirit of a champion, fought back with two quick scores. George Wahee juked a receiver to turn a pass from Blake LaRussa into a 63-yard touchdown strike just before the end of the third quarter. Kevin Hicks broke free on a 46-yard run to setup a LaRussa touchdown pass to Nick Pierce to cut the lead to 28-21 with 10:32 to go in regulation.

The key play of the game came with the Titans holding a one touchdown lead and facing a 3rd-and-27 from their own 14-yard line. Bowen threw downfield completing a 38-yard pass to junior Jake Brown for a 1st down. The drive ended with a clutch 33-yard field goal by Michael to make it a two score game. Freudenthal added a late 1-yard touchdown in the final minute to put the game out of reach.

Player of the Game

Besides the hurdling penalty for jumping over a defender, Freudenthal had a great game. He scored two rushing touchdowns while rushing for 80 yards on 15 carries. He was the star of the defense with three sacks, an interception, and a batted ball. His pressure on Blake LaRussa was key to holding Bishop Ireton to only three touchdowns.

"I knew he saw me coming with the blitz because he's a really smart quarterback," Freudenthal said. "I would do an opposite call where the end would go outside I would come inside and beat the running back. I didn't slow up because last game he got outside of me so this game I went I would slow and go right thru him."

This post was edited on 11/8 8:43 AM by wgarlick

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT